Celestial Dawn

C

Crackdown

Just rummaging through some 6th edition cards and noticed Celestial Dawn. Has anyone played with this card?

Celestial Dawn
Color=White Type=Enchantment Cost=1WW MI(R1)/6(R1)
Text(6th+errata): Nonland cards you own that aren't in play are white. Nonland permanents you control are white. Lands you control are plains. Colored mana symbols on all those cards and permanents are {W}. [Oracle 99/06/30]

It would appear that this could accelerate white mana production (with Dark Ritual) or be donated to an opponent for some casual disruption.

Lots of rulings on it and so little play?

I

Istanbul

Actually, the best use I can think of for it is a 5CW deck. Especially when used with Jasmine Seer.

"I'll cast Prosperity for 12...oh, look! THERE'S my Spellbook. Now, I'll activate Jasmine Seer and gain...26. Every turn. Go ahead, attack me!"

C

Crackdown

I was thinking of its ability to use white mana for traditional blue spells -- you know, counterspells, stealing stuff . . . couple it with perhaps Green's mana acceleration and protect it.

Life gain's ok, but giving white or green access to blue's arsenal without running two or more mana colors sounded kind of fun.

Maybe it isn't practical. Then again, that sounds like a challenge.

D

Duel

Celestial dawn has some nice implications. It allows you to splash in however much of whatever the color is that you want. plus, donate w/ grindstone.
My brother plays a white/blue deck with celestial dawn in it, and it makes him very powerful indeed. Now he never gets manascrewed in 1 color. I never thought of it as combo-ish, but maybe...

G

Gumby Khan

Here's an idea my buddy was tooling around with. Play a normal Contamination deck with Nether spirit, Phyrexian processor, etc, with a white sideboard against black decks. What?! Sounded crazy to me, too. He just smiled and said, "Celestial Dawn". I tilted my head and began to ponder...hmmm. Play enlightened tutor to grab your celestial dawn. Drop that down and next turn, play contamination. Now all lands, when tapped for mana, produce (W)! "Holy cow, that's evil!"

Celestial Contamination

4 Nether Spirit
4 Carrion Beetles

4 Contamination
4 Vampiric Tutor
4 Snuff out
4 Dark ritual
4 Vendetta

4 Phyrexian Processor
4 Metrognome

4 Spawning Pool
20 Swamp

SB
4 Enlightened Tutor
4 Celestial Dawn
7 Plains

Nothing like a good mana hose to really piss people off!

D

Dune Echo

It's not practical at all, but you're right, it would be fun. Here's an Unglued deck you should look at:

“Celestial Monsert”
Colors: White/Black/Green
Created by:
Description/Theme: Get B.F.M. into play
Source: Scrye #

White:
3 Celestial Dawn
4 Exile
4 Knight of the Hokey Pokey

Black:
2 B.F.M. (left)
2 B.F.M. (right)

Green:
3 Eladamri’s Vineyard
4 Elvish Impersonators
4 Priest of Titania
4 Skyshroud Troopers

Artifacts:
4 Blacker Lotus
2 Thran Dynamo

Lands:
13 Forest
9 Plains

C

Chaos Turtle

Celestial Dawn
Academy Rector
High Market or Phyrexian Tower.
whatever else you want to play.
Go to town, boys (and girls?).
I expect to see a playable deck right here within 2 days.

D

Duel

Celestial dawn has the potential to break story circle. Throw a couple circles in the deck.