Connecting the Wii to the Internet

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Okay, I'm finally thinking of connecting our Wii to the Internet and not sure exactly what I need. I did a Google search but most of the top answers came from general questions, not my specific setup.

I've got the Wii on the main floor and my computer in the basement. I have Comcast's Triple Play, meaning I have whatever internet connection that entails (the ad always says "high speed internet", so I think it's broadband). The connection goes straight into my computer; no router or wireless.

So reading the Wii manual, I *think* I need to get the "Nintendo Wireless Hub USB" thingie, so I just plug that into my USB port in my computer and my Wii can get the connection. Is this correct? My computer is always on, just in Sleep mode when people aren't using it. Can people still use the computer when the Wii is connected to the Internet? That part is a bit hazy, as the manual doesn't mention that and some of the question/answer threads from the Google search alluded to. If not, it sounds like I would then need to get a router and set up a wireless connection, correct?

R

rokapoke

My personal opinion here would be that the best bet is to just get the wireless router. I have a wireless network at home and it's easy to connect the Wii. It seems like this Nintendo Hub is just another way for them to squeeze a few more bucks out of your pockets.

Just my two cents.

D

DarthFerret

That should be right Spidey. However, there is a slight problem with what you are trying to do. If you plug the Nintendo Hub thingy into your computer, your computer would always have to be running to supply the internet to the Wii. I have a wireless network set up at home (and yes, it is encoded), and the Wii picks up the signal from that just fine. A good wireless rounter should only cost about $45.00 or so for G speed. Nintendo did not equip thier Wii's with the double speed wireless recievers (n) so a G (54mbps) should be all you need if it is only to run you Game System. If you are wanting to eventually run the internet through laptops and such, then I would go ahead and spend the extra money on an (N) speed router.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
DF said:
If you plug the Nintendo Hub thingy into your computer, your computer would always have to be running to supply the internet to the Wii
Well, like I said, my computer's always on, just in Sleep mode when we're not actively using it. We don't really have laptops nor do we expect to get a second computer, so I guess my main concern is whether with the USB thingie, can one person use the Internet on the computer while another uses it on the Wii. I'm guessing you can do it with the router.

I don't even know how much the USB thingie costs, I should go look that up :)

E

EricBess

I don't have any experience with the USB thing, but there shouldn't be a problem using the Internet on the computer at the same time someone is playing Wii. Worst-case scenario is that if someone is playing an Internet intensive game, you might see some slow-down on your computer in general, particularly if you are using the Internet at the same time. With a fast enough computer and Internet connection, you may not even notice. Most games probably limit how much data they are actually sending anyway.

The advantage of the router, however, is that you are using the processing power of the router for the connection, which it is hard-wired to do, so you wouldn't really see any speed degredation on your computer.

To be honest, the one thing that I'm more interested in is whether or not the USB thingie would even work while your computer was in sleep mode. My guess is that it wouldn't and that your computer would need to be fully functioning for the Wii to connect to the Internet.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
the one thing that I'm more interested in is whether or not the USB thingie would even work while your computer was in sleep mode.
Yeah, that's true. That'd tell me which direction to go, for sure.

B

BigBlue

I don't know much about a Wii...

But I know a thing or two about Networking... :)

When you say you are plugged directly to the internet - and not through a router - I'm thinking you actually do have one. Locally here it's Bresnan and not Comcast, but they still provide a router that plugs directly to the PC. Often they have only one port - but sometimes they'll have 2 - either way, unless you asked for Wireless - you don't have Wireless yet.

So, you'll need a wireless router to start with. As DF said, they are reasonable and fairly easy to install. You will want to turn on as much security as it provides (and that the Wii can support). Once you create this wireless network - you are essentially opening up your network to outside interference beyond that of just being online...

The Wii won't likely impact your PC use - except when both are online and perhaps doing "big" downloading, like watching a movie w/ Netflix or whatever + playing a game which wants a lot of bandwidth... most of the time you won't even notice a difference from what you have today.

In the end your network will look something like this:

Comcast device ------ Wireless Router ------ PC

The Wii will connect wirelessly.

For Security - at the very least, you'll want to turn encryption on at the router - this will mean you'll enter an encryption key on your Wii which matches the one on your router. You'll also want to make sure you have the Firewall turned on for your PC - this will prevent anything your Wii might get from spreading to your PC - as well as protect your PC if someone breaks into your Wireless LAN. If the Wii can run a firewall, turn it on... this prevents outside interference to it - but it probably doesn't support anything like that.

