Casual/MP Barbarian Deck

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Threw this together 'cause I wanted to use Balthor the Stout. Turns out there's not a lot of barbarians :)

Creatures

2 Balduvain Barbarians
1 Balduvian Horde
2 Balduvian War-Makers
1 Balthor the Stout
1 Barbarian Bully
4 Barbarian Lunatic
1 Brass Herald
2 Halberdier
1 Kamahl, Pit Fighter
1 Pardic Arsonist
1 Pardic Lancer
1 Pitchstone Wall

Spells

1 Burning Wish
3 Crown of Fury
1 Detonate
1 Fellwar Stone
2 Fiery Temper
1 Fork
3 Lightning Bolt
2 Meltdown
1 Nevinyrral's Disk
2 Pyroclasm
1 Shattering Pulse
1 Sol Ring
1 Wheel of Fortune

Land

2 Balduvian Trading Post
1 Barbarian Ring
1 Bloodstained Mire
2 Forgotten Cave
1 Library of Alexandria
11 Mountain
1 Strip Mine
1 Temple of the False God
3 Wooded Foothills

Main troubles is Silver Knight, although the guy playing it had to use him for defense so I wasn't affected too much, and enchantments (of course). I'm thinking of adding Jokulhaups and maybe Caltrops, unless there's a better constant reusable artifact damage source.

No splashes yet, please.

T

train

Quicksands do a knight's body good...

I would run 1 more trading post actually...

You could always splash a hint of black for Ghostly flame... and engineered plague...

;)

Defiled, and Stout in the same game - that would be cool...:D

I'll think of more...

Maybe Wildfire Emissary...

Or Mountain Yeti...

Why the green?...

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Only have two Posts :)

I could try Quicksand. I was hoping for reusable colorless damage though :)

I'm saving Ghostly Flame for my soon-to-be R/B Varchild's War-Riders deck :)

I'm not too worried (yet) about my creatures being pro (and it doesn't really stay with the Barbarian theme). I just need a little more defense against them.

Just using the fetch lands to get mountains.

T

train

Got the idea on the fetch lands... but since your not running dual colors...

if you made the fetch-lands mountians, then when you would be drawing the fetch land, you'd be getting your mtn instead...

Just saves you the effort... unless you were looking for something like threashold...;)

do you need another post?...

D

DeathMaster666

If you want to deal with Silver Knights, how about Pyrite Spellbombs. I would suggest a splash of black, though. You can also get some good spot removal (Terror/Dark Banishing/Diabolic Edict).

C

Captain Caveman

Alright, ...a tribal deck :D

Here are a few more to consider.

Keldon Champion
Hell-Bent Raider
Jeska, Warrior Adept

Like DeathMaster666 said, Spellbombs might help out with those
pesky Knights.

Gotta love those Tribe deck.
:)

B

BigBlue

How can you run a red tribal deck without Trumpet Blast - Instant +2/+0 to all your attackers...

Silver Knight... Hmm. Quicksand is only good if it attacks... I'd enlist the help of something to force them to attack, then horde 'em. Total War is one way, but it just says if one creature attacks they all have to...

I'm going home, let me think about it some more...

K

Killerbob

The obvious reusable artifact damage source would be cursed scroll, but I know what the problem with that is.
Other less powerfull artifacts could be aeolipile or purging scythe (only for loonys!).
If you dont like black splash, Thran Lens makes the knights blockable

I think an interresting way to go with barbarians, might be to splash black. Some barbarians use self-discard. Maybe it cloud be possible to make something out of this with black. Or maybe with some madness cards.

But it is extremely annoying, that most of the cool barbarians cost 4 mana (balduvian horde,jeska,keldon champion,pardic arsonist,spellgorger barbarian). The cheap playable barbarians need splash. Undead gladiator is very cool, but costs 2 black!
And their leader is a dwarf...

Wizards doesnt get The Nobel Prize for this one...

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Don't have much Mirrodin except what I got at the prerelease, so I'll keep the Spellbombs in mind.

Like I said, trying not to splash for now - trying to get another R/B deck together.

I'm working on getting a Jeska, will keep the others in mind.

I'll check to see if I have Trumpet Blasts.

I don't want to force the guy to attack - it is mostly casual MP and that might provoke him. I just want a deterrent to keep him from attacking me.

I'll check about Thrans Lens. I usually get enough mana to cast the guys but the self random! discard sucks, that's why Pitchstone Wall and the two Madness cards are in there. I probably could use some more but then, when I had them out, I didn't really use it (of course, I wasn't really picked on). I'll have to play some more to see.

Yeah, Purging Scythe is probably out. With the Barbarian's low toughness, they'll probably get killed first (the Silver Knight player usually puts out a Crusade too).

T

train

If this is the same group you all don't play color hosers in then nevermind this...

if not...

Anarchy...

"It's the breakfast of Barbarians...";)

T

Troll

Wasn't there a rare Barabarian in OD with capabilities to get pro-white? I can't think of it's name but I think it had 3 names. I believe it was a 2/2 with 1st strike and you could discard a card and it got pro-white. I appoligize if I am way off. :D

S

Striking Dragon

Shivan Zombie:
RB
Creature - Barbarian Zombie
Protection from white
2/2

B

BigBlue

In my group it's supposedly no color hosers either... I really hate seeing CoP: Red or Black in "Earthquake" or "Pestilence" decks... because more often than not I'm playing the color they've got the COP for...

And they allllllll throw a fit when I play Wash Out saying it's a color hoser... I don't get it... It isn't anti one color... :D All they have to do is play Blue to keep me from using it (not that it would stop me...) I don't even play with the Nasty little Warped Devotion when I make them pick up their hordes...

Striking... I have to agree that the new cardfaces blow... however I caved and bought some Mirridin... In black border it isn't as bad... I still despise the change of artifacts to a silver - almost white - border and the mana colors in B & W in the text box.

But, I see that the artwork isn't behind those stupid little text bubbles as I'd initially seen/imagined. The foils actually look better too - although without the Wizards Star... The pictures seem to include highlighting now as well as the border.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Well, the Zombie is probably out for now since it requires black. But thanks.

I played the Urza's Saga Pestilence pre-con a couple of weeks ago at my group just to have a "new" deck to play. Despite the RoB? in it, my group didn't seem to mind (I guess because they saw the Pestilence).

It's more "active" color hosers that are frowned on, like Anarchy or Lifeforce (I assume) or Perish or stuff like that...

K

Killerbob

Wasn't there a rare Barabarian in OD with capabilities to get pro-white? I can't think of it's name but I think it had 3 names. I believe it was a 2/2 with 1st strike and you could discard a card and it got pro-white. I appoligize if I am way off.
He´s called Hell-Bend Raider, and is ok. He´s rare, but should be possible to trade cheap.