Challenger Decks: Spidey (Counter Surge) vs Oversoul (Vehicle Rush)

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
Done.

Spidey: 9
Energy Ctrs: EEEE
Hand: 2
Library: 48
Battlefield:

(U) Swamp
(T) Forest
(T) Hashep Oasis (Desert; T: Add C to my mana pool.; T, Pay 1 life: Add G to my mana pool.; 1GG, T, Sac a Desert: Target creature gets +3/+3 ueot. Activate this ability only any time I can cast a sorcery)
(U) Foul Orchard (~ ETB tapped.; T: Add B or G to my mana pool)

(T) Longtusk Cub (3/3 from ctr; Whenever ~ deals combat dmg to a player, I get EE (two energy ctrs).; Pay EE: Put a +1/+1 ctr on ~) *1 +1/+1 ctr*
(S) Longtusk Cub (2/2; Whenever ~ deals combat dmg to a player, I get EE (two energy ctrs).; Pay EE: Put a +1/+1 ctr on ~)

Graveyard: Fatal Push, Dreamstealer (Eternalize 4BB), Rishkar (Peema Renegade), Blossoming Defense
Exile:
=================================================================================================
Oversoul: 14
Hand: 0
Library: 45
Battlefield:

(U) Plains
(T) Mountain
(U) Unclaimed Territory (As ~ etb, choose a creature type. T: Adds C to my mana pool. T: Adds one mana of any color to my mana pool. Spend this mana only to cast a creature spell of the chosen type.) [Naming Dwarf]
(T) Unclaimed Territory (As ~ etb, choose a creature type. T: Adds C to my mana pool. T: Adds one mana of any color to my mana pool. Spend this mana only to cast a creature spell of the chosen type.) [Naming Human]
(T) Spire of Industry (T: Adds C to my mana pool. T, pay 1 life: Adds one mana of any color to my mana pool. Activate this ability only if you control an artifact.)

(U) Heart of Kiran (4/4; Flying, vigilance, Crew 3. I may remove a loyalty counter from a planeswalker I control rather than pay ~'s crew cost.)

(U) Bomat Courier (1/1; Haste. Whenever ~ attacks, exile the top card of my library face down. R, Discard my hand, sac ~: put all cards exiled with ~ into their owners' hands.)
(T) Scrapheap Scrounger (3/2; ~ can't block. 1B, exile another creature card from my graveyard: return ~ from my graveyard to the battlefield.)

Graveyard: Toolcraft Exemplar, Evolving Wilds, Unlicensed Disintegration
Exile: 3 Facedown cards [from Bomat Courier][/quote]

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Untap, upkeep, Draw

Attack with both
Responses/blocks?

Energy Ctrs: EEEE
Hand: 3
Library: 47
Battlefield:

(U) Swamp
(U) Forest
(U) Hashep Oasis (Desert; T: Add C to my mana pool.; T, Pay 1 life: Add G to my mana pool.; 1GG, T, Sac a Desert: Target creature gets +3/+3 ueot. Activate this ability only any time I can cast a sorcery)

(T,A) Longtusk Cub (3/3 from ctr; Whenever ~ deals combat dmg to a player, I get EE (two energy ctrs).; Pay EE: Put a +1/+1 ctr on ~) *1 +1/+1 ctr*
(T,A) Longtusk Cub (2/2; Whenever ~ deals combat dmg to a player, I get EE (two energy ctrs).; Pay EE: Put a +1/+1 ctr on ~)

Graveyard: Fatal Push, Dreamstealer (Eternalize 4BB), Rishkar (Peema Renegade), Blossoming Defense
Exile:
=================================================================================================
Oversoul: 14
Battlefield:

(U) Plains
(T) Mountain
(U) Unclaimed Territory (As ~ etb, choose a creature type. T: Adds C to my mana pool. T: Adds one mana of any color to my mana pool. Spend this mana only to cast a creature spell of the chosen type.) [Naming Dwarf]
(T) Unclaimed Territory (As ~ etb, choose a creature type. T: Adds C to my mana pool. T: Adds one mana of any color to my mana pool. Spend this mana only to cast a creature spell of the chosen type.) [Naming Human]
(T) Spire of Industry (T: Adds C to my mana pool. T, pay 1 life: Adds one mana of any color to my mana pool. Activate this ability only if you control an artifact.)

