Classic Forum?

Z

Zero

I see quite alot of people are asking the same old questions. Like "Whats your favorite color?" and sill voodoo like that. So why dont you make a forum where those questions are moved to and they dont do the 'Leave in 10 days" thingy....

Does that make sense ed?

D

DÛke

Why hasn't anyone replied to Dawn yet? She asked a good question. Better than the useless spam some of us post.

Well, personally, I think it's a good idea. I see many new comers ask questions that already been asked and answered before. There is no need to ask them again. The Classic Forum should contains those threads as to "What's your favorite <insert something here>,” or the "How old are you?”, and all that stuff.
It would also decrease the unintentional spam by the new members, asking the old questions.

I like it.

TomB

Administrator
Staff member
I'm actually about to agree with DUke! [insert jawdrop smilie we don't have here (MOTL has a nice one though!)]

I think it's a great idea, and I think I've made a bit of a connection here. I usually don't post to rerun things like that, because there's only so many times you can tell people how old you are, or what your favorite color is, etc. I imagine many of the other veteran members feel the same way as I do, and don't post to those threads for the same reason.

A great many of the newer members lately have been complaining about an "elitist" attitude amongst our more long-time members, but isn't it just possible that this is the real reason for at least part of it? And wouldn't adding your submissions to the older post serve the same function, and bring the whole group closer together?

I wonder what the temperature is like in Hell right now... ;)

A

Apollo

I also agree. There are a lot of those threads, and they can get kind of annoying. This would solve those problems, and new members could just come in when they joined and update the threads.

Z

Zadok001

I'd have no problem with that, it would clean up the Voting forum a bit... :)

[me] awaits Ed's Decree [/me]

Ed's Decree 3GG
Instant
Target website gets X features, where X is the number of hours spent online each day.

:)

J/K

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
but on the other hand, (since I don't get the "Leave off the 10 day thingie"), what's to prevent newcomers from NOT reading that forum and just posting away? I mean, really, all they have to do now is a search on whatever subject and oodles of threads should come up. Apparently they can't be bothered to do that so what's gonna make them read a new forum with old posts?

L

Landkiller

Well, if the forum was prominently placed somewhere near the top...people would see it.

And besides, you could use your all-powerful gifts as site editors to move threads, if you only had a place to put them.

But generally, I don't even see a problem with old topics. I mean, as a newbie, I think generally newbies don't mind. It becomes spam for older members. But it is of interest to some. And some older members may feel strongly about the issue, and try to sway newer members by representing their views. If that floats their boat, so be it.

I am not opposed to spam, as long as it doesn't offend people. By which I mean, excess profanity or flaming. Like on Mtgnews. OMG. That site has issues. They need to clean up thier posters.

<Landkiller would say more, but it would be a big flame against Mtgnews. Let it suffice to you all to know that Landkiller dislikes Mtgnews. PM me if you want to chat about that so I can express myself>

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
that really addressed what I was saying (the first statement). They can see all of the current forums and they can see the search button. But I do agree that having a "Classic forum" might make it more clear as to what kind of topics are in there so they can search specifically in there.

And I agree that if you're tired of posting the same answers over and over again, you don't have to. As long as the originators don't wonder out loud as to why their post isn't getting alot of answers ;)

D

DÛke

...Spiderman, we don't want our new arrivals to feel ignored, now do we? No. The Classic Forum is a well thought of idea. It really would help. Personally, I have to reply to the new-sers because I don't want them to feel unwelcomed; even if they ask a question which been asked 20 times, someone should answer it! They're not alone.

A

Apollo

Exactly what DUke said. Remember all those newcomers that have complained that no one has replied to their posts? Well, often it's because it's a discussion that has been rehashed over and over. Veterans don't post because they've seen it before, but newbies feel ignored.

And of course newcomers don't search for the individual posts. Why should it even occur to them? Their mindset is that they're new, and so everything they say will be new.

But if there was a classic forum, it would be different. It could be at the top. Whenever someone new joined, somebody could post a message that said something like:

"Welcome to the CPA. We'd encourage you to head first to the Classic Forum to check out all of the long-running topics and threads. It includes many of the topics that are often introduced by newcomers. Please, post your views on these topics."

That was off the top of my head, but the idea is about right. Heck, it could be the "Classic Speech," and I could steal it whenever someone new comes.:)

And as for the "ten day thingie," she means that topics in that forum wouldn't go away after 10 days; that way, they would always be at the top when a new member came.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
I do admit I like it that way, if that's how it's to be set up.

And preventing it to age off is a simple matter; just change your preferences to Show All instead of Last 10 days. I don't know if the forum as a whole can be set to that; I guess Ed will have to answer that one.

But just one little nit-picky thing: To me, if you're new, you lurk around a while, explore the place, before posting away. If you post right away and ask repeated questions, then you really shouldn't complain about people not posting (I actually don't know if this has happened, I think I just remember cases of people who've been here a while and were wondering why no one was replying).

As for "feeling the need to make them feel welcome", again, I say it would be better to direct them to previous posts and continue them if they feel so inclined and inform them of the search option. Then they learn something in the process ;)