Cheater, cheater.....

M

Multani

First off, keep in mind that the DCI is constricted by laws and loopholes and such-like that prevent it from handling all cases of cheating perfectly.
Secondly, do not forget that the DCI, like almost everything else, is more or less a business, and the only a thing a business is really concerned about is money and profit.
Finally, if the DCI did get the power to ban anyone, then it would make it extremely easy to ban players for no reason. Also, if players are banned, the DCI also loses, as, less people go to tournament, less money for DCI.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Did the DCI make up these rules? And why aren't they enforcable in court? What's the use of making up rules that aren't binding?

I agree with Ura, they ought to write them so they are enforcable and binding in court.

If the DCI is a business, this is why they shouldn't be. Conflict of interest. I'm pretty sure referees from other sports aren't businesses.

I thought the DCI does[/i] have the power to ban people. Didn't they ban Long for a while and some other people?

I

Istanbul

The DCI should not be subject to the law.

Yeah, you heard me.

Magic is a game. The DCI is an organization to organize tournaments. To say that they HAVE to let certain people in...well, IMHO, the DCI should be able to ban people based on judgement calls. Proof should be present for investigation purposes, but there shouldn't be any legal requirement at all.

G

Gizmo

Do you all live in a fantasy world?
Really?

The DCI can ban anybody it wants. But that person can choose to make it a legal issue so the DCI will want to be able to have a strong case to back up what it says about that person.

Jeff Donais gets bored, so he writes an article for the next issue of Sideboard - Darwin Kastle is the biggest cheater ever, he cheats at least twice in every game, Ive never known him to NOT stack both his and his opponents deck, I wouldn`t trust this man with $1. Every tournament report to come from Your Move Games has been fraudulently entered and I strongly suggest nobody ever attends any events to be held at Your Move Games, and in fact I am withdrawing DCI sanctioning for any event they organise there.
Darwins gonna be pretty pissed. Darwins gonna lose a lot of money from lost revenue at the shop and potential winnings, plus his character has been attacked.

DCI should be above the law?
Laughable.
You don`t want the DCI you want the CIA.

U

Ura

Its not about asking for the CIA, though that would be kinda cool in an odd fashion. :)

If Jeff Donais did that then I would sue his oink off too, because its about making it a very open and public event when he gets bored and writes the article.
I'm talking about the DCI investigating the reports and allegations properly and efficiently and then simply call the guy up or send a rep to explain to him what has happened and the proof against him and then give the punishment due. Its not about a media propaganda engine to destroy the business, its about simply cutting off access to sponsored programs for running at less then a certain level of clarity and honesty.
Maybe people don't understand what it takes to become a dci preferred location or get sanctioned tournaments but I fought with and jumped through an incredible amount of hoops for WotC and the DCI to get that for my shop for over a year and they refused to grant me that privilage no matter how often I had the place packed and amount of marketing I did for them.
It really pissed me off to get screwed like that when other people are blatantly and easily detectable abusing these privilages.
The DCI's word should be the bottom line in these matters, they have no reason to do this for anyone, they don't make money at it. If they were a seperate body from WotC they would have nothing to get sued for. If anything they should have a clause when you get your DCI membership that is similar to the user agreements on computer software that specifically state the company can't be sued for anything because some retard screws up their comp or cheats at the game.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
I'm talking about the DCI investigating the reports and allegations properly and efficiently and then simply call the guy up or send a rep to explain to him what has happened and the proof against him and then give the punishment due
For all we know they might have done that. The guy says they didn't or did a sloppy job of it, but that's why I was calling for documentation to back it up.

I

Istanbul

So, we have a judicial body in Magic terms that can't be effective 95% of the time because they need proof, and proof is almost impossible to come by.

Even if we ignore the favoritism, tendency to ignore problems, and overall head-in-the-ground mentality, I reiterate:

The DCI is a joke.