(T) Heart of Kiran (4/4; Flying, vigilance, Crew 3. I may remove a loyalty counter from a planeswalker I control rather than pay ~'s crew cost.)

(U) Bomat Courier (1/1; Haste. Whenever ~ attacks, exile the top card of my library face down. R, Discard my hand, sac ~: put all cards exiled with ~ into their owners' hands.)
(T) Scrapheap Scrounger (3/2; ~ can't block. 1B, exile another creature card from my graveyard: return ~ from my graveyard to the battlefield.)

Exile: 3 Facedown cards [from Bomat Courier]

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
That's 7 and I get four energy counters.

Swamp
Glint-Sleeve Siphoner x2, getting two energy counters.

Done

Energy Ctrs: EEEEEE
Battlefield:

(T,T) Swamp x2
(T) Forest
(T) Hashep Oasis (Desert; T: Add C to my mana pool.; T, Pay 1 life: Add G to my mana pool.; 1GG, T, Sac a Desert: Target creature gets +3/+3 ueot. Activate this ability only any time I can cast a sorcery)

(T) Longtusk Cub (4/4 from ctrs; Whenever ~ deals combat dmg to a player, I get EE (two energy ctrs).; Pay EE: Put a +1/+1 ctr on ~) *2+1/+1 ctr*
(T) Longtusk Cub (3/3 from ctr; Whenever ~ deals combat dmg to a player, I get EE (two energy ctrs).; Pay EE: Put a +1/+1 ctr on ~) *1 +1/+1 ctr*
(S) Gline-Sleeve Siphoner (2/1; Menace; Whenever ~ ETB or attacks, I get E.; At the beginning of my upkeep, I may pay EE. If I do, I draw a card and I lose a life)
(S) Gline-Sleeve Siphoner (2/1; Menace; Whenever ~ ETB or attacks, I get E.; At the beginning of my upkeep, I may pay EE. If I do, I draw a card and I lose a life)

Exile:
Oversoul: 7
Battlefield:

(U) Plains
(T) Mountain

(T) Heart of Kiran (4/4; Flying, vigilance, Crew 3. I may remove a loyalty counter from a planeswalker I control rather than pay ~'s crew cost.)

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
UUD, Toolcraft Exemplar. Beginning of combat crew Heart of Kiran with Toolcraft Exemplar, then attack with Heart of Kiran. Responses?

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
Done.

Battlefield:

(T,T) Swamp x2
(T) Forest

(T) Longtusk Cub (4/4 from ctrs; Whenever ~ deals combat dmg to a player, I get EE (two energy ctrs).; Pay EE: Put a +1/+1 ctr on ~) *2+1/+1 ctr*

Exile:
Library: 44
Battlefield:

(U) Plains
(U) Mountain
(T) Unclaimed Territory (As ~ etb, choose a creature type. T: Adds C to my mana pool. T: Adds one mana of any color to my mana pool. Spend this mana only to cast a creature spell of the chosen type.) [Naming Dwarf]
(U) Unclaimed Territory (As ~ etb, choose a creature type. T: Adds C to my mana pool. T: Adds one mana of any color to my mana pool. Spend this mana only to cast a creature spell of the chosen type.) [Naming Human]
(U) Spire of Industry (T: Adds C to my mana pool. T, pay 1 life: Adds one mana of any color to my mana pool. Activate this ability only if you control an artifact.)

(U) Heart of Kiran (4/4; Flying, vigilance, Crew 3. I may remove a loyalty counter from a planeswalker I control rather than pay ~'s crew cost.)

(U) Scrapheap Scrounger (3/2; ~ can't block. 1B, exile another creature card from my graveyard: return ~ from my graveyard to the battlefield.)
(T) Toolcraft Exemplar (1/1; At the beginning of combat on my turn, if I control an artifact, ~ gets +2/+1 ueot. If I control three or more artifacts, it also gains first strike ueot.)

Graveyard: Toolcraft Exemplar, Evolving Wilds, Lightning Strike, Unlicensed Disintegration

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Yeah, sorry about that.

Untap, upkeep, Draw

Use the Oasis to give the first Siphoner +3/+3. Responses?

