Casualties of War: spotlight

Discussion in 'Home Made Cards' started by Captain Caveman, Feb 1, 2001.

1. Captain Caveman New Member

Along time ago Chaos Turtle started a thread called Casualties of War. Its probably long forgotten but I
    thought I'd repost one of the cards from the set with a_possible_fix. This may or may not be any good, it just an
    idea.

Any cards you'd like to discuss please feel free to post it here.

Original card text:

Diabolic Compromise
    Rare
    Enchantment
    2BBB
    Skip your draw step.
    B, Pay 1 life: Draw a card. If you have 7 or more cards in your hand, counter this ability.
    He craves only one commodity, but he'll take what he can get.

We all liked the idea of having a fixed Yawgmoth's Bargain but with some way to discard you could draw your library
    (w/some gain life)so a lot of people felt is might be able to be broken.

Anyway, here's my idea.

Diabolic Compromise
    Rare
    Enchantment
    1UB
    1:Reveal the top card of your library to all players. You may put that card into your hand, if you do loose life equal
    to that cards converted mana cost.(X=0, land=0)

If a card were to be put into your graveyard from anywhere instead remove it from the game.

Comments?
    Flames?

Caveman
  2. Chaos Turtle Demiurgic CPA Member, Admin Assistant

This version is interesting.

I'm not sure it would ever get used though.

How about...

Diabolic Compromise
    2BU
    Enchantment

Skip your draw step.
    Pay 1 life: Draw a card. Then, discard a card unless you pay an additonal 1 life.

This gives mad card-selection for 1 life per card, or card-drawing for 2 life per card.

This keeps combos possible but not especially powerful.

Comments?

*(In fact, I've been waiting for someone to bring this up.)
  3. Spiderman CPA Man in Tights, Dopey Administrative Assistant

What IS going on with Casualties of War? Has it just been shelved for lack of time?
  4. Chaos Turtle Demiurgic CPA Member, Admin Assistant

I set it aside when it got to be way too much trouble (it was Finals time at school, followed by an unexpected move and a host of other distractions.

I also wanted to seperate out the "funny" cards for an Unglued-style humor set, wihle keeping the more serious/playable cards in the storylined version.

Another idea I'm considering is setting aside the Member Legend cards everyone made, in favor of planeswalker-type cards. I think there could be a lot more creativity with cards being designed not necessarily as Legendary, but powerful cards. Simple examples: "Almindhra's Blessing," "Wrath of Istanbul," or "Hymn to Chaos Turtle." Sound like fun?

Currently, I'm waiting to see what becomes of the Team-Made set, before I bring this one up again.
    Or, perhaps we could join the works, since the concept is much the same (a set designed by the CPA membership).

Any ideas/comments on this?
  5. Spiderman CPA Man in Tights, Dopey Administrative Assistant

Well, as you probably remember :), I didn't do too much (if anything) with Casualties of War because I'm terrible at figuring out if cards are balanced or whatever (and it's still true, which is why I don't really post in this forum). BUT, I'd say maybe someone can dig up the old Casualties of War thread or you can attach some file since we have that capability now and maybe let the Team-Made thread look it over and see what they say (making it clear that these were cards from the CPA about a year ago, not all from you ;)). Maybe they'll merge and maybe not.

The cards specific to the CPA sound like DUke's cards that he made a couple of months ago (I got a few!). Maybe someone can take some of those and also merge them in with your ideas(?)
  6. DÛke Memento Mori

...Chaos Turtle, if you like some "wackie" ideas, I have had plenty of them...they're in this forum somewhere, I believe, a thread called "Cards of the CPA". See it; there are too many cards to bringabout here. :)

As for the old Casualties of War set...whenever I have the time, I'll take a look at it...for both, reviving some old cards to be in the unnamed "Team Set", or even to emblaze the Team Set's maker's mind with ideas..

I, for one, have too many ideas already, but it is NEVER too much ideas. I have so many cards, and yes, there is never TOO much cards.

Casualities of War and the Team-Made Set could possibly make a wonderful collaberation.
  7. Captain Caveman New Member

Another attempt at a compromise.

Diabolic Compromise
    Rare
    Enchantment
    1UB

2: Put the top card of your library into your hand and lose one life.
    If you discard a card, sacrifice ~this~

8. Darth Dunk New Member

I AM NOT NECRO, DAMMIT! BBB
    Enchantment
    As I AM NOT NECRO, DAMMIT! comes into play, sacrifice it if you do not control Diabolic Compromise.
    Skip your draw step.
    Pay 1 life: Set the top card of your library aside. At the end of your turn put all cards set aside in this way into your hand.

Diabolic Compromise BBB
    Enchantment
    At the beginning of your upkeep, unless you control I AM NOT NECRO, DAMMIT! pay 5 life or sacrifice Diabolic Compromise.

Hey, I was just rambling.
  9. Diabolic Negotiation BBB
    Enchantment
    At the beginning of your upkeep, pay 5 life or sacrifice Diabolic Compromise.
    3BB: target player and you each take 5 cards from the top of yours libraries. Remove your opponents cards from the game and put the cards you took into your hand. Both players lose life equal to the number of cards draw. Each player may put a numbre of cards back on top of his/her library, but only if both players aprove.

eratta: The cards may not be revealed.