Coolest Artwork ever -- Vote here

M

Mikeymike

The artwork is what drew me into this game in the first place, and I would love hear what everyone's favorites are. This is research for entries into my "Magic's Sweetest Artwork" binder.

I'd like to know:
Favorite Cards
Favorite Artists
Favorite Artwork by Set (Mine is Prophecy, then Visions)

My personal Faves are (although I have about 20 that I like):
5: Christopher Moeller. He half-asses some of his pieces, and gets completely into it with others. Great usage of color.
4: RK Post. I find some of his pieces kind of strange and akward, and some just absolutely amazing. The legend.
3: Richard Kane Ferguson. The chaos painter, I think everyone has a soft spot for him. I hope to see his work in future sets b/c he's been MIA for awhile now.
2: D. Alexander Gregory. Talk about emotion, his pieces ooze with it.
1: Kev Walker. IMHO his attention to detail is second to none.

Cards:
Cursed Scroll
Argothian Wurm
Argothian Enchantress (she's a fox, so what)
Copper-Leaf Angel
Wild Wurm
Elder Land-Wurm
Pacifism (Mirage)
Desertion
Undo
Goblin Tinkerer

And my new all-time Favorite piece of art ever: Abolish What a killer card.

P

Phyrexian Pie-Eater

My two favorites are Brom, and RK post. As for my favorite Card art i have another tie, but this is a 3-way. Spencer's Armor Thrull, Dermot Power's Amok, and Daniel Gelon's Rag man. Rag man cuz he scares the bajesus out of me, amok cuz its Crovax layin' some smack down on a shapeshifter(hate those bastards) and the thrull cuz he looks mean and pointy.

Y

Y The Alien

Tag Guard

Fav Artist: Brom.
Fav Pic: Greel, or Keeper of The dead (for the Goth factor :))\
Fav Set for Art: Prophecy

Ed Sullivan

CPA Founder, Web Guy
Staff member
Me thinks there's already another thread on this, but alas...

Fav artist: Tony DeTerlizzi (sp?). His magic stuff is really nice, but I love his Planescape sketch art and Monsterous Manual drawings.
Fav card: Not sure, but the first time I saw The Fallen, I got freaked out (actually, there's a funny story in that, but I won't go into it now)
Fav set: Not sure either.

Now, moving to voting forum...

H

Hawaiian mage

Favorit Artist: Mark Tedin. I just likethe style he has.

Favorit Card: Isn't this just one of the most impossible questions to answer? I'm not sure. But I do have a strange attractin to art with big things on it. Like Phyrexian Dreadnoght or Shivan Dragon.

Favorit Expansion Art: Unglued. Defenetally the best art on any magic card.

A

arhar

RKF all the way!
Melissa Benson
Anson Maddocks

Favorite cards:

Jade Monolith - 6th (RKF), Fallen Angel (Maddocks), Nightmare (Benson)

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Yeah, there's definately another thread about this somewhere, probably in this forum but...

Favorite artist(s): The Foglios.

D

Duel

Favorite Card: STASIS! Yep, the kangaroo, seesaw, and KKK will get me every time...

Favorite artists: Anson maddocks. Failing that, I knew the foglios from the MYTH series of books, so them.

Favorite set: Toughie. Chronicles, probably. The Elder Dragon Ledgends were fantastic!

A

Apollo

My favorite artist is Rebecca Guay because I met her at a prerelease and she was very nice and autographed all of our cards. She flew down just to do the event and wasn't even getting paid. As for the actual art, I don't know who my favorite is.

Favorite pieces: Giant Turtle (legends) and Nightmare.

F

Francois Vincent

Easily Fave Card: Vesuvan Doppelganger (great name, great art, great ability) The card art is so fluid and conveys the idea beautifully. I was thrilled to see rk post do hommage to it in Morphling.

Fave artist: If you couldn't tell by now, Quinton Hoover rocks my world. His line drawings/watercolours are delicate but can instantly set the tone, the intensity with a balance of colours and thick black lines. From Canyon Drake to Feedback, sweeeeet.

