Casualties of War: Storyline

TomB

Administrator
Staff member
Okay, this is what Chaos Turtle and I have come up with so far. Please keep in mind that this is a very rough outline, and that we'd like to write it up as a story later, once the set gets finalized and things settle down a bit.

Let's start with a general background on the various races in our little section of Dominaria. The first group is the Dwarvish race, the Durdan. They are typical dwarvish types, (ie. cantankerous, taciturn, rowdy, somewhat xenophobic) who have for years fought with each other in clannish disputes in their stronghold, a mining city named Forom D'Urdan. This incessant internecine warfare has caused one clan to exile themselves to a nearby mountain range, where they've set up another stronghold, Forom D'Arr.

This group chose to establish ties with the outside world, and they are the focal point for the story.

The next group are the Frizan. They rule in the port city of Rizan, and are clearly the most powerful mages around. They are also merchants, and they control all the trade through the port. Lately they've been using their wealth to fund the constant border wars with the Mandari and the Bhodivans by hiring Malfurgan Mercenaries.

Their ultimate goal is to rule the entire region.

The Malfurgan are a race of soldiers, necromancers, and demon worshippers. Their homeland is a dark, swampy place several miles to the south of Rizan, but their dark gods have placed such a high demand on them to spill blood (especially the blood of innocents) that they are constantly hiring themselves out as Mercs. They have a deep and abiding hatred for all the other races, but especially for the Mandari. They'll go miles out of their way to appease their gods and slay Mandari, and by allying themselves with the Frizans they get to do that a lot.

The Mandari are a peaceful, high plains-dwelling folk, who've found themselves the object of this oppression. The Frizan's expansion of their borders eastward has put them at odds with the Mandari, and the Mandari have reacted by forting up, and training their warrior caste in the use of swords, and armor. They've done surprisingly well in this training, and are holding their own in this border war. They are also allied with the Bhodivans, with whom they trade extensively.

The Bhodivans are an elvish race, but they aren't very typical of elves. They've built large cities in the forest, for one thing, and they've centers of higher learning. They're very intelligent - enlightened, actually - and they have a very co-operative society. They like nothing better than to spend their days perched in their treetop domiciles reading books.

They can, however, fight like demons when pressed, and the forest itself will fight to defend them.

Hmmm. It's late, and I've got to get to bed. I'll take this up again tomorrow, and get into the plotline then.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Go to bed? It's only 9 in the morning (to me). Are you on the West Coast or other side of the world? :D

K

krichaiushii

With which group has Forom D'arr formed an alliance with? Or are they neutral or a third party?

If Forom D'arr has taken sides, have the rest of the dwarves sided with the new enemies of Forom D'arr? (The enemy of my enemy is my friend, and all that).

I see your layout for the color scheme, but who are the artificers? The craftsmen dwarves, the trading Frizan, the industrious Mandari, or the enlighted Bhodivans? I don't think a race such as the Malfurgan would build much beyond weapons of war, and maybe target creature damage.

I haven't read all of the cards, but am curious if there is to be a central group the stories revolve around, or if the story is just a handful of powerful individuals and how thier actions affect their societies and the other powerful individuals and societies.

Just a few thoughts. Looks good so far.

[I'm fairly certain you meant 'enemy of my enemy,' not 'friend of my enemy' when you wrote that, so I changed it. Hope ya' don't mind, feel free to change it back if I screwed up. :) --Zadok001]

TomB

Administrator
Staff member
No Spiderman, I'm not on the West coast, or on the other side of the world (though a case could be made for something extraterrestrial ;)). I'm actually in Brookfield, a suburb of Chicago, and I'm working a 2nd/3rd split shift at work right now. I guess it would have been more accurate to have said in my post that I hadn't been to bed YET, but I was pretty tired so that's how it came out.

Anyhow, the Plotline. Again, I emphasize that this is very rough, and that many of the details (like names, places, etc.) will need to be added as circumstances allow. Your input will, of course, be welcome, and I'm sure we'll be able to find roles for all the CPA Legends in here as the leaders of their prospective groups (we may have a little trouble with the Red human mages, but they can be placed with other groups as hirelings).

As I said in my first post on this, the Durdan of Forom D'Arr have chosen to open up relations with the outside world. I'm thinking that the Durdan are weaponsmiths, and that they're having a little trouble making ends meet, so they chose an emissary from among their leaders (note: Need Durdan Emissary card CT ;)) and send him to check out the market.

Hearing about the ongoing conflict, he heads for the port city of Rizan to try and consummate an arms deal. The Frizan, who had no idea dwarves still existed (prior to this there had been NO contact with the outside world for more years than the dwarves could remember), were shocked by the appearance of the dwarf, but they recover and offer him their hospitality.

He enters negotiations with the Frizan, who, while they're interested in the weapons, are starting to run a little low on funds themselves. The war hasn't been going well, and the Malfurgan's aid doesn't come cheap. Still, the Frizan counselor who's conducting the negotiation is facinated by the dwarf, and he engages him in conversation about the history of the race, which, once he's plied with enough mead to float a small ship, the Durdish emissary is only too happy to provide.