Hand: 1
Library: 46
Battlefield:

(T,U) Swamp x2
(T) Forest
(T) Foul Orchard (~ ETB tapped.; T: Add B or G to my mana pool)

Graveyard: Fatal Push, Dreamstealer (Eternalize 4BB), Rishkar (Peema Renegade), Blossoming Defense, Hashep Oasis
Exile:
Battlefield:

(U) Plains
(U) Mountain
(T) Unclaimed Territory (As ~ etb, choose a creature type. T: Adds C to my mana pool. T: Adds one mana of any color to my mana pool. Spend this mana only to cast a creature spell of the chosen type.) [Naming Dwarf]
(U) Unclaimed Territory (As ~ etb, choose a creature type. T: Adds C to my mana pool. T: Adds one mana of any color to my mana pool. Spend this mana only to cast a creature spell of the chosen type.) [Naming Human]
(U) Spire of Industry (T: Adds C to my mana pool. T, pay 1 life: Adds one mana of any color to my mana pool. Activate this ability only if you control an artifact.)

(U) Scrapheap Scrounger (3/2; ~ can't block. 1B, exile another creature card from my graveyard: return ~ from my graveyard to the battlefield.)
(T) Toolcraft Exemplar (1/1; At the beginning of combat on my turn, if I control an artifact, ~ gets +2/+1 ueot. If I control three or more artifacts, it also gains first strike ueot.)

Graveyard: Toolcraft Exemplar, Evolving Wilds, Lightning Strike, Unlicensed Disintegration

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Attack with all
Responses/blocks/take it?

Hand: 1
Library: 46
Battlefield:

(T,U) Swamp x2
(T) Forest
(T) Foul Orchard (~ ETB tapped.; T: Add B or G to my mana pool)

(T,A) Longtusk Cub (4/4 from ctrs; Whenever ~ deals combat dmg to a player, I get EE (two energy ctrs).; Pay EE: Put a +1/+1 ctr on ~) *2+1/+1 ctr*
(T,A) Longtusk Cub (3/3 from ctr; Whenever ~ deals combat dmg to a player, I get EE (two energy ctrs).; Pay EE: Put a +1/+1 ctr on ~) *1 +1/+1 ctr*
(T,A) Gline-Sleeve Siphoner (2/1; Menace; Whenever ~ ETB or attacks, I get E.; At the beginning of my upkeep, I may pay EE. If I do, I draw a card and I lose a life) *Currently 5/4*
(T,A) Gline-Sleeve Siphoner (2/1; Menace; Whenever ~ ETB or attacks, I get E.; At the beginning of my upkeep, I may pay EE. If I do, I draw a card and I lose a life)

Graveyard: Fatal Push, Dreamstealer (Eternalize 4BB), Rishkar (Peema Renegade), Blossoming Defense, Hashep Oasis
Exile:
Battlefield:

(U) Plains
(U) Mountain

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
Yeah, I'm dead. I didn't see your second Glint-Sleeve Siphoner on your board (although you did mention playing two in your post where you cast them, so fair enough) or I'd have realized it then. Could have saved myself with chump blocks if it had just been one Siphoner, but I have no outs against both those and the Longtusk Cubs.

Good game. I don't think Counter Surge fares well against Vehicle Rush. I had crap draws all game and was still just one turn behind you.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
although you didn't mention playing two in your post where you cast them, so fair enough
Do you mean I did mention them? Yeah, again, I apologize - I was looking at the state of the board with just one Siphoner originally and trying to reconcile that with my spreadsheet where I had both on the battlefield and looked at my turn to make sure I said I cast them both. If you want to rewind if that makes a difference and you didn't want to attack, that's fine with me.

Otherwise, good game! Yeah, CounterSurge is too slow - you wrecked me with the Unlicensed Destruction, it was fortunate I had the cards (and apparently you didn't get the draws) to recover in time. Plus the Blossoming Defense helped a little :)

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
Do you mean I did mention them?
Oops! :oops:

Yes, did mention them. That was what I meant. I must have been looking at my other "didn't" in the same sentence and zoned out!

Yeah, again, I apologize - I was looking at the state of the board with just one Siphoner originally and trying to reconcile that with my spreadsheet where I had both on the battlefield and looked at my turn to make sure I said I cast them both. If you want to rewind if that makes a difference and you didn't want to attack, that's fine with me.
No, no. I did the exact same thing forgetting to display the Lightning Strike in my graveyard. It happens. I was dead either way and the only difference not seeing two of the Siphoner made was not realizing just how likely it was that I was dead. I might have been able to turn it around if the cards exiled by Bomat Courier had included a burn spell, but it's an extremely slim chance even then and it turned out that they were all duds.