Could Onslaught make an Insect deck viable?

J

Jigglypuff

Something like this, perhaps?

4 Saber Ants
4 Symbiotic Elf
4 Symbiotic Beast
2 Symbiotic Wurm
4 Llanowar Elves
4 Volcanic Wind
4 Spidersilk Armor
3 Goblin Bombardment
2 Coat of Arms
4 Creeping Mold
3 Pillage
4 Taiga
18 basic lands

The deck would operate by getting out the Symbiotic creatures and saccing them to the Bombardment to get the Insect tokens. The tokens could fuel a huge Volcanic Wind to remove the defenses and attack for the win.

What do you guys think?
(- Steve -)

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
If not, and only because I thought of it right away when I saw "Insect deck", is there room for Deadly Insect? Otherwise, I like your idea...

M

Mikeymike

I'm just going to throw out some random ideas that could work in here, but they all go in slightly different directions so I won't make exact replacements.

That new Gigapede is an animal, that should be included. Granted it wants to be in another madness build, but its still strong without it.

Also, you might as well play Naturalize instead of Creeping Mold. Its doesn't hit lands, but its half the price and an instant. Are lands that vital to you that you need to run Pillage? Cut these 2 to leave open, and then run a Strip Mine and 1 Dustbowl instead.

Sneak Attack would work very[/b] well with the new Symbiotes, allowing them to come out lightning fast. I probably wouldn't run it in here though, as it's not the type of card that you can just drop in a deck. But keep it in mind.

Also, you could use some card-drawing. I'd recommend good old Greater Good, its nets you card advantage and kills you insect makers.

Oh yeah, add 1 Sol Ring and 1 Basalt/Grim Monolith. You've got some big boys in here and need a little bit of speed.

J

Jigglypuff

Thanks for the suggestions, Mikey. I threw this deck together in a couple of minutes after I read the spoiler so I didn't really think about what cards to use other the Symbiotes and the Saber Ants.

(- Steve -)

R

rkoelsch

Yavimaya ants have trample if I'm not mistaken.

PS- Your lead in wizards

C

Captain Caveman

Off Topic somewhat!

I glanced at the onslaught spoiler and thought "Tribes." I'm
looking forward to getting some of the cards. My Soldiers deck
should get a little better. I hope!

As for Insects, Saber Ants and the new Symbiotic guys should
be great together. It might be kind of interesting to play them
with Sneak Attack like MM said.

Anyway, keep tossing out those ideas.

"PS- Your lead in wizards"

I second that!

Caveman

K

Killerbob

dont you feel bad about using goblin bombardment in an insect deck?
Instead it should be possible, to make a build around altar of dementia. This card is fairly race-neutral. It will take longer time to kill your opponent, but that just means more fun!

J

Jigglypuff

Actually, I do not feel bad about using Goblin Bombardment in an Insect deck. Besides, I hate Altar of Dementia and it can't be used to deal with problematic creatures and players. Not to mention that Roar of the Wurm is everywhere and I would not like to mill one of those. And I don't think that decking is fun at all.

(- Steve -)

T

train

I'm glad I have Orkin contracted to take care of my insects - I'll keep them in sideboards in case I have to call them up...

J

Jigglypuff

You might think that the Orkin Man will save you from the mighty horde of insects, but you'd be wrong!! The insects will rule the world! Besides, I can always sac them in response.

(- Steve -)

M

Mikeymike

PS- Your lead in wizards
Are you saying (asking) someone else should take the lead in constructing the first Wizard deck? You want type 1 or type 2?

Also, check out this little guy
Broodhatch Nantuko 1G
Creature - Insect Druid U
Whenever Broodhatch Nantuko is dealt damage, you may put that many 1/1 green Insect creature tokens into play.
Morph 2G
1/1

Now he's not as good as the Saber Ants, but he is cheaper - and to block and Morph with him would be supa-sneaky. The only thing is, after your opponents see him work once they will know what ever face down creature is.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Are you saying (asking) someone else should take the lead in constructing the first Wizard deck? You want type 1 or type 2?
No no, it's a game I'm running in Games Run By CPA Members...

C

Captain Caveman

Ok, I'm out to lunch or something. I thought Richard was asking
JP to post a Wizard deck and I was going to second that request.

My bad....

Cavemen, are kind of slow.....:D

T

train

Since someone wants it, we might as well request it....

JP could you please post a Wizard deck for everyone else - I punch U mages in the nose...

J

Jigglypuff

Sure, I'll do it. Give me a few minutes, I've got some Top Ramen on the stove. The joys of college life...

(- Steve -)

T

train

It may be that this is TX. - but We can still buy 8 Top Ramen for 1.00 and I did just that Sun. morning!!!
Oriental, Shrimp, Beef, and Chicken and Mushrooms - Those are just awesome!!!