Converting Cassettes (Tapes) to Digital (MP3)

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Anyone have experience or know of a "good brand" to accomplish this? I have a pretty big tape collection that I'd like to get on my iPod. I get the Brookstone catalog and saw their model for $150 so started looking on the Net and then got overwhelmed by all of the choices.

T

train

I don't have one and don't have the tapes anymore... but I'd say go with a brand you're comfortable with from previous experience... If none - then hopefully someone else here will know of one...

BUT...

From the web - without the 150.00...

In order to record your audio tapes into MP3 format you first need a couple of things:

A computer with a sound card
WAV File Recording Application (sometimes called Ripping program)
Application to change the format of a WAV file into an MP3 file (called "encoder")
A cable with 1/8" mini plug on each end
Now that you have all the components required to successfully convert your audio tapes to MP3 format, follow these quick steps:

Connect the mini plug to your earphone output of your receiver that is hooked up to the audio tape player or you can use the earphone jack that is integrated into your audio tape player.
Connect the other side of the cable into the Line In of your Sound Card (this input is usually green).
Start your Ripping software on your computer for Line In recording. At the same time, press play to start your audio tape. Your audio tape should be recording onto your computer in real time. It is important to note that you first must save your audio recording in the WAV format, and then change it later into MP3 format.
Once you have a full recording of the audio from the audio tape saved onto your computer and in WAV format, encode it using your MP3 encoder program. Most ripping programs also include an encoding program. Now your old audio tape music is saved as a digital file which can be played on any computer or stored on a CD or IPod type device.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
I don't have a brand I'm attached to for this, everything is fair game.

See, the Brookstone item takes care of most of that (I think). (From memory) You put your tape in the tape deck and connect the USB cord from the unit to your computer and voila, the music is transferred and put into MP3 format (I think) on your computer.

So I guess I can get all of that stuff above and it may cost less overall, but is that worth it? Versus something that's pretty much plug-n-play? I'd rather go for the latter but then my question still remains, is there some "leader" in the business for this kind of thing? Did Consumer Reports ever do something like this? :)

T

train

I actually had checked consumer reports when looking for you... They didn't have anything on these... sheesh... you would think they would want to stay on top of the latest technologies... haha...

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Booo... thanks anyways. Maybe just not a lot of people do it to justify them investigating different brands :)