Coldsnap.dec

D

DarthFerret

Ok, I played in a draft at FNM and now have enough coldsnap to try and make a standalone deck. Let me know what you think. I have 2 Ravnica cards and a Dissension in it and will be replacing those with something else. Any Ideas?

Coldsnap Deck vs. 1.0

Critters: 21

2 Rimewind Taskmage
1 Rimefeather Owl (all I own)
4 Ardakar Windform
3 Chilling Shade
4 Rimebound Dead
3 Boreal Druid
4 Allosaurus Rider

Spells: 20

3 Feast of Flesh
3 Surging Dementia (all I own)
1 Frozen Solid (I am looking for more)
1 Perplex (Ravnica)
1 Vexing Sphinx (all I own)
3 Krovikan Whispers
1 Controvert (all I own)
3 Sound the Call
4 Surging Might

Land: 20

1 Watery Grave (Ravnica)
1 Breeding Pool (Dissension)
1 Frost Marsh
1 Scrying Sheets
6 Snow-Covered Swamps
5 Snow-Covered Islands
5 Snow-Covered Forests

I know the mana base is off, however I am stuck on what to trim off to be able to add acouple more lands (probably a snow Island and a snow forest).

I pretty much need to cut 3 cards, I think, and add back 2 lands. Any suggestions. The main goal is to make this deck almost entirely "snow type".

Tag Guard

L

Limited

Coldsnap Deck vs. 1.0 said:
Critters (22)
4x Adarkar Windform
4x Allosaurus Rider
3x Boreal Druid
3x Chilling Shade
4x Rimebound Dead
1x Rimefeather Owl (all I own)
2x Rimewind Taskmage
1x Vexing Sphinx (all I own)
Spells (19)
1x Controvert (all I own)
3x Feast of Flesh
1x Frozen Solid (I am looking for more)
3x Krovikan Whispers
1x Perplex (Ravnica)
3x Sound the Call
3x Surging Dementia (all I own)
4x Surging Might
Land (20)
1x Breeding Pool (Dissension)
1x Frost Marsh
1x Scrying Sheets
6x Snow-Covered Swamps
5x Snow-Covered Islands
5x Snow-Covered Forests
1x Watery Grave (Ravnica)
I'll go through original decklist (I moved the Vexing Sphinx to the creatures) and add some comments..

4x Adarkar Windform
This is a great creature, and it really fits the snow theme, but it still costs five mana. Besides, its ability (letting creatures lose flying for 1S) really shines in a deck with a lot more flyers.
I'd drop one.

4x Allosaurus Rider
Do you really need four of these? I understand they can become really big, but you won't be able to play the alternative casting cost a lot so we are looking at a seven cc creature. Also, this card begs to be given trample.
I'd drop two.

3x Boreal Druid
Hmm.. now we really need to decide what kinda deck this is. This kind of mana acceleration indicates a more agressive deck. Allosaurus would fit that deck if you'd play more green cards, but for now the Adarkar Mistform and the Allosaurus Rider seem to indicate a long-term plan.
In that case, I'd drop these entirely. Snow mana is nice, but colorless in a three-color deck just doesn't make the grade.

3x Chilling Shade
These seem to fit the controllish pretty well.

4x Rimebound Dead
Yes! More boardcontrol / damage prevention.

1x Rimefeather Owl
It's too bad you only own one, because it's a nice finisher. On the other hand, I'd probably only play two.

2x Rimewind Taskmage
More early game 'damage prevention' which can be used late game to push through the Rimefeather Owl or the Allosaurus Rider.

1x Vexing Sphinx
I think this card belongs more in a combo deck; its distracts opponents while your throw away cards you don't need. When it dies, you can hope to draw into your missing combo pieces and declare 'good game'.
Not really what this deck is about, so it's gone.

1x Controvert
Nice, but expect the recover to be hard. Having four blue mana (and two others) to counter something and be able to Recover this is an unlikely situation. Still, you never know.
If you really want to play countermagic, better select something else though.

3x Feast of Flesh
If you are playing this, why not play four? (you only have three?)

1x Frozen Solid
Nice removal, but do you still need it when playing black? Besides, the UU in the manacost might be a drag..
I'd kick it to the curve.

3x Krovikan Whispers
Once again a card that can keep you alive early game, and can potentially end the game for you.
I'd play four of these!

1x Perplex (Ravnica)
It transmutes for (amoungst others) Frozen Solid and Vexing Sphinx. You know what happened to them :)

3x Sound the Call
Once again, only three? This is definitely a four-or-none card. I think this card is better suited for agressive decks, but I'm not sure..

3x Surging Dementia
I don't know about this card. Seems to fit, I guess.

4x Surging Might
This clearly does not belong in this deck. It turns your two-drop (something like Borael Centaur) in a 4/4 (and perhaps even bigger) in hopes to disable your opponents before his/her deck takes of.

So, what would I do with this deck?
I'd turn it into a UGb deck that will have some early beats, but will mostly set the game up for a large creature to go all the way.

Coldsnap Deck vs. 1.1 said:
Creatures (20)
2x Adarkar Windform
2x Allosaurus Rider
3x Chilling Shade
4x Frostweb Spider
1x Rimefeather Owl (all I own)
4x Rimewind Taskmage
4x Zombie Musher
Spells (16)
4x Krovikan Whispers
4x Into the North
4x Rune Snag
4x Surging Aether
Land (24)
1x Frost Marsh
1x Scrying Sheets
5x Snow-Covered Swamps
6x Snow-Covered Islands
11x Snow-Covered Forests
4x Frostweb Spider
Great blocker that'll help you reach the late game. It's also another snow creature.

4x Zombie Musher
Instead of the Rimebound Dead, because black is no longer a main color. Besides, this one can has 2 power, so can kill more creatures while blocking and provides a path to victory when facing another Snow deck.

4x Into the North
A must for any snow deck with enough Green.

4x Rune Snag
Better countermagic the Controvert. Playing with Recover is hard enough even when playing with easily sacrificed creatures, but in this deck Controvert would probably always be a one-shot deal.
Rune Snag will slow your opponent down early game, but becomes a 'hard' counter eventually.

4x Surging Aether
You had both Surging Dementia and Surging Might in the deck, but I think the one you really want is this one. Sure, four mana is a lot, but it bounces any permanent which is really good. And, it combo's nicely with Krovikan Whispers.

I'm done.
Good luck with the deck. I hope my comments helped!