chat room

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Okay, what EXACTLY do we need to get the chat room working for Whimsy and me? When we try the link Zadok posted, apparently she gets a blank screen (jump in here anytime to explain it) and I get a white box against a black border.

Do we need IRC? Do we need Java initialized/on/set to some setting? Help help help help... ;)

W

Whimsical

The link works ... it just takes a while for the java applet to kick into high gear. One question though ... why the beebles is the chat room so bare? I'm in it ... I have no idea how the commands here work ... I have no idea who else is there with me if any ... <sob, sob>

okay, that was a lot of questions. :D

Ed Sullivan

CPA Founder, Web Guy
Staff member
Java has to be on. Your firewall's probably killing it - I dunno though.

I don't support the chat room at all. Too lame for my tastes. :)

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Fortunately the chat room opens up in a new browser...

I just went back to it and found it had the "Enter your name: " box... however, a message below it says "Connecting to server... failed. Server may be down"

Any ideas on what's going on? Sorry to seem impatient, I'm not really, but since Ed's on the boards right now I'm trying to catch him...

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
When I started my post no one else had replied, and when I finished my post the others came up! Dang it, dang it...

I hate firewalls if that's why. Same reasons I can't play on-line games from work on iwon.com or gamesville... :)

I'm going to try again... maybe I got impatient...

W

Whimsical

I don't think it's a case of the firewalls blocking all the fun syndrome, mister Ed sir. I got through just fine ... 'cept it's a tad bit lonely in there all by mahself. <sighs> It's like looking at a bare white room ... without the nice padding. ::

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
but I just tried again and it says "Connection to server failed." I have no idea if I can fix it on my end... since I have no clue what it really means... if it IS my end...

W

Whimsical

I get my heinie out of the chat room for a while ... then you can try to log in from your end again ... tell me if it works ...

Oh the stuff we do when boredom knocks on the door... :D

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Why would that work? You shouldn't be stopping me from entering...

But we can try it. Let me know when you're out.

W

Whimsical

Most of the common Java errors are caused because cookies have been disabled in your browser ... might as well try to enable cookies on your server, mister Wallcrawler sir. It's worth a shot ...

On a side note ... I don't have any problems connecting at all to the monologue room...

R

Rando

Whimsical and I are in there right now. I didn't have a problem.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
It won't work... it's gotta be my firewall... life is SO unfair...

You'll have to "go on without me", Whimsy and Rando... I'm stuck wondering what wondrous and glorious things you could be talking about... *sob*

R

Rando

I came back from lunch and Whimsical was gone.
It is very lonely in there. A big white chat-room waste land.