CPA Censorship

T

theorgg

Actually, the origins of the "birdie" finger and the spelling of the word meaning "to have sex" are interesting and come from a long time ago in Gizmo's homeland.

The Picts, or the scottish/irishmen of Ole Englanne somtimes used the bow&arrow to shoot people with.

The finger they used to shoot the arrow was the longest one of the hand, typically called the "index" finger for some unknown reason. They would give the "birdie" jesture as a taunt that they still could shoot an opponent. They would say they could "pluck you off" with that finger in essence, as to pluck was a synonym(or was metonomy, take your pick) of using a bow-and-arrow.

The word's connotation and spelling came from an interdict that people could only praticipate in sexual acts if the king permitted it and o.k.'d the union. He could also force a couple into it.

The lucky(or unlucky) couple had a sign that said Fornication Under Consent of the King.

It implies a more loveless relationship, and perhapse more of a forced union due to the possibilities of a forced "F. Purrrr. C. K."(edit if this is unacceptable) as the sign said in abbriviation.

A

Apollo

To clarify the birdie thing, opposing generals would cut off the middle three fingers of the archers. These archers would hold up those three fingers to say "neiner, neiner, I can still stick you full of really big arrows."

Since then, those three fingers have somehow shortened to just the middle one.

H

Hetemti

Roger that, Spidy.

I got two sentences into that and thought..."what the Sam Hill is he talking about?"

And who's Sam Hill? Well...I can't confirm this :)p) but the story I heard was he was a really rich guy who loved doing odd projects, like building a reproduction of stonehenge, with his money.

Apparently, members of his social circles would oft ask "what's Sam Hill up to?"...and it was corrupted from there.

Chances are, that's all BS, but I don't care. I'm bored today, so I'm postin' it.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Trying to make me look up more stuff, eh?

I couldn't find a reference to Sam Hill after a quick search on the website. It's probably with "What in tarnation" or something... :D

Ransac

CPA Trash Man
I have no oinking idea what the oink is going on here. I just like to oink!

I don't cuss any more. Spiderman can testify to that. I just say oink. Spiderman gets a kick out of when I do it myself.

Ransac, cpa trash man

R

Rando

#1 When ever I post a naughty word, I almost never, NEVER, get it clipped by a mod. Don't know why I'm so special.

#2 Sam Hill is a coruption of Samhain, the ancient druidic harvest festival that occured on October 31st, later changed to All Hallows Eve when christianity took over. (the next day being All Saints Day), and then changed to Halloween.

Over the years, as anything non-christian was twisted in the public's mind into being evil, Samhain morphed into Sam Hill, which became a euphamisim for Satan.

#3 The so-called "F" word has no real historical beginings that is known to us today. We do know that it is a very old word, and many, including myself, think that it was used to mean exactly what it is referring to. They had to give it some kind of word, right? But, there is another unsubstantiated tale that says it is a shortening and coruption of some scandinavian word that sounded something like Fauken, which means "to pound together". As I said, there is no real evidence to support this, but neither is there evidence to support the 5 or 6 versions of the Fornication under the King story.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Rando:

1) You must not be posting any of the Dirty Seven or a use of the Small Four. 'Cause if I see it, I clip it. :)

3) Didn't you check out the link, it pretty much says it right there where it might have come from.

R

Rando

Originally posted by Spiderman
Rando:

1) You must not be posting any of the Dirty Seven or a use of the Small Four. 'Cause if I see it, I clip it. :)

3) Didn't you check out the link, it pretty much says it right there where it might have come from.
Re: #1 Yes I do, and everyone breezes over it. Maybe just no one reads my posts.

Re: #2 Nothing to see here, please move on, you did not say anything about #2.

Re: #3 What do you think I do, read threads before I reply?

OK, just read it, and all I can say is "Cool, glad to see I knew what I was talking about."

R

Rando

Maybe it's just my smooth, suave diction and otherwise perfect grammer that causes you to ignore otherwise offensive material, because I make it fit so fluidly into my prose. ;)

Or, maybe I'm just full of this "oink" stuff is silly . :eek:

[Edit: It has been done ;) -Spidey]

Ha! There's one for ya to edit! :p

Ha ho! Won't happen again, but I couldn't resist. :D

Thus concludes the most smilee-ridden post I've ever made.

[:cool: Spidey felt the need to interdict with his own smilie. I think I'll join him. - Some Mod Who Shall Remain Nameless]

[I wonder how many smilies we can fit in here...:)]

[Seven? :cool:]

[Come on guys, you can do better then that! - Rando] :)

A

Apollo

Well! I heard that middle finger story from an old history teacher of mine, probably the best teacher I've ever had. I'm amazed that he was misled by anything... but I guess nobody's quite perfect, cause snopes sounds right here.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
People just hear or remember reading something a while back and since it makes sense, they don't dig deeper. I know people who swear that "Ring Around the Rosie" is about the plague (I think we already talked about this in Off-Topic a while ago) or "Twelve Days of Christmas" is actually some coded reference to Christianity. Stuff like that... it's like a "weird" fact you want to someday relate to someone, but it turns out to be wrong :)