Closed Fist Discount [EDH]

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
Who needs blue to make a deck that steals other players' stuff? Not me. And not Jerrard. Forget five-finger discounts. The closed-fist discount is way more macho. The main gameplan here is to get Willow Satyr and steal a commander that is better than Jerrard. Failing that, I guess I turn stuff into artifacts for Aladdin to steal.

Commander
1 Jerrard of the Closed Fist

1 Abundance
1 Aladdin
1 Argothian Elder
1 Arid Mesa
1 Ashnod's Altar
1 Ashnod's Transmogrant
1 Beast Within
1 Bloodshot Cyclops
1 Bloodstained Mire
1 Boseiju, Who Endures
1 Caverns of Despair
1 Chef's Kiss
1 Conquer
1 Crop Rotation
1 Crucible of Worlds
1 Deserted Temple
1 Disharmony
1 Eldritch Evolution
1 Etali, Primal Storm
1 Eternal Witness
1 Expedition Map
1 Fauna Shaman
1 Firbolg Flutist
1 Force of Vigor
4 Forest
1 Gaea's Cradle
1 Genesis
1 Goblin Bombardment
1 Goblin Welder
1 Green Sun's Zenith
1 Harrow
1 Helm of Possession
1 Hivis of the Scale
1 Hoarding Dragon
1 Illicit Auction
1 Imperial Recruiter
1 Lightning Greaves
1 Liquimetal Coating
1 Liquimetal Torque
1 Mark of Mutiny
1 Maze of Ith
1 Misty Rainforest
4 Mountain
1 Mox Diamond
1 Mox Opal
1 Myr Landshaper
1 Natural Order
1 Opportunistic Dragon
1 Orcish Squatters
1 Reclamation Sage
1 Regrowth
1 Roiling Regrowth
1 Scalding Tarn
1 Scarwood Bandits
1 Seasons Past
1 Seedborn Muse
1 Seeker of Skybreak
5 Snow-Covered Forest
5 Snow-Covered Mountain
1 Sokenzan, Crucible of Defiance
1 Sol Ring
1 Spike Weaver
1 Spore Frog
1 Squee, Goblin Nabob
1 Stomping Ground
1 Strip Mine
1 Survival of the Fittest
1 Sylvan Library
1 Sylvan Scrying
1 Taiga
1 Thermopod
1 Thousand-Year Elixir
1 Thran Forge
1 Trash for Treasure
1 Treasure Vault
1 Verdant Catacombs
1 Viashino Heretic
1 Wand of Wonder
1 Wasteland
1 Wheel of Fortune
1 Willow Satyr
1 Windswept Heath
1 Wooded Foothills
1 Worldly Tutor
1 Zealous Conscripts

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
Only played this one once. Got off to a slow start with nothing promising that I could steal, while the opponent that had zero creatures the whole time got an engine going and won the game with Approach of the Second Sun. My contribution was essentially nothing here. I didn't have the heart to try the deck again right away after that experience.

Last edited:

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
After a few more tries, this deck still has yet to survive long enough for any of my opponents to figure out what my deck's theme is. I knew that I was building jank, and I can understand that maybe in some games I just get killed, but it's been pretty brutal. I've been really trying to commit to the attitude that I am purposely underpowering my decks, so I should expect mostly losses. I have been playing the game a lot longer than most of the other players at the store and I can roll with the punches. I'm there to have fun with goofy decks, not to win. But that is all predicated on the assumption that my decks will get to at least set up their cool stuff some of the time. If I'm always just a punching bag, then at some point I'm putting in the time assembling decks for nothing.

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
Well, I won a game with this deck. It was a weird one. The player with the Liesa, Shroud of Dusk deck built up an army of lifelinking attackers and was gaining plenty of life while depleting everyone else's life totals. He couldn't close the game out because this board state impelled an alliance between myself and another player running Kros, Defense Contractor. So the game stalled out. Eventually, one player got taken out, but the other three of us were gridlocked. I did get Willow Satyr, but by that point, the Kros player was killing Liesa anyway, so I had no truly important targets. On the last turn of the game, when it looked like I was going to win anyway, I topdecked Aladdin and was able to set up a combo. It wasn't my original vision for this deck. It wasn't Plan B or even Plan C really. But here's what I got...

Deserted Temple + Maze of Ith + Elixir of Immortality + Thran Forge + Argothian Elder + Seeker of Skybreak + Aladdin + Goblin Bombardment

Just an eight-card combo. And I (barely) had enough attackers to pull off a win without it.
  1. Attack with multiple creatures, including Seeker of Skybreak and Argothian Elder. Aladdin has summoning sickness and cannot attack, but can be activated anyway on account of Elixir of Immortality.
  2. Use Maze of Ith to untap my own Argothian Elder (not the usual use for Maze of Ith, but the creature is currently attacking, so this works).
  3. Use Argothian Elder to untap Maze of Ith and a mana-producing land. Repeat this process for infinite red and green mana.
  4. Instead of having Argothian Elder untap a mana-producing land, have it untap Deserted Temple. Spend mana to have Deserted Temple untap Maze of Ith, which can then be used to untap Seeker of Skybreak.
  5. Activate Thran Forge to turn each opposing creature into an artifact creature.
  6. Activate Aladdin to take control of an opposing artifact creature.
  7. Untap Aladdin with Seeker of Skybreak.
  8. Using the aforementioned Elder + Temple + Maze loop, repeatedly untap Seeker of Skybreak in order to repeatedly untap Aladdin, stealing every targetable creature on the board. Take the non-creature artifacts too, for good measure.
  9. Sacrifice creatures I don't like to Goblin Bombardment. Now they're gone. Keep the rest? I don't know. I won anyway.