closed thread?

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Just out of curiosity, why was the thread "Spam on the boards" closed? There wasn't any usually red flags like cursing (that I could see).

D

Darsh

I think it's a good idea to close those threads that are mostly spam or will turn into spam "I'm bored...again" post for instance.

Just follow with me on this next part.

Question:Why do most people spam?
Answer:To raise their post count.

Question:How can we stop spam to raise someone's post count?
Answer:Take away their post count.

I'm not saying to take it away completely, I'm saying it should stop at 100 since that is veteran status and so we can tell when a member becomes a CPA member and a Veteran, after that there is no reason to show how many posts someone has, it justs encourages them to get more post to try to "out-race" everyone else.
Just consider it.

How ironic would it be if this post got closed for spamming?:)

V

Volradon

Oh no my presios post count :( hey i really doubt we should take it away, instead just punish the spamers. I mean, i dont think that many people spam just to increase post count, they just kinda fell bored and see a thread that sais "I am bored" and they respond to it with
SPAM SPAM SPAM

R

Ristik

I fail to see the problem with spam... Isn't there always the option of not reading it? Is there anything that forces someone to read spam? I didn't know popup threads could be done.

L

Landkiller

Yeah, you can take the post count away after 100, since at that point the Month Joined is more relevant anyway.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
taking away post count is not a bad idea, because only people worried about it will complain. It's really just an artificial way of "keeping score", kind of like keeping score in a game "played for fun".

G

Gerode

Sorry for the shameless spam in that thread I posted.
[me] hangs his head in shame. [/me]

What are the Off-Topic and Batller Arena for if spam is bad? Many of the discussions in there do not add to the Magic community.

If I spammed for post count, I would say one line in every thread and be around 800 posts by now. I never force myself to say anything for the sake of post count. On the other hand, if there is something that I want to say, even if it may be irrelevant, I will post it, as I sometimes tend to do.

I guess I should be reading Ura's article now that I have the time...

Killer Joe

What is one persons interpretation of "Spam" is another's person's poetry.

You may not even be able to read this message :(

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Not this again!

Gerode: Again, it depends on someone's definition of spam, and I think the majority agree that it's the "x post" threads and "I'm bored" threads. See other threads for specific discussion about what spam is.

G

Gerode

I've been following along that discussion. When I first read this thread, my interpretation of spam was a post that didn't add anything to the discussion. Now that I see the consensus of what spam is, I feel less guilty :)

This awareness of spam has been curtailing my posts on the boards lately :( So has the 9-hr Sunday homework marathon, which used up all of my quality internet time.

A

arhar

Any posts on the board use internet traffic. Internet traffic is not free. Who is paying for it? Our hosts - Magic Obsession. Since Spam serves no purpose whatsoever, spam just means throwing away the money of people who are generously providing us with the webspace.

Just something to think about.

G

Gerode

Is that a similar argument to the one made a few months ago, where someone suggested deleting all the inactive CPA members who have never posted?

Ed Sullivan

CPA Founder, Web Guy
Staff member
Kinda - except different. :)
I said that each individual member takes up LESS than 1kb of space. 1024+ members take up one megabyte. Not enough to make the opposite argument valid. And my guess is that the whole DB backend for the site, forums, polls, etc, is <25 megs.

Bandwidth on the other hand, it quite expensive.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Answer: Because the thread that my original post referred to is in this forum and I figured it was easier to refer to it here rather than a different forum. I never really expected people other than the closer (i.e. Ed, the most likely person at the time) to respond.