Commons, Uncommons, Rares, Oh My!

G

Griffion2000

I need some helpful advice.
I have a new, lovely budget of $10 a month (roughly). So that is about 3 booster packs a months. I plan to collect the entire invasion common set, which will take me about 16 months. :(
Thats 40 rares and 120 uncommons; or 10 rares and 30 uncommons if I try to get 4 of each.
Should I forgo rares to just get commons and uncommons quiker? I want to collect the next main set after invasion. I need to cut the time to get the cards by 5 months! Maby I should just get only commons and trade for more commons. I like consistancy so I want 4 of each common.
Can you please halp me manage this?
Should I go without rares or rares and uncommons?
I could really use your input, because I've been thinking of this for hours, and my head hurts. :)

N

nodnarb24

If you want 4 of each common then go to ebay. You can probably get 4 common sets of a paticular set for around $5. That's how I get my commons. You can also probably get one uncommon set for about the same price. Of course there is shipping which will jack up the price $3-$5. A piece of advice thou, when a set comes out buy the commons sets asap or the price will go up.

Here is a link to an auction for 4x invasion common sets:
http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=510335323

G

Griffion2000

Hmmmm, No.
I've been ripped off too many times now. And if I lose 5 bucks, thats half my money for a month!
I'll just stick to booster packs, thanks for the advice tho. :p

I

Istanbul

If it helps at all, *I'll* sell you an entire set of 4 of each common for $5. And you know where to find me.

C

Cateran Emperor

I can back Isty's claim, he's assuredly trustworthy.

M

Multani

I must also back Isty. I've traded with him 3 times. Besides, he lives in my general area so if it's security you're looking for....

N

NeuroDeus

Try and trade...

up at MOTL or at the CPA...I got nobody to back me up here...maybe the fact that I am quite active in CPA... if you want Uncommons/Commons of Invasion message back for a list and we might trade...

N

nodnarb24

I wouldn't trade on MOTL. I've gotten screwed 3 out of the 5 times I traded. Also the people there are p!$$y.

[Edited by nodnarb24 on 11-28-00 at 07:09 PM]

G

Griffion2000

Well I gotten a new buget (and a new job), so I can by lots of boosters now! :D

Anyway, I'm trying to finish collecting the Merc. cycle..... ;)

K

krichaiushii

Hone your trading skills.

You'd be amazed at what people will give you for a "good" rare, or a foil anything.

If sets are your priority, consider trading your doubled/tripled rares and uncommons to people for large quantities of commons.

Or you can always ask around for the benevolent guy who has far too many cards, and just keeps a few cards from the packs he gets and gives the rest away.

Lastly, either participate in or hang out around booster drafts. When they are done, people generally have numerous cards they can care less about, and may be willing to give away for a song or nothing at all. If you play, I recommend drafting to win (as boosters are the regular prize), but if it comes to it, you can always draft cards for your set...

That's all.

D

Duel

Last trade I made:
Foil llanowar elf for

2 saporling bursts & 1 Rising waters.

Now, I traded off the elf, and got the minor advantage moneywise, and a HUGE advantage, playwise. that's how you do it.

D

Duel

Basically, 2 types trade magic cards: Collectors and players. If you're a player, you can get duplicates of playable cards off collectors for hard-to-find unusable ones...

I

Istanbul

Me, for example. I'm a player AND a collector, but I know I'd trade a decent low-value ($3) rare for an Unlimited Chaoslace. And I don't care if it DOES suck, I'd trade fairly nicely for a Beta Manabarbs.

Also, there are always people like me who are looking to diversify their card base, and will trade fairly nicely. For example, my cup runneth over in terms of Mercadian cycle rares and suchlike, but blocks before that are looking pretty slim for me. (That's a hint, Griffion. :) )

N

nodnarb24

A friend of mine once traded a 4th edition bog imp, of which he had plenty, to a collector to complete the set for a jester's cap and mask. I guess that was his lucky day.

D

Duel

[me] holds up his 4th edition crap cards[/me]
Anyone want some?