chittering rats

T

TheCasualOblivion

kind of wondering on the general opinion of this card.

A

Aneximines

Well, it's fun in a Soul Foundry. You can play the Foundry's ability during your opponent's draw step after they draw, so if he's drawing a non-instant, he'll be drawing that same card every turn without being able to play it. Or maybe Erratic Portal and Aluren instead of the Foundry.

J

jorael

Works good with Aether Vial too.

I have a B/U cavern harpy deck with creatures like: Raven Familiar, Bone Shredder, Man-'O-War and Chittering Rats. Great for casual multiplayer. The rodent probably isn't tournament material, but that is true for the best cards in the game ;)

M

Mikeymike

It is a very dangerous creature to start a CiP loop with, a la Soul Foundry and Recurring Nightmare. Its ability becomes akin to: "Play this again and again, target opponent skips draw step." Ugly.

T

TheCasualOblivion

I've been playing them, and found them having great synergy with discard. You pile on them early with Hymn, and Specter and whatever, then when there hand is reduced to 1 or 2, you start playing Chittering Rats to screw their draws and keep them screwed over.

L

Limited

Liking this card.. mostly because it's good whenever you play it. If you play a second turn Ravenous Rats, there's a small chance you help them.. but there's hardly a way for your opponent to abuse putting a card on top of his library.. (call of the wild, tolarian winds.. err)

Anyway, just wanted to mention that any recurring combo with Chittering Rats is nasty, but stay away from Aluren! (the whole point of recurring the Rat is that your opponent can only play instants.. giving him more instant to play seems silly..)

2ct

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
It's a pretty nice little bullet. It's not the best at slowing down the opponent and as an attacker it's nothing to scream about. I had a friend who used it in block constructed and really liked it there. In formats with larger cardpools there tend to be better choices...

G

Gizmo

It's in the same class as Ravenous Rats I think. The discard effect is weaker but is STILL a -1 card to them - a card they haven't draw - and you get a more useful creature tied in with it.

I imagine a deck of 4 Black Zubera, 4 Ravenous Rats, 4 Chittering Rats, 4 Phyrexian Ragers... there's a lot of card advantage wrapped up in those little abilities, nibbling away at what choices your opponent has available to him.

I'd be surprised if they make it into tournament decks, but they're servicable enough.

R

Rooser

I'm a sucker for putting things on top of my opponent's library, but I have yet to use this card. My opinion of it is that in the right home, it is an excellent utility creature.

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
Oh, I should note that the deck in which I saw this guy was a monoblack Death Cloud deck used in MD5 block constructed. The deck packed quite a punch but being monoblack and all that, had obvious problems with things like Affinity...

Chittering Rats was a nice creature that would hit early on (often teaming up with Blind Creeper, I think) and slow down the opponent while the deck waited to cast a Death Cloud or Plunge into Darkness.