Also - be aware you may have problems with some things running correctly... I don't do any online gaming, but I know from buddies that a lot of times the routers provided by the cable companies have firewalls which don't allow incoming game connections and sometimes you can't add exceptions to them to make it work... Maybe Nintendo doesn't require those sort of incoming connections... but if you are "hosting" a game, you usually need to allow incoming connections.

Good Luck, and Have fun!

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Well, I think there is some sort of "box" on top of my PC that may be the router; truth be told, I don't know what it is. However, I've had trouble hooking my work laptop into the Internet at home so maybe that's why - I didn't know what it was, so I was just plugging the internet cables from the box thingie to my laptop and not getting a connection. Which would mean that I would be using a laptop occasionally (and save me from having to come into work after hours to figure out problems - I've just stopped using the laptop for now)

That also helps explain the diagrams that come with the Wii manual - it was showing your type of description above but I didn't get it.

I don't forsee us watching a movie on the Wii or playing games online - really, it's just to get the system updates for now. Of course, you never know in the future... but I don't have time to get on the Net and play around at home, so I don't think that's gonna change with the Wii :)

My PC's got the Windows firewall and I think Mc-whatever (Gaffe? Affe?) (though only one of them is turned on) so that's okay.

D

DarthFerret

Windows Firewall is a good thing, however it has never been enough to slow down an in comming Virus. McCaffee is pretty good, however, I had aquired a trojan horse at one time that hade Norton, McAffe and AVG completely confused. I used Kasperski Internet Security, and amazingly, it got the job done. Now it is the only one that I will use.

As for your router, chances are it is not wireless. However, your internet service provider may supply you with a wireless router for free. I know the one I have does. The biggest problems with most ISP's is that they acquire a ton of "refurbished" routers, so you may end up with a string of bad ones before they give you a good one. I always make them test it there before I even bother bringing it to the house (can ya tell I have had some bad experiences here?). I agree with BB that you should definately make it a closed connection with a WEP encryption. The Wii can be connected provided you enter in the encryption key. Most of the routers you get will have step by step instructions as to how to do this. It is really pretty easy. If nothing else, if you get a router, post the brand and model name here and we can help ya navigate through it.

B

BigBlue

If you are only hooking it up to get updates...

I know w/ the XBOX 360 - you can get them on your PC, burn them to a CD and then load it on the machine... This might be a better/cheaper solution if you can do it...

If you aren't really going to use wireless often - it's not worth the expense/trouble. It could allow you to use that work laptop though... I am going to go out on a limb as say you don't seem to have a whole lot of Network Saavy - which is fine, most people don't.

Your work laptop may be assigned a static IP address - so when you try to plug it in at home it won't work because it's not the same as what your router is expecting... You might check w/ your IT folks to see if they can help you get it configured to work from home.

DF - Any PC based firewall is weak compared to a HW firewall... And it's only good for preventing Worm attacks, not trojans, viruses, or other types of Mal-ware which go right past a firewall. That's where your AV/Spyware stuff comes in. Some firewalls include filtering for viruses - but they aren't the consumer ones typically. (We use a Cisco ASA which examines packets as they come in).

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Yeah, I don't know if you can burn d/l Wii updates to a PC, burn them, and then run them on the Wii... I thought it was just automatic for the Wii and could only go to that box (anyone have a Wii and know? Am I the only one here?)

I have ZERO network savvy; never really needed it until now, I guess. I was just fine with one computer hooked up to the Internet where I let the Comcast guys do the installation. The Wii is the first console we've owned.

I'll check with our IT guys; I need to get it unlocked anyways since I forgot my password, it's been so long since I've used it. And getting Windows updates is faster with them doing it than me (especially now, with something like a year's worth to put on).

Before we got the Comcast high speed internet, we were just on dial-up, so it was an easy task to unplug the modem cable from the PC and hook it to the laptop. *That* I could do, going all the way back to 1200 baud modems :) Once we got Comcast and it didn't work, I just forgot about it and went in to work to fix problems (only live like 10 minutes away).

I use Spybot and Lava Ad-Aware - they've been pretty good getting rid of stuff that for some reason we get.