Classes

Killer Joe

How about tournaments in every format for those whose DCI composite rating is officially 1799 or under. There can be classes established just like there's an age class (Junior Super Series) have the following:

World Class - DCI composite rating of 1800 and up
Open Class - DCI compositie rating 1500 - 1799
Class A - DCI composite rating 1499 and under
Novice Class - No DCI rating, first time entry level players. One time only.
Heck, you could even have an Exhibition Class (Casual) where you can play in tournaments (Of your class choice except World Class) but you gain/lose no points no matter the outcome of your match. You continue on if you win and drop if you don't.

Your DCI rating is checked at the time of registration at the tournament site.

Once your DCI rating goes up beyond your class level you're automatically bumped up to the next level.

This could work for Standard, Extended, 1.5, Limited (Draft or Sealed) and Classic.

Your class level that you start at is determined every year at the end of the World Championships.

N

Notepad

But there isn't too much of that going on. Why the need for classes? They already have stuff like invites, pro points, and whatnot to make sure there is a separate area for the supra-elite.

I like the exhibition idea, though. ;)

Killer Joe

I don't like the term "Classes".

How about this:
Division I level players: 1800 DCI composite rating and up. (You can only participate in Div. I)
Division II level players: 1500 DCI composite rating and up. (You can participate in either Div. II or I)
Division III level players: 1200 DCI composite rating and up. (You can participate in Div. III, II or I)
Novice Division: Entry Level players only. One time only.
Casual Division: You cannot recieve any points affecting your DCI composite rating. You can register for ANY Divisional tournament.

N

Notepad

Still what is the point of the different divisions?

Dividing players seems problematic, especially since many tourneys are just barely able to scrape together 8 players.

Killer Joe

I forgot to answer that q.

There was a post somewhere (I can't remember where though) about playing in Type I and the field not being level.

So I guess the point was that if you level the playing field non-hard core tournament players might want to participate more which, in turn, means, $$$$$$$ for Wiz Co.

These divisional tournaments don't have to be local, they could be held side-by-side at PTQ's/Grand Prix's and Pre-Releases.

Obviously only the Division I players can qualify for the Pro-Tour but I think alot of folks would still show up for Divisional II and III play. They get the chance to increase their tournament skills with 'like' players, they get more stuff from Wiz Co.'s REWARD program and now you even have BIGGER tounaments.

I don't know about YOUR area but only our Pre-Releases are big (300-500 participants each time and it's getting bigger). The Grand Prix's and PTQ's are maybe about 50 to a 100. The Pittsburgh area is chalk full of great players (TEAM CMU types: Nate Heiss, Nick Eisel, Mike Turian AND his Dad Rich, and a slew of others.) and they seem to be the only ones showing up.

There's a MD5 Block PTQ tomorrow and I know maybe a dozen people who aren't going, including me, to the tournament. Reasons go from not having a viable deck to hating to play knowing that they'll be at 0-2 by the end of round 2. It's disheartening, and I know there shouldn't be any complaining (crying) about it but if there were at least an outlet for these "sub-par" players, then they very well could be the next generation of pro-tour players.

All of this, still spells CA$H-OLA for Wiz Co.

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
I have no clue how the point system goes. But it seems like someone could play the novice division once and not accumulate enough points to get 1200, unless 1200 is rock bottom or something, like the SAT makes 400 the lowest or whatever it is, I don't remember...

Killer Joe

I was just pondering about that myself. How about you can play non-divisional tournaments at your local shop or wherever and get your points from there. Then at the big events the DCI can host Divisional play. Bragging rights is the only thing you'll get for winning a Divisional II or III tournament. But the top player from the Division I tournament still "Q's".

But prizes for all three top 8's. More for Div-I, a little less for Div. II and nominal for Div. III And pins for all with a I - II - or a III on it. :)

'kay!?

