Community Duel Decks / Theme Decks

B

boogiepop

Hey guys, as you may recall, these past few months I've been slowly building a set of decks for play against each other. I've been trying to make them as balanced with each other as possible and have been enjoying the experience and challenges it presents.

Well, the idea has got me thinking that it might be fun to try doing something similar as a community.We could do just a pair of duel decks, a set of balanced decks, or maybe some dedicated multiplayer ones.

What do you think? Any takers?

If there are, I've got some initial suggestions to throw out there (but will, of course, bow to majority opinion.)

1. Like the official theme decks, have a few singletons to change things up.
2. Make theme a priority.
3. Avoid cards that are auto-includes in just about any deck of that color. Variety is the spice of life, after all.
4. Keep the cost of the deck low. What can I say, I'm a cheap son-of-a-gun! ><

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Sounds good, but I'm not that familiar with newer cards (like from the past 5 years) to really make a contribution, probably...

B

boogiepop

Awesome! Thanks! :)

I jumped the gun a little with my suggestions above. I guess we should ask ourselves some initial questions first:

1. What are we making? Just duel decks to start and then see where it goes from there or something more?
2. What restrictions will we place on ourselves such as cost, rarity, expansion, etc..?
3. Will we try to work with cards of a certain power level and avoid those that are stricly better than another in our decks? For example, do we work with Lightning Bolt or Shock? Counterspell or Cancel? Both?

Mooseman

Isengar Tussle
Do you want to use the deck building restrictions in place already, like modern, standard, block and some variants of them?

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Well, I pretty much play online, so everything's open to me; i.e. I'm not going to build the decks for real so cost isn't an issue. So I can work within whatever confines people want to make for their own purposes.

B

boogiepop

Should I add a voting thing into this thread about what restrictions we have, and if so, what should be on it?
Vintage, Legacy, Modern, and Standard - those are the formats, right?

Also, what kind of decks might be fun to pit against one another? Maybe we could pick out some interesting cards for a theme could be built around.

B

boogiepop

Okay, this has sat for a few days so...
How about Standard decks with no other restrictions? That's mostly Innistrad cards, which I think Spidey is at least somewhat familiar with.

A mill deck with Selhoff Occultists and Infinite Reflection could be neat. Or a Curse deck perhaps?

Mooseman

Isengar Tussle
Start a Thread in the General CPA Stuff section, name it something about about building a deck arouns "X" and we will try to make a few decks and pilot them against each other.
Would these be casual duel decks? Or do you want to try to make competative decks?
Either way, I'll try to contribute and playtest.