Changes in the Core Set

Ransac

CPA Trash Man
I'm salivating.... Mana Birds will be back in Standard!!!!

I love the idea of printing all new cards for the Core set. Magic 2010 looks to be what draws me back in to attending pre-releasing.

Lowryn planeswalkers being brought back as Mythic rares. Nice.

AarFor said:
Fast Facts on Magic 2010:

* Because of the influx of new designs, many cards that have been in every core set so far are leaving. As of Magic 2010, there will be only eight cards that have appeared in every core set, down from sixteen as of Tenth Edition.
* There has been some speculation as to which set of existing dual lands will be in the next core set, and the answer may surprise: none of them. We wanted to make a cycle of powerful dual lands that risk-averse newer players would like, which meant coming up with something that didn't involve losing life. Sorry, painlands, fetchlands, and Ravnica duals. Trust me, the new ones are awesome!
* Of the fifteen mythic rares in the set, nine are reprints (five of which you can deduce from this article) and six are brand new.
THE DEBATE IS OVER!!! No painlands! No fetchlands! No shocklands!!!!!! These will not include loss of life. He specifically mentions "make a cycle," so it's safe to say these will not be any of the tap-lands (Invasion, Cold Snap, or Alara), Lorwyn Tribal lands, or the Odyssey/Shadowmoor/Eventide filter-lands.

I'm waiting on baited breath for the 2010 pre-release.

ForAar said:
Another part of our plan to keep the core set relevant is that it will be refreshed every year, not every other year. Doing a core set every year will preclude us from doing other fourth sets, like Eventide, Coldsnap, and Unhinged and will give us a much more structured and predictable release schedule of three expert-level expansions and one core set each year.

To accommodate this much more rapid core set turnover, we are changing our format rotation policy beginning in the summer of 2010 with the release of the Magic 2011 core set. Magic 2011 will not knock Magic 2010 out of Standard; instead there will be only one rotation date per year, when the large Fall set is released. When the set codenamed "Lights" is released late in 2010, it will knock the Shards of Alara block and Magic 2010 out of Standard at the same time. Core sets will rotate as if they were part of the block preceding them. For approximately three months per year starting in 2010, there will be two core sets legal at a time, which is also a first.
WOW!!!!!! but.... no more un-sets?

EDIT: WHOA!!!!!! Serra Angel is back to being Uncommon!?!?!!?!??!

Ransac, cpa trash man

B

BigBlue

6 mythic slots... 5 duals?

Here are some dual land suggestions off the cuff...

Type A:

Marsh - Legendary Land - T: U or B.

Couldn't use more than one in play due to legend status, not fetchable, simple to use. (I could even see it w/o the legendary status, though the mythic stuff tends to be that way.)

Type 2 (somewhat interesting and different)

Marsh - Land - When ~ cip, you may sacrifice a basic land. If you do, put a color token on ~ for the color mana produced by the sacrificed land. T: B or the color.

Not as simple, but in essence a cycle of these would allow you to create whatever duals you need at the cost of a basic land.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Ransac said:
I love the idea of printing all new cards for the Core set.
Well, not *all* new. 50% new cards (unless you mean cards that haven't been in a core set before).

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
Meh. Core set schmor set. The last time I touched a core set was when I used the 10th edition cards in those free decks WotC sent me. Other than that, I'm not sure I if I own any core set cards beyond 6th edition.

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
Yeah, I'm sure. In my case there are already plenty of cards on my "get these cards" list. I don't really need a multiplayer version of Orim's Chant (minus the kicker).

M

mythosx

I guess they got tired for trying to story in new cards all the time. Now they can put that future sight myr in without creating an expansion to explain it.

Shabbaman

insert avatar here
Spiderman;279438 said:
Well, not *all* new. 50% new cards (unless you mean cards that haven't been in a core set before).
I do hope they're not changing 50% of the core set each year. That'd mean a very large number of new cards. I thought they had just figured out that "players" feel there were too many new cards, hence the smaller set size.

Anyway, I love the fantasy feel of the previewed cards. Most cards are connected to the story of the block they're in (duh), and while that's nice (I like stories) I do think a more general fantasy feel would do the game good.

I'm a bit scared about the new "duals". I certainly hope it won't be 40 buck rares without which you can't play competitively, but I guess they will. I really, really hope they won't be better than existing fake duals. I'd say the hybrid filter lands would be pretty good for newbies.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
mythosx said:
I guess they got tired for trying to story in new cards all the time. Now they can put that future sight myr in without creating an expansion to explain it.
There might still be a story...

Shabbaman said:
I do hope they're not changing 50% of the core set each year.
No, I think it's just this first time since there's so many cards to replace. At least, it just says for Magic 2010. After that, it might go down, maybe to 25%? That's a nice round number :)