Casual format?

T

train

I don't like blue period...

but if I have to be around the cards at a table - it's cool as long as there is no blue mana producing going on...

If it was using sneak attack - I'd fling a polar kraken at someone!...

But sneak and fling are the kill cards - not the kraken...;)

I do understand blue's strength, and could break it many a ways... but it's not right to ruin the game for those that like to have fun... including me...;)

N

Nightstalkers

Originally posted by train
I don't like blue period...

but if I have to be around the cards at a table - it's cool as long as there is no blue mana producing going on...
Two words:

Mycosynth Lattice

:D

Nightstalker Habuki

T

train

It would be bad...

But I think the lattice is just WotC's way of allowing blue to use the strength of every other card in Magic's existence...

I tell you...

It's a conspiracy...:rolleyes:

R

Rooser

Some friends of mine joke that sixth edition islands are banned because they have two islands in the picture, and thus produce two blue mana.

I've also joked that they could restrict island in type 1 because no self-respecting blue deck would play with basic islands anyway :D.

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
I'd imagine some would, if they wanted to...

They do have some advantages over dual lands, etc., however minor those might be...

What might be more fun though...

Restrict mountain!

T

train

Now see... I'd have no problem with restricting Mountain... Because you can still play all the other red producing lands out there...

But all blue producing anythings need to be banned...

Killer Joe

'Casual Format' is just a generic term used by those of us who live with the idea that magic is fun and "casual" but have a need to be recognized by tourney players that we're legitamate magic players, too.

Maybe.

A more correct and specific could be "Multi-Player Format" or "Three-Headed-Giant Format". I guess those could be lumped into the same category. Maybe an umbrella generic term could be; "Universal Format"

eh,...maybe not. :rolleyes:

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Well, apparently Oversoul is using the phrase "Casual Format" as one with no banned/restricted list - anything goes; an actual format, whereas "casual playing" to me means adhering to the lists, just not playing in a tourney setting - playing wacky decks usually, that wouldn't make it in a tourney.

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
Originally posted by Spiderman
Well, apparently Oversoul is using the phrase "Casual Format" as one with no banned/restricted list - anything goes; an actual format, whereas "casual playing" to me means adhering to the lists, just not playing in a tourney setting - playing wacky decks usually, that wouldn't make it in a tourney.
I see...

Like my multiplayer-fun deck with its near-constant reset buttons or the time my playgroup did highlander for a while...

Well, my discard deck has 3 too many jars for a Type I legal deck, a guy I know has 4 Time Spirals powering his Mind's Desire deck, another whose artifact deck benefits from mutiple Sol Rings, Mana Vaults, Grim Monoliths and Voltaic Keys and whose ProsBloom deck is accelerated greatly by means of 4 Fastbonds. My multiplayer High Tide deck uses too many Braingeysers, I suppose. Yes, a decklist with 20 moxes would be difficult to play against, but almost everyone I play against has zero total...

The idea isn't chaos, but that we don't want to always be bound to not use cards simply because they're on some list, which is not intended to be for universal play, but for Type I tournaments. Most of my decks would get mutilated in Type I tournaments (with a few exceptions, possibly) anyway. A good example was the "Communist Manifesto" decklist I posted in the deck forum, which uses 3 copies of Balance. Balance is restricted, as was pointed out to me, but it's also a very useful card in a deck that could never hope to compete in a serious Type I tournament anyway. So why would I remove the Balances?

Even when I play against strangers they don't have any qualms about my use of banned cards and may or may not use them in their own decks. Of course, playing Type I in a casual manner might be an interesting change and would be more practical preparation for tournament play, obviously, but I simply don't have the cards for it. If I did, that would be a different story...

Okay, to be honest, at my school I have had some people complain about my decks, mostly in jest though. But those were as much about my Forbidian deck as my Academy deck, and none of them were for the aforementioned Communist Manifesto with its Balances. Really, they were not about decks that use banned cards, or even decks that win consistently, but about decks that win consistently and take a lot of time to do it (via combos or lockdowns).

If casual playing to you means adhering to the lists, then you hold your opponents to the same? Which list do you adhere to? Type I, Type 1.5, Type 1.x, Type II? I suppose it could definitely be a good thing to use one: it would stop people from being able to use 20 mox decks if they could have to begin with. It seems to me that it would have two disadvantages. It would limit some of the "wacky" decks you could build. And if you play against someone outside your playgroup, and they're using a different list, what do you do? It just seems a little (no pun intended) restrictive, but maybe that's the idea...

Anyway, why is my name bold?

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
I always type other user's names in bold. Makes it stand out.

Hey, it's fine when you play against the people with the same understanding. But like I said in whatever thread in Decks, if you're playing a stranger, it's just good manners to come to a consensus to what kind of decks you'll be playing. Since pretty much everyone adheres to tourney rules as a baseline (that's why they were established in the first place - to have a common set of rules so everyone knows what to expect), since you're the one (it appears) to be playing with the "broken" cards, you're the one that has the higher power. It doesn't matter if its Moxes or what.

