Cereal and Magic

C

CAMDEX

How did they come up with naming decks Trix, and Fruity/Cocoa Pebbles?

C

Chaos Turtle

It's a cutsey little trend. It started with (I think) Fruity Pebbles, then someone made Wheaties... It just snowballed from there.
Some of the names are cute (Trix seems particularly appropriate) but in general I find it silly.

I imagine someone is destined to make a "Nut'n Honey" deck sometime soon...

A

Apollo

There was also "Full English Breakfast," cause it was much more complex and fulfilling than regular cereal.

T

terzarima

Originally posted by Apollo
There was also "Full English Breakfast," cause it was much more complex and fulfilling than regular cereal.
Don't forget, filled with fat :)

F

FoundationOfRancor

Tinker or Wildfire decks should be called "Lucky Charms"

A

Azreal the Soulmaster

I'm waiting for the frosted mini wheats deck.

T

theorgg

The nominer "lucky charms" has been taken for several years. Their names are: Throne of Bone, Iron Star, Chrystal Rod, Wooden Sphere, and... there's also the white and artifact one that I cannot remember.

They all are (1) cc artifacts with the text "(1): gain one life. Play this ability only when a (appropriate colour) spell is played, and only once for each spell."

Z

Zadok001

Full English Breakfast was called that because "It's full of fat, and far more interesting than just plain cereal." I played it for quite a while. :)

Lucky Charms has been claimed by a variety of decks, ranging from a Tinker varient to a mono-green beatdown deck with maindeck Emerald Charms from the days of Replenish.

The whole cereal thing started with Fruity Pebbles. MaRo told the team who invented the deck that they should call it "Trix," and that got them running on cereal. They decided on Fruity Pebbles, but Trix was later resurrected for the now-infamous Necro-Illusions deck. Since then, almost every cereal deck has had some logic behind its name.

Cocoa Pebbles was Pebbles with lots of Black for Necro.
Wheaties was Pebbles with "more to it." (A Survival/Utility deck featuring the Pebbles combo for the kill.)
Cheerios is a Foster/Ashnod's Alter/0 cc creature deck with more 0 cc spells than any other deck.
Etc...

The rule now holds that Extended combo decks get named after cereals. I'm looking for a cereal name for Carpe Noctem, but none of them seem to fit. :)

S

sageridder

Originally posted by theorgg
The nominer "lucky charms" has been taken for several years. Their names are: Throne of Bone, Iron Star, Chrystal Rod, Wooden Sphere, and... there's also the white and artifact one that I cannot remember.

They all are (1) cc artifacts with the text "(1): gain one life. Play this ability only when a (appropriate colour) spell is played, and only once for each spell."
The white one is ivory cup.Are you sure there was an artifact one?
The closest I could think of was soul net but that was life for creatures going to the graveyard.

E

Elrond

Yeah there was an artifact one, it was Urza's Miter or something like that.

TomB

Administrator
Staff member
Or Tablet of Epityr, which is like a Soul Net for artifacts. Both appeared in Antiquities only, so most people aren't very familiar with them.

I had a friend who played an Atog deck that was well stocked with lucky charms, but it really wasn't all that good back then, much less now, I'd imagine...:rolleyes:

T

Thallid Ice Cream Man

Darn!

While reading this thread, I thought of that too, but Chaos Turtle had already posted it.

Oh well... (ho hum)

D

Duel

*grins* ten points for Count Chocula....

I refer to my green stompy deck as "captain crunch" for obvious reasons, but people persist in calling it "stompy"

T

theorgg

But when you call it "Carpe Noctem" noone expects to be killed the fouth turn or before. If it's got a cereal name, they kinda expect it.

Anyway, I thought bargain was "count chocula..."

Mabe that was only a local pro's name for it.

mmmmmmmmmm.... Total.....

just total... J:{ )

T

Thallid Ice Cream Man

Let's start naming cereals that haven't been used yet.

Raisin Bran
Special K
Chex (Wheat, Rice, Corn, Honey Nut, etc.)
Mueslix (european)
Kashi (health-food store type cereal)
Reese's Peanut Butter Puffs
Frosted Mini-Wheats (as Azreal suggested)
Cinnamon Toast Crunch