A battle comes up a few days later, and the Frizan counselor, who is also a field general, asks his new friend, the dwarf, to come along for the show. He accepts, and finds himself very impressed with the Malfurgans and their bloodthirsty ways. The battle was an easy victory for the Frizan/Malfurgan force, and afterward the dwarf, the Frizan counselor, and the Mercenary leader get a chance to meet. The Durdish emissary is again, impressed (and more than a little intimidated) by the towering Merc leader.

The Merc leader, on the other hand, isn't so impressed. After they get the dwarf drunk again, and he passes out, (okay, so he can't handle his mead all that well) the Frizan counselor who's been conducting the negotiations talks it over with the Merc leader, who suggests seizing the dwarvish homeland by force, and enslaving it's peoples. And since the dwarvish city of Forom D'Arr is so much smaller than their ancestral homeland of Forom D'Urdan (and not divided by infighting), he suggests going after the latter.

The Frizan agrees (the dwarf is a new friend, after all, and he can't handle his liquor!), and he decides to try and keep the dwarf occupied while the Merc leader goes off to organize the attack. Several days later the dwarf hears about the plan from a friend inside the city, or perhaps he just overhears the conversation between the Merc leader and the Frizan - maybe he CAN handle his mead after all - but either way he flees the city in search of help.

See, even though they are estranged from their cousins in Forom D'Urdan, the dwarves of Forom D'Arr do not hate their kin (remember, they left to avoid killing them). Rather, they sought to preserve them by absenting themselves. So he races to Forom D'Arr to try and rally his brethren to the defense of their ancestral home...

Where he is met by their disbelieving laughter.

The dwarves believe their kin are perfectly capable of taking care of themselves, and refuse to believe in the tales the Emissary brings about the Malfurgans, and the way they make war. And they're mad at him for telling the Frizans about Forom D'Urdan in the first place, and blowing potential sales. Confused, angry, and forsaken, the Emissary has nowhere else to turn for help.

Until he remembers the Mandari, and the Bhodivans (This is where the "enemy of my enemy is my friend" thing comes in ;)).

He seeks the elves first, as they're geographically closer, but he doesn't get very far with them. They see the need, but for all their enlightenment they still would rather not leave their forest to do their fighting. Plus, we're talking about elves and dwarves here, and there's never been a whole lot of cooperation between the two races. They direct him to the Mandari, and say they'll talk about it while he's gone.

Time is starting to run out. The Mandari aren't much for forcing battles, but they immediately see the advantages in allying themselves with the battle-hardened dwarves. They also bear a hatred for the Malfurgans almost as strong as the Malfurgan hatred for them, so they agree to help out and send a good portion of their army with the Emissary.

The Bhodivans, having seen the large force of Malfurgans and Frizans on their way to the mines, then the subsequent march of their Mandari allies to try and catch them, decide they too, must fight, but it takes them some time to get organized, so they come in a bit late to the battle. The dwarves of Forom D'Arr, realizing they're about to miss a big fight, decide to join up too (I told you they were rowdy), and they show up just in time to fight off a band of goblins that had ambushed the Mandari column in a mountain pass on the way to Forom D'Urdan.

The Battle for Forom D'Urdan begins while the Mandari are still a day's march away. The dwarves manage to close off the main entrance to the stronghold, but since it IS such an old place there are many smaller entrances. There are traps on those entrances, of course, and once inside the fighting is tough in the close quarters, but despite that the dwarves are hard-pressed when help arrives.

The Mandari immediately draw the undivided attention of the Malfurgans, who charge them in a maniacal rage, to the dismay of their Frizan allies. A savage battle ensues, and the Mandari are mostly slaughtered, while the dwarves inside the caves rout the Frizans. Then the Bhodivans hit the Malfurgan flank and it's pretty much over.

Wow. That's a lot of writing, huh? :eek:

The demise of the bulk of the Mandari opens the door for the Ereth in the expansion. We could even extrapolate from there that the Ereth are the souls of the Mandari dead, back from the grave to oppose the Malfurgans once more, but that's a story for another day.

Please, LMK what you think.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Understand your situation, TomB. I was thinking you were working night shifts or something but didn't actually believe ANYONE here did that (i.e. they worked/schooled during the day) ;).

As an observer, I really like the plot line although why is it that elves and dwarves never get along in ANY setting? I blame Tolkien for this... :)

A

arhar

.... on their way to destroy the puny dwarves, the Malfurgans stopped by the ancient pyramids to perform the darkest ritual and summon the ancient demon - Arhar, the Cyclopean Pharaoh, and get his help. Arhar was killed a long time ago in the uprising by his people who he so mercilessly oppressed.... the Mandari, but he swore in his dying breath that he wound gain revenge. After being summoned, the ancient undead warrior walks again and causes much havoc in the battle with dwarves and Mandari, putting fear in the hearts of the many, before finally getting killed in the battle with ____main good guy____ .....

Sounds neat huh?

TomB

Administrator
Staff member
We have some ideas about where we think some of the CPA legends should be cast (and some choices are obvious), but we're hoping that everyone will want some input into where their "character" comes in. This is OUR story, after all.

BTW, a few revisions to the story are likely as we try to make it conform to more of the cards. A few things got overlooked in the "brief" synopsis I posted earlier in this thread, and we'll see what we can do to fill in the gaps.

More to come...:D