Casual Players Alliance

B

BigBlue

I have another suggestion... It's more a site suggestion...

Do we have the capability for Blogging? Player Blogs on their decks and experiences would be interesting... and not nearly as intimidating to people as writing an "Article".

I have several ideas for articles, like mythosx, I simply don't have the magic knowledge in terms of the current sets and/or environment to write a solid piece. I think we should collaborate on these articles - I would like to write one, then have discussion about it and a chance for revision prior to posting anything.

The community builds work great Shabbaman...

M

Modus Pwnens

Yes, I even consider myself being more of a competitive player than a casual one. I play at most mayor events in the Netherlands (Nationals, GPT's and am only skipping PTQ's because the block format is so silly), draft weekly with some very good players and even participate in Grand Prix' tournaments (yes, I will be going to Paris in October).

I've always like building so-called "sub-optimal" decks that are fun to play with and against. In addition I like to explore the more exotic formats here (such as the Singleton draft and the sports league), although I must admit Mindmaster has lost it's initial appeal on me due to the format being so dependent on the cards you get.

Shabbaman

insert avatar here
BigBlue said:
Do we have the capability for Blogging? Player Blogs on their decks and experiences would be interesting...
The answer is "yes". The vB-forum software has numerous plugins (like the rss-reader I mentioned some time ago), it only has to be installed. But why would a simple forum thread be insufficient for writing about your deck?

Spiderman said:
True, but what goes hand-in-hand with that is that a lot of us don't keep up with the latest sets to offer opinions.
Look at it the other way: even if you'd make an insignificant contribution, it's still a contribution. And the upside is that while contributing you might pick something up about magic ;) Really, if the active posters would just post in every deck thread, that subforum would attract a lot more attention.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Any changes to the vb software have to go through Ed I believe... I guess we can ask him about putting this stuff in so we have it, even if we don't use it :)

Shabbaman: I agree, but seriously, I can't even offer an insignificant contribution, at least concerning the Standard format. I can offer suggestions for other formats with cards I'm familiar with and have done so, but if I'm not current on cards, even reading about them from other suggestions doesn't really help me because since I don't know the card, I don't know how it fits in the deck and all.

I'm not saying your suggestion isn't going to work - perhaps some people *do* pick up on cards when other people offer help. I'm just saying I'm not one of them :)

Modus: I love your deck ideas so far, of what I've seen. I think your MP deck with the life-gain was great! Maybe you can post it so we can all see it? ;)

Shabbaman

insert avatar here
Spiderman said:
I agree, but seriously, I can't even offer an insignificant contribution, at least concerning the Standard format.
But then again, who plays standard, plus, "you know, that card reminds of me Old crap X that I always played together with Other crap Y" could in fact be very solid advice. The current cardpool might seem intimidating to you, yet don't underestimate the value of knowledge of old cards and their associated combo's.

Mooseman

Isengar Tussle
Maybe we could have a sealed deck tournament with the current stuff..... that would get everyone involved in playing with the new cards.
Then we could write about our card pools and picks for our decks... we someone with analysis ability could.

We could have a thread, like the HOF or HOS threads, but for the best one or two common cards from each set. Then I could cobble together an article from the tread(s)......

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Shabbaman: It's not intimidating, it's just that I'm more of a person who needs to keep using it to retain it. So since I don't use the cards regularly to build decks and play them, just coming across a new card isn't going to make it stick for me.

For instance, for our new tribal game coming up, I'm sure there's some tribes that have gotten boosts or new tribes that came out (like Scarecrows). But I just can't look through all of the cards on Gatherer/Apprentice to find the ones the best fit plus old cards that might be good. So I might find a tribe but stick with the old cards that I know. Same thing with our Singleton draft - I'm sure there were lots of cards that would have been useful in my deck. But though I did a quick search in Gatherer, I'm sure I didn't find a good majority of them...

Mooseman: That sounds good, maybe after one of the current tourneys wind down...

B

BigBlue

Apprentice is good for that too... I just realized when using it again (to build my tribal deck) that there are several search options... and it has all the "current' creature types, not the ones printed on the cards.

Gatherer gives you a fair amount of options - with the selection boxes... casting cost doesn't quite work as well as I'd like though...

One thing I've found impossible to find are gold cards in color... say I'm looking for UG cards, I haven't figured out a great way to get all of those cards - without others showing up in the list. Gatherer is nice though, since the summary lists the casting cost... so I can quickly scan them.

Also - looking for tribes without the PC tools is crazy, since they retyped so many creatures... for example, Kobold Drill Sargeant is not a Drill Sargeant, he's a Kobold, but they redid his text so his boost only goes to "Other kobolds"...

M

Modus Pwnens

I always use the advanced search function from starcitygames, it's really good :)