N

Notepad

Originally posted by Oversoul
I have no clue how the point system goes. But it seems like someone could play the novice division once and not accumulate enough points to get 1200, unless 1200 is rock bottom or something, like the SAT makes 400 the lowest or whatever it is, I don't remember...
1200 is WAY below rock bottom, dude. ;)

Everyone in the DCI starts with a rating of 1600. If you lose, you lose points. If you win, you win points. If you win or lose to players with similar ratings as yours, your rating only changes by a few points. However, if you lose or win to a player with a much different rating, your rating changes by a lot, which is maxed at the "k-level" of the event. For example, most prereleases are 16K, I think, which means if you were new (rating: 1600) and ripped up some super-pro (rating:1830 or so), then the ratings would change by the maximum amount: 16. You would then be 1616, and he would be 1814). This is opposite in the opposite direction, though. If in the same situation, the pro beat you, things would change by only one point. So you'd be 1599 and he'd be 1831. This is why pros only like to play with pros. They have a lot at stake if they lose "to a scrub" and nothing to gain. At least if they play another pro, they stand to gain something like 8 points, and would only lose about as much.

T

train

Classes/Divisions - either sounds okay... Is this just a CPA idea - or has WOTC mentioned something?...

Killer Joe

Okay, that's HELPFUL information. I never really knew HOW the point system worked.

Okay, so do it like this:

[WARNING: Sarcastic remarks to follow]

Have Pro Tour Qualifers and anyone can participate regardless of their point rating. Then when the scrubs get filtered through by the end of round 2, send them home with their ars in a sling! :rolleyes:

Also have them sign a waiver that they MUST participate in every PTQ in their area to make sure they have no lasting self-respect for themselves. AND, they're not allowed to whine or cry about their Wall of Resistance/Manland combo deck not working like it does at their kitchen table against their little brother Tommy. But HELL, at least they didn't NET DECK! :mad:

Oh, I'm sorry, that's how it is already!

[End sarcastic remarks]

Sorry, don't take it personal, it was aimed at the DCI, not you the reader.

Maybe the DCI IS trying to do a 'class' thing by having the Junior Super Series. But I know several "Kiddie" players who could take on anyone here and give them a run for their money. No KIDding ;)

Besides, when has Wiz Co. EVER taken a genuine idea from any single person or group. It's a joke having "The People" vote for what cards go into the next Core Set. Show them the Money $$$$$$$, Jade Leech? HELL NO!

Killer Joe

Whaaaaaaa-Hoeyyyyyyyyyy!

I had an original thought and got credit for it!!!!! Yipee! :D

Ya know, I'd just like to thank all the "Little People" out there who allowed me to trample over them.............;)

Actually, this all would never work because it's too intricate and time consuming :( .

T

train

I'll give you secured credit!...

please deposit 10,000 dollars into my bank account, and you will have 1,000 immediately available for spending!...

:D

I like the idea, but with everyone so "tied" into the current system, how much resistance do you think you'll encounter if the idea went "public"...

O

orgg

I don't think this is a good idea; Magic skill is only improved by playing against better players. Tournaments as they are now allow newer players to grow if they wish to take that additional step-- stratifying the tournaments would lead to a division within the Magic community and allow sloppier play to evolve.

Killer Joe

Why can't all of the colleges compete on the same level? I would love to see Robert Morris College (a college for business) play against Notre Dame :)

I guess it's just like those little sea turtles you see on Animal Planet. There are so many of them that the chance of some of them making it to the ocean (PTQ's) is very likely. Argh, I says, "SEA TURTLES". :D

If I were a new player today, I would stay the hell away from tourney play as much as I could. It's not very friendly :( nor is it supposed to be.

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
I would have just skipped getting into Magic altogether. It's addictive and kind of expensive...

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Yeah, it's kinda insiduous that way. You buy a Starter or couple packs just to play with friends and after a year or so, you feel the need to "keep up" and buy new cards because your originals are "outdated" already (unless you play in the older formats).