Conspiracy Card Gallery

W

WickedBoy6

There's also numerous spoilers in this video, featuring Marshall Sutcliffe from Limited Resources, Nathan Holt from Walking the Planes, Chris Kluwe - former NFL player, Kenji Egashira aka NumottheNummy on Twitch, Toby Elliot - Level 5 Judge, Brian-David Marshall - Pro Tour Historian, David Willians - Pro Poker and Magic player, and Kathleen De Vere from LoadingReadyRun.

http://www.youtube.com/embed/U09xnozP3gQ

Out of the cards shown anywhere, I really like Selvala's Charge. In a 4-player game, a possible 4 3/3 Elephants for 4G looks strong. I also like Deal Broker. I mean, a 2/3 Looter for 3 is still strong, but the trading at the end of the draft is amzing. Feels a lot like high school days when you would trade just after cracking packs.

In the video, they had one called Lore Seeker. Artifact Creature: Construct, a 2/2 for 2, so Bear. BUT, you get to ADD a Booster Pack to the draft. It sounds like amazing disruption. You can go get another Conspiracy for more disruption, something from Urza's Bloock or Modern Masters for power, or go get one of the Un's for super-silliness.

However, in the circle I run with, Marchesa, the Black Rose is the one we're all looking forward to. She is a supreme choice for a nice Grixis Undying Commander deck. There's also a LOT of other cards that work with her, like anything with Undying, Graft, Monstrous, Evolve, and numerous, numerous cards like Anthroplasm, Deathbringer Thoctar. Festercreep, Floodchaser, Mindwarper, Novijen Sages, Simic Manipulator, Spike Cannibal, Spitting Hydra, Stingmoggie, etc. But, we all pretty much said three specific cards will make this deck absolutely nuts:

Mikaeus, the Unhallowed, Necropotence, and Goblin Bombardment.

T

Terentius

Is this a standalone set or part of a block or other group?

W

WickedBoy6

That Drakestown Forgotten looks AWESOME in a MArchesa Commander deck. I may end up getting a Conspiracy box after all, just for some of the more awesome cards and not necessarily for drafting.

W

WickedBoy6

He seems to do alright as a player. I just hope he doesn't punt all that often.

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
Am I the only one becoming cynical about the hype for this Conspiracy thing? I keep seeing other people expressing interest and it looks to me like a simple scheme to milk casual multiplayer enthusiasts for money by trying to bring limited formats (which are excellent for card sales) into an untapped market. Not that I object to drafts, nor to multiplayer drafts, nor to Wizards of the Coast making money. But it just seems contrived. Like, I don't actually think that WotC has some office room with a couple of people gathered around a table scribbling notes and asking each other, "How can we squeeze even more delicious cash out of these rubes?" I really don't. But if that were the case, this seems like sort of product that they'd come up with.

turgy22

Nothing Special
It's definitely contrived, but my viewpoint is a little different. Instead of them thinking of ways to take money from players, I just think it's another case of them thinking they're doing the casual players a favor by making sets that supposedly cater to odd formats.

One of the things I love about Magic is that most of the cards don't try to force you to play a certain way. They're very open-ended. So casual players, like us, see all these possibilities and come up with these new formats to try to push the boundaries of how the cards can be used. Instead of the designers just sitting back and saying, "hey, that's neat, let's continue doing our jobs of making cards that can be used lots of different ways and allow the players to keep doing their things by thinking of new ways to use them", they try to specifically design cards around those formats, thereby limiting a lot of the potential and making those original ideas seem too structured, IMO. They did it with EDH Commander and tribal (and many more, I'm sure) and now they're doing it with draft. (I should mention that this practice is not in any way limited to WotC. It's similar to when Kelloggs started making their own pre-packaged Rice Krispie treats.)

The thing about Conspiracy, though, that seems even more contrived, though, is that it just seems like such a niche format to try and brand. Their recommended play format is an 8-person draft followed by two four-person free-for-all games. Who does this on a regular basis? (Aside from Shawn Main and, apparently, seven of his friends?) To my knowledge, there's no history of it on MTGO and I've never heard of it supported at any tournament. It's almost like they thought they needed a set to cater to casual players but couldn't decide whether to focus on draft or multi-player, so they just smashed the two ideas together and then tried to figure out how the two ideas made sense together after the fact.

At any rate, I have no right to complain, since I no longer actually buy any of their products, but, yeah, definitely contrived. I'm curious to see what obscure format gets bastardized next. Mindmaster, maybe.