Colored Spells are for Nerds [Canadian Highlander]

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/colored-spells-are-for-nerds/

I've been working on Canadian Highlander and other than my crude attempt at a monoblack control deck, which I disassembled after one day, I'll probably post my decks here. Right now I've got two exact netdecks (Goblins and Jeskai Twin) and one deck that I threw together myself.

I wanted to build a "monobrown" deck, but I didn't find any lists online that looked good, so I didn't get much inspiration from them. I just sifted through my collection and grabbed stuff that looked like it fit. So at this stage, it's unrefined. But I'll keep it around for a while and make some modifications in one direction or another. Right now, it's kind of a "goodstuff" deck, a hodgepodge of cards. But I played it a little and it did seem to hold its own.

I didn't have a name for the deck when I threw it together, but then when I was playing it and my opponent saw Ugin's Construct he said, "Oh, and you don't have any colored permanents" or something like that. I responded, "Colored spells are for nerds!" I am perfectly aware that Phyrexian Metamorph is a blue card, but it's a really powerful card and I don't want to take it out just for the sake of a joke.

1x All Is Dust
1x Ancient Den
1x Ancient Tomb
1x Arcbound Ravager
1x Basalt Monolith
1x Batterskull
1x Blasted Landscape
1x Blightsteel Colossus
1x Cathodion
1x Chief of the Foundry
1x City of Traitors
1x Cranial Plating
1x Crucible of Worlds
1x Crystal Vein
1x Darksteel Citadel
1x Darksteel Colossus
1x Deserted Temple
1x Duplicant
1x Ensnaring Bridge
1x Foundry Inspector
1x Foundry of the Consuls
1x Frogmite
1x Ghost Quarter
1x Great Furnace
1x Grim Monolith
1x Inkmoth Nexus
1x Inventors' Fair
1x Juggernaut
1x Karakas
1x Karn Liberated
1x Kuldotha Forgemaster
1x Library of Alexandria
1x Lodestone Golem
1x Mana Vault
1x Maze of Ith
1x Memnite
1x Memory Jar
1x Metalwork Colossus
1x Metalworker
1x Mikokoro, Center of the Sea
1x Mindslaver
1x Mishra's Factory
1x Mishra's Helix
1x Mishra's Workshop
1x Mountain
1x Mox Opal
1x Mutavault
1x Myr Enforcer
1x Myr Retriever
1x Nevinyrral's Disk
1x Null Brooch
1x Oblivion Stone
1x Ornithopter
1x Phyrexian Metamorph
1x Powder Keg
1x Ratchet Bomb
1x Rishadan Port
1x Sanctum of Ugin
1x Scorched Ruins
1x Scrap Trawler
1x Scroll Rack
1x Sculpting Steel
1x Seat of the Synod
1x Skullclamp
1x Skysovereign, Consul Flagship
1x Smuggler's Copter
1x Sol Ring
1x Sphere of Resistance
1x Staff of Domination
1x Stalking Stones
1x Steel Overseer
1x Strip Mine
1x Su-Chi
1x Sundering Titan
1x Tangle Wire
1x Thespian's Stage
1x Thorn of Amethyst
1x Thran Dynamo
1x Tolarian Academy
1x Tree of Tales
1x Trinisphere
1x Triskelion
1x Ugin's Construct
1x Umezawa's Jitte
1x Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth
1x Vault of Whispers
1x Vesuva
1x Voltaic Key
1x Walking Ballista
1x Wasteland
5x Wastes
1x Winter Orb
1x Workshop Assistant
1x Worn Powerstone
1x Wurmcoil Engine
1x Zoetic Cavern

T

Terentius

Love the name, love the story. Tappedout link? I thought you haven't been playing against actual opponents for a while?

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
Oops, TappedOut link added.

While I've had a been of a drought of consistently getting to sit down against real-life players, that changed earlier this year. There's an old LGS fairly close to where I live (place has been around since the 1980's I think and branched out from sports cards to comic books and TCG stuff). But the town it's in is kinda in the opposite direction of most of the travel I'd do for anything work-related, errands, etc. So I didn't usually make it over there. It's on the same street as where I used to buy work boots when I was in my previous job, so I'd sometimes pop in and check out their stock once or twice a year. Well, earlier this year I was near there to get my prescription updated for my eyeglasses. The Lenscrafters people told me they could actually get my lenses and frames set up that same day, but that it'd be about an hour before I could pick them up. So I drove over to the game store to see if they had anything interesting, and it just so happened that one of the guys I played Magic with in high school and college, but hadn't seen in years, had recently taken a job at the store as their general manager. He's been trying to proselytize local players to get more of a local Canlander community going and I was a pretty easy sell. It's a fun format and I was already tinkering with some deck concepts on rare occasions at home.

I'm enjoying it way more than EDH, and I plan to stick around.

That being said, it's not my ideal, as I believe that 60 cards is the right and proper size of a Magic deck. :p

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
Some minor changes after cracking a bunch of Dominaria packs. Firstly, Skullclamp was unreliable in this deck. If I did happen to get a good card that made tokens, the card-drawing was huge, but it didn't usually work out that way. And I guess I never mentioned, but the Mountain was a bit of a joke: I own a single Arabian Nights Mountain and wanted to put it in a deck as a gimmick. I actually drew my Mountain against a deck with Goblin King, which was hilarious. But yeah, swapping those out for some new cards...

-1 Skullclamp
-1 Mountain
+1 Traxos, Scourge of Kroog
+1 Zhalfirin Void