Fave set art: The Dark. Uncle Istvan, The Fallen, Ragman, The Drowned, on and on. Easily the most continuous, the most unified theme and feel of all the expansions to date. Mirage is a close second in those departments but The Dark is sooo very creepy.

R

rkoelsch

I love the Foglio's work. I have often thought of doing an all Foglio deck.

Unfortunately my favorite card art is going to have to be Copper Leaf Angel. I have it on my desktop now. Never get tired of looking at it.

But I really enjoy the humor of the Foglio's work.

G

godhand3

My favorite artists are Mark Poole and Melissa Benson. I like the older artists.

My favorite card is balance because the picture goes with the name of the card.

And my favorite card set is prophecy although I do not know how many of the pictures are actually drawn and how many are made on a computer.

G

garfobo

Fav artist:Ron Spencer

Fav Card Art: Infernal Spawn of Evil

Fav Art Set: Unglued

A

arhar

I think I forgot to mention Phil Foglio, or Claymore J. Flapdoodle as he calls himself on Unglued cards :). He is THE MAN.

Also, I just saw this card for the first time, and it easily became my all-time favorite Magic card:

Adarkar Unicorn
Ice Age

by Quinton Hoover

G

Gizmo

I like Quinton Hoover too - I had a full set of everything he did (Magic, Middle Earth, L5R...) but then he did too much, too fast, and I broke it up - I even had a 'Proposal' tracked down on the net, but the guy wanted $2500.
:(
I like all the stuff with distinctive styles - Hoover, RKF, rk post, Kirschner, Ditterlizzi, Guay...

Fave Pictures, top five are:
Elder Land Wurm (Hoover)
Serra Angel (Guay, the one they commissioned for 5th Ed before they pulled Serra from the set)
Copper Leaf Angel (Moeller)
Natural Order (T.Nielsen, I love Jaguars...)

Hey, rkoelsch - can you mail me the Copper Leaf desktop?

But all the best art is in Rage anyway.
:p

D

Densmore

jeff miracola and brom both havepretty good artwork,
my favorite card art are off rathi dragon,lightning dragon,emperor croc,and fade away.
best set=tempest

A

Almindhra

Just wanted to say that I met both DiTerlizzi and Matt Wilson...They were both really nice...DiTer is a really cool guy...One guy asked him to draw Brainstorm on his magic play mat, and he did...FOR FREE!!!...And this guy who was working his booth at Origins said that he does that all the time, how awesome...

Go to his wesbite, I haven't checked it out, but I will because hes so nice...

http://www.diterlizzi.com

F

Fire Slinger

I like all of the artists. My favorites are rk post, Ron Spencer, Rebecca Guay, Brom (he did Greel), and Terese Nielson.

Fav art: Covetous Dragon ( I even went to rk post's website and bought of the prints. $15 for a 8 1/2 x 11 print. The original had already been sold for like $700.

Fav set for art: I like Prophecy alot, but my favs are Urza's Saga, Legacy and Destiny.

S

smurfturd

My all time Fav. card art is The Wretched its the best pic ive ever seen on a magic card.

My Fav. artist is Kev Walker {Rancor}

My Fav. set of art would be from Saga

C

Chaos Turtle

[*]Favorite all-time card art:
Hymn to Tourach ("Wolf" Susan Van Camp)

[*]Favorite Artist:
Tony DiTerlizzi

I met this gentleman at Stronghold prerelease. Easily one of the nicest artists (and persons) I've ever met. I've loved his work since seeing Kobold in the Monstrous Manual for AD&D 2nd ed.
He drew custom art with "congrats on the baby!" on a card back for my best friend (whose girlfriend was expecting).

Almindhra... I also got to meet Matt Wilson (Urza's Saga PR). Nice guy; I gave him 4 Avenging Angel (a fave card in a weird deck of mine back then) and after some prompting, he wrote "I'm a bitch!; I'm a lover!; I'm a child!; I'm a mother!" on them. I so wish I'd had a few more of those (for the rest of the song, of course). ;)

Favorite set(s) for art:
Mirage/Visions

These were so consistent in flavor from card to card, and conveyed the feel of the setting perfectly. Prophecy is a close 2nd.