If you're just playing with multiples of one of the Restricted, it's probably not going to swing the game too much, but it comes down to you're the one "breaking" the expectation to begin with.

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
Maybe it's more of a region thing, I don't know. I've never run into people who held others to banned/restricted list except I guess not using Unglued cards unless it's okayed (which makes sense, I think, because it's a different sort of game if there are Unglued cards, and you don't want to be left out, playing boring old non-Unglued against Unglued cards). I mean, many people I know have had there banning of a certain card in their own little playgroup (like not using a certain card in multiplayer or something).

Anyway, I would definitely not see myself as breaking an expectation by using multiple copies of restricted cards in a casual game, unless of course I had agreed to some sort of adjusted format beforehand. It would be breaking expectations only so much as my saying that someone using even one of those cards is breaking expectations because they're banned in Type 1.5 or 1.x or whatever. The only expectation is the one in the mind of the person who believes everyone follows the same list. In fact, not one person I know uses the Type I restricted list as a standard in any casual games. I'm not saying it would be stupid to do it, but as I've said before (well, not word-for-word), I just think attempting to hold others to a list of tournament restricted cards for casual games (unless they're Type I casual games or something along those lines, of course) seems, well, uncasual. It's really not something that sounds like a fun way to play at all...

Speaking of playing with multiples of one (and only one) of the restricted cards...

I have heard of people doing this and running tournaments in that format (although I think there were certain cards they couldn't "unrestrict" for their decks). It actually sounds interesting...

A

Al0ysiusHWWW

Originally posted by Spiderman
I always type other user's names in bold. Makes it stand out.

Hey, it's fine when you play against the people with the same understanding. But like I said in whatever thread in Decks, if you're playing a stranger, it's just good manners to come to a consensus to what kind of decks you'll be playing. Since pretty much everyone adheres to tourney rules as a baseline (that's why they were established in the first place - to have a common set of rules so everyone knows what to expect), since you're the one (it appears) to be playing with the "broken" cards, you're the one that has the higher power. It doesn't matter if its Moxes or what.

If you're just playing with multiples of one of the Restricted, it's probably not going to swing the game too much, but it comes down to you're the one "breaking" the expectation to begin with.
I play with broken cards. I think I know what the problem is here/ You're just jealous. No but seriously. I may use cards that others consider broken and what not, but it isn't like I am just using every broken thing I get my hands on. In fact a big issue of mine is using cards past prophecy in any of my decks. It is kind of funny, because some of the new cards almost dictate I use broken cards to actually compete. I mean storm? last time I checked if you counter a spell you counter the whole thing, little abilities don't keep going through, but apparently times change. Oh and the thing about not being able to respond to a creature unmorphing, their reasoning behind that is it would really suck if you paid like 6 mana to flip it over and they swated it or something and you wasted your mana. Yeah that does suck, almost as much as playing spells for 6 mana and having it countered. It is expensive to play with broken cards and not everyone can find and get them and what not, but it is really expensive to keep up with the new cards too, and seeing how most cards are poorly distributed when they first come out, they too are hard to find. So I understand the need to make qualifiers in this forum. I mean making suggestions towards me to put in new cards is kind of annoying and unnecessary, but the thing is you can't let that get to you. Because making all these labels and what not is kind of accessive and annoying too, so my suggestion is just let people ask for suggestions and let people make suggestions and if they don't like the suggestions they can turn them down or ignore them or whatever. So basically just let it naturally happen for convience's sake, since apparently me and twiggy, I mean Oversoul, are the only ones here that play broken cards so making everybody state their format is kind of wasteful.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Maybe I am jealous. I mean, the most powerful "broken card" I have is the Library of Alexandria and I only have one of them. Same with the Wheel of Fortune and I still don't have a full collection of dual lands (not broken as such, but one of the more powerful cards that pretty much can go in any deck). I certainly don't have the P9. Lots of Regrowths though, and Copy Artifact.

Is Storm really a problem for you? The only one I've heard that's made a splash is that blue millstone one. And you've got to be kidding about Morph being a problem... :) I mean, you've said "past Prophecy" so you must be used to Tempest, but Buyback and Shadow gives my group fits. I mean, I cast Shattering Pulse just this past weekend, had it "countered on resolution" because the target became invalid, and STILL got attacked by another player because I used a buyback spell :rolleyes:

I agree about making suggestions but since you guys just kinda jumped in here,
I mean Oversoul, are the only ones here that play broken cards
, no one really knew what format you were playing until several repetitions of you guys repeating it. It wasn't clear from the start.

And 13NoVa does play with "broken" cards although he sticks to the Lists because of tourney play.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
My friend has a Mox Ruby and Gauntlet of Might. Turns out his brother-in-law had another Mox Ruby in better shape and gave it to him because the bil no longer plays Magic, so my friend sold the first Ruby and got an Emerald...

Still isn't playing with them though...

T

train

It was great fun watching Alpha power nine cards shuffle in Hatter's deck...

Mad some people at tourney's almost sick...:D

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
I don't know what he means, saying that he and I are the only ones playing broken cards. I think on another post made around the same time as this one, I pointed out that Al0ysius needed