Comedic Horror Movies

T

theorgg

Anyone else here love this genre?

Evil Dead 2 is of course the classic that sets the standard, but there's been a few that were quite good that I've seen. Black Sheep and Slither pop to mind quickly, but some others were watchable if you were expecting a comedic horror (such as Snakes on a Plane).

I'm wanting to see Teeth, but I havn't spotted a copy of it yet.

turgy22

Nothing Special
Yes, I do. If you're looking for some great horror comedy classics, I highly recommend Dead Alive (the Peter Jackson film... also goes by Brain Dead) and Return of the Living Dead.

I haven't seen any newer horror/comedies, but some of the new, crappy horror movies really push the limit on unintentional comedy. The latest one I saw that fits that bill was probably Uwe Boll's House of the Dead, which was just an absolutely horrible, horrible film, but had me laughing through most of it.

T

theorgg

I agree on Peter Jackson's earlier stuff. (I havn't seen a bad movie by Peter Jackson yet, though King Kong was not as stunning as the others I've seen. still havn't seen that alien movie, though).

Meet the Feebles (while not a horror) was very much worth the watching!

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
theorgg;288045 said:
Anyone else here love this genre?

Evil Dead 2 is of course the classic that sets the standard, but there's been a few that were quite good that I've seen.
That's quite a high standard you've got there. Evil Dead 2 is awesome. Speaking of horror/comedy and Sam Raimi movies, I was pleasantly surprised to see that the recent Drag Me to Hell is reminiscent of the Evil Dead series. While it doesn't pack as much intensely bizarre hilarity as Evil Dead 2, it's pretty good and Alison Lohman's performance is excellent.

I'm wanting to see Teeth, but I havn't spotted a copy of it yet.
When my friend showed me that movie, I had no idea what kind of movie it would be, although it quickly became apparent. While I can't say that I was particularly impressed by it, I'm glad I watched it because, as far as I know, there are no other movies quite like it. That alone is reason enough to watch it if you're into comedic horror or whatever these movies are called.

turgy22;288046 said:
Yes, I do. If you're looking for some great horror comedy classics, I highly recommend Dead Alive (the Peter Jackson film... also goes by Brain Dead) and Return of the Living Dead.
Every time I see Dead Alive mentioned, the people who saw it liked it. Everyone I watched it with liked it. This seems to be a movie no one dislikes (the people who wouldn't like it know much better than to watch it). So I feel oddly alone on this, but I blame it on Peter Jackson. I must have seen about half a dozen of his movies and I just don't like them. Other people do, though. Must be something about his directorial style that puts me off, although I can't imagine what.

I haven't seen any newer horror/comedies, but some of the new, crappy horror movies really push the limit on unintentional comedy.
Sure, but it's not just the new movies. *cough*Plan 9*cough*

But for a great example of unintentionally funny, there's Bloodthirst: a movie I saw in, I think, 2004 and was made in 2002 or 2003. For most of it, I was under the impression that it was some really bad, really low budget movie from the 1980's. I forget when I realized that it must be more recent. We watched it on Halloween and everyone was cracking up the whole time, mostly at each other's comments. It was like a big, interactive MST3K. So maybe it was a bit more fun because of the experience when I watched it, but one thing I definitely remember was that the movie was a very, very bad horror movie and that I laughed a lot.

rokapoke;288047 said:
Shaun of the Dead, anyone?
When I first watched this movie, I was apparently not laughing at all. The other people in the room thought I must not find it funny and that there must be something wrong with me. I was enjoying it, though. I just wasn't physically laughing or smiling or making any movements at all. I just sat there. It changed before the movie was over. I think it was right when they started playing Queen's "Don't Stop Me Now" that I burst out laughing.

Anyway, I can't think of any of my very favorite movies that fall into this category, although there are definitely some cool ones that I like. But then again, I've been told on multiple occasions (and recently) that some movie I thought didn't count as horror at all was unambiguously in the genre. So I have no idea what I'm talking about.

