Check only one:

Which basic deck concept, listed below, do you most identify with?

• Control

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Combo

Votes: 1 33.3%
  • Beatdown

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 2 66.7%

• Total voters

Killer Joe

Which basic deck concept, listed here, do you most identify with:
Control
Combo
Beatdown
Other
If other, please post what it is.

Killer Joe

The fact that I am a teacher may be a factor in my choice. IRL, I often let other's talk first so that I can adjust my reaction (I DO have control of my actions-which is a serious lesson to learn, really.)
Anyone here that remotely knows me, knows that I love long games (even though I'm still working on the 'long game' concentration part). I realize now that I would much prefer my opponents to concede, in disgust, rather than win out-right via beatdown. And I have never been one to enjoy playing combo decks like 'Academy' and the likes.
Don't get me wrong, I totally appreciate non-control decks, it's just that I've come to the conclusion that I am a control player, it fits my personality.
The 'Road to Tourneyland' has revealed this to me, and I have accepted myself for who I am, ME.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
I think control edges out for me because I like to be prepared for all cases. I also like longer games because it makes the game more mental (if I'm playing against a beatdown or combo, I've probably disrupted his strategy (or am trying to) and against another control, tha games will be long regardless). And if you think more, you might make mistakes more. :)

Melkor

I know that my style and thought process most closely align with the beatdown strategy. That said, I've come to the conclusion that in order to be competitive with my friends I have to play decks that have the ability to "Counter target spell." Simply put, blue is the most powerful color in the game of Magic so I really try to play aggro-control decks. My mentality is beatdown but control seems the best deck type so I try a synthesis of the two.

M

Mr_Pestilence

I play a lot of decks that are very aggressive in nature, yet maintain an element of control in the way of creature removal (even mass removal) and some way to destroy Artifacts and Enchantments.

As for just countering spells I don't like, I don't do that often. To me, it's boring to just sit there with untapped Islands while my opponent is trying to do something.

H

Hetemti

I tend to play "perpetual intensification" decks. (Yep, I made that name up all by myself. :) )

The idea is simple, start with early pressure and present greater and greater threats each turn forcing my opponent to expend his resources on eliminating what I've played. This slowes them down and expends their resources.

Take my R/W deck, (please!) for example:

MoR
Fireslinger
Charging Pegasus
Viashino Cutthroats
Serras
Dragons

Each land opens the floodgates for another level of annoying crap to harras my opponent.

Add plenty of removal, and any non-good deck (Note: There are only three kinds of decks: blue decks, land destruction, and crappy (everything else) decks.) will have trouble gaining control and maintaining tempo.

P

Prince RXI

Hey, I choose "other". My favorite white deck is my old "Angel's Raising" deck. I was LOTS of angels with some 1 casting cost ground creatures to block fast. It had:

2 Radiant Archangel
4 Radiant's Dragoons
4 Serra's embrace
4 Opal Titan
4 Opal Archangels
2 Archangels
4 Thornwind faeries
3 Zephid's embrace
4 Opal Gargoyle
2 Opal champion
4 Sactuary Custodian
3 Prodigil Sorcerers
13 Plains
7 Islands

It doesn't strike me as being a combo deck, so I thought I would be a good other

Prince RXI, Moon's spirit of purity and life

Z

Zadok001

Well, I'm not sure where my decktypes fit on that spectrum, so I checked 'Other.' :) See Metagame Clock? Look at :37. That's me. Aggro-control or the opposing Midgame decks. I play decks that present a threat and run with it whenever I can (if the deck is viable, which, sadly, it rarely is). Machine Head, Skies, etc, are my favorite current decks. Unfortunately, I don't have the cards to play Skies, and Machine Head sucks, so I'm kinda down on Type 2 right now.

A

Almindhra

I like discard...Nothing can screw over an opponent more than getting rid of cards in their hand...Megrim is also my friend...

D

DÛke

...freak.

My favorite type of control is Black control. Now, I like Black/Blue control, thanks to Invasion and Planeshift.

I believe that the easiest ways to "control" an opponent is by discard: Unmask, Duress, Stupor, Ravenous Rats...etc. Most other control types are over-costed, or dependant on your opponent, like countermagic. Discard is specail, because it's active (unlike countermagic which is reactive) AND controlish, both at the same time. I must say, discard also comes in cheap ways: Unmask, Duress, Stupor...

...all that, plus the fact that it plays mind games with the opponent.

I love Black. I love control. I'm coming to liking Blue.

D

Dark_Tira

My decks are unclassifiable. Though if I had to describe them I guess they would be Responsive-unaggressive-noncounter/multicontrol-beatdown with a touch of combo and often theme-based. So I'm assuming it's "other."

S

Sidar Jabari

Aggro control. Get out 1 or 2 quick, durable, weenies and counter or destroy anything that gets in their way then ride them all the way to the farm!

Luckily it hardly ever works like that so I spend most of my time scrabbling for every bit of advantage I can, pitting my Crystaline Slivers and Knights of Dawn against beasts like Blasto and Rith, desperately using my tricks and skill to try to keep pace with my opponents fat creatures. Fun, eh?

L

lilpinhead

i like to play theme decks myself...they usually arent suited to nayhthing other than really laid back 1 on 1 or multiplayer but they all tend to have ways of removing everything...which is always nice.

G

Gerode

I'm the person in every group who tries to come up with the most crazy, insane combos. I've created 2 for Carnival of Souls, several for Stasis, and have one involving Saber Ants, as well as some of the current decks I have.

I also like building decks around one (usually annoying) card, like Humility, Nature's Revolt, and Lifeline.

Killer Joe

...what decks types are there, really?
Control, no matter how you attain it, is control. You could fancy it up with cool suave names and/or put a non-control card or two in it, but when it comes right down to it, control is control.

Combo, no matter how you attain it, it's combo. <same as above just replace the word 'control' with 'combo'>

Beatdown, no matter <same as above>

Are there really other types?
Burn? <Control>
Discard? <Control>
Aggro-Control? <Beatdown/Control>
Land Destruction? <Control>
Skies? <Control>

I believe these are considered "Deck Archetypes", which is different than what the "Poll Question" is asking.
I will post a deck archetype poll.

I know no one wants to fit into a "Label" (especially here at THIS site), but don't immediately take the "High Road" to being different, think about it, which BASIC DECK TYPE DO YOU MOST IDENTIFY WITH?
CONTROL
BEATDOWN
COMBO
OTHER <Zadok was closest to giving a legit explaination, he identifyed with an amalgam of Beatdown & Control>