Cheese standing alone?

E

evan d

What does the cheese stands alone mean and what is it from.

I heard that in a song on the oldies today.

Sorry if this is in the wrong forum.

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
"The cheese stands alone" is a line from a song. The song is called "The Farmer in the Dell." I don't remember all of the words, but it's not a deep or meaningful song.

Because people thing "random" means funny, a lot of random things were thrown into the set, Unglued. And when people try to come up with random things, for some reason they always wind up picking foodstuffs. There is probably some psychological explanation for this.

In Unglued, they also liked picking stuff that had to do with cows and chickens. And they liked picking stuff out of well-known songs. Cheese is a foodstuff, a dairy product, and "the cheese stands alone" is a line from a well-known song. It was PERFECT for Unglued.

And, as you might notice, the card makes no further references to "The Farmer in the Dell." The flavor text is a joke about the title of the card itself.

I used to fetch it with Ring of Ma'Ruf in highlander games, then cast it and play Kaervek's Spite while it was on the stack. Good times...

I

Istanbul

I designed a mono-white deck around the card that had a fair chance of winning.

Ferret

Staff member
(moved thanks to YT)

You know, I think this card was rather amusing back in the days of Unglued, but I think that it wouldn't be a bad "real" card. With so many different kinds of alternate ways to win it could work out well.

-Ferret

"I mean there's a card that rewards you for having an oversized library and it's legal..."

E

evan d

I have been waiting for some free time to do an article with the cheese and a probably free rare. All I need is some free time, and a way to destroy all but one card. Well, my two colors would like this. Unfortunately, choice of damnations can't target me.

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
Jokulhaups can activate Cheese if you have an empty hand and no other enchantments. Kaervek's Spite is still my favorite...

J

Jigglypuff

Except that you would lose the Cheese when you cast Kaervek's Spite. You lose your hand and your permanents simultaneously.

I played Academy Rector, Renounce, and Patrol Hound/Wild Mongrel/Trained Pronghorn. It was fun. Kind of.

(- Steve -)

A

Aneximines

Jigglypuff said:
Except that you would lose the Cheese when you cast Kaervek's Spite. You lose your hand and your permanents simultaneously.
Kaervek's Spite is an instant, so you can play it while the Cheese is on the stack (while a card is on the stack it is neither in your hand nor in play).

I've always liked the idea of playing the Spite while you have an Academy Rector in play (and the Cheese somewhere in your library). It seems like the cheapest way to win with the Cheese.

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
Aneximines said:
I've always liked the idea of playing the Spite while you have an Academy Rector in play (and the Cheese somewhere in your library). It seems like the cheapest way to win with the Cheese.
Yeah, that would probably be the easiest way to win with Cheese (and it really is a cheesy win condition).