Let's see, Zombieland was pretty fun. Oh, and Grindhouse or the Planet Terror part anyway seems like a good example of horror/comedy. Does Cabin Fever count? It's certainly different from most of the movies mentioned in this thread. Is Tremors comedic or is it unintentionally funny?

Oh, does Ghostbusters count?

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
What exactly is a comedic horror movie? One that intentionally bills itself as a horror movie but you end up laughing at it, or one that intentionally wants you to laugh at it (like a spoof, which I thought Shaun of the Dead was billed as)? Or both?

I mean, I like all of the "Dead" movies, but some are funny and some not (overall). Diary of the Dead, Gangs of the Dead, some "Island of the Dead" (not the one with McDowell that has been showing lately, but a supposed game show where contestants are dropped on an abandoned island previously used by the military), a fairly recent "Day of the Dead" with Nick Cannon and Mena Suvari...

I haven't seen Slither all the way, just bits and pieces, but it does say "comedic" in the info description.

And I saw Snakes on a Plane, which *was* pretty funny; I don't think it was supposed to be a true horror film anyway.

And does the Scary Movie series fall under this?

T

theorgg

Well, comedic horror is a movie that combines both horror and comedy, but plays the situation straight. The spoof movies I wouldn't consider comedic horror (but Sean of the Dead I would, as it plays the whole situation as realistic).

One liners are a hallmark of the genre. Snakes is the quintessential comedic horror with the caveat that always befalls this type of movie-- the trailers and everything don't portray it as funny.

Honestly, the only movie I recall that really billed itself correctly was Drag Me To Hell. It played up the horror stuff, then, all of a sudden, the girl sniffed a fly up her nose-- cue big screen "DRAG ME TO HELL" logo. Another one had horror-type stuff happening, then right before the logo, a puzzled old woman's face. If you're not cued into the comedic horror genre, you might miss it (I've only talked to one person who disliked the movie, and that's because he didn't like the comedic aspects).

I liked Drag me to Hell, but I thought it was toned down a little. The scene at the bank should've sprayed the freaking walls and coated everybody, not the pansy, chicken thing it did. Then again... Here, kitty, kitty...

Another comedic horror movie I LOVED, and that the direct-to-dvd sequels ruined the franchise of, is FEAST. The first Feast movie was AWESOME. One of the best movies to star Jason Mews EVER. And ya'll know how much I like the Jay and Silent Bob films. I HIGHLY recommend the FIRST Feast movie. AVOID the second and third ones, though, as they are absolutly 109% AWFUL. The first one, though, is awesome.

Spidy, the next movie you're renting is Drag Me To Hell.

T

train

I think you missed the "the next movie you're renting' there o' webbed-one... haha...

Can't say I've heard of Feast before - but will see if it looks worth renting or downloading, etc...

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
I didn't miss it, that was my way of saying that I haven't rented in a long time, so the only way I'll see it is if it shows up on one of the cable channels :)

R

rokapoke

Spiderman;288115 said:
I didn't miss it, that was my way of saying that I haven't rented in a long time, so the only way I'll see it is if it shows up on one of the cable channels :)
Netflix is a wonderful tool. And you can watch this instant classic online if you have a Netflix account!

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
But why pay when you can get it for free? :)

Heh. That's been showing on the sci-fy channel lately... :)

R

rokapoke

Spiderman;288118 said:
Heh. That's been showing on the sci-fy channel lately... :)
You need to watch it. It's disturbingly comical.

T

train

@spidey...
Haven't rented in a while... So how do you stay in touch with all those strangers at the VHS/DVD chain store or local pantry that are trying to beat you to the last available DVD hidden behind an empty case because the store personnel have many turned in at the front counter, but haven't restocked the shelves...

Oh - yeah - I guess renting is a little barbaric nowadays...

:p

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Heh, I remember the days of checking the front desk for new releases that got turned in but not restocked yet... :) Cable is so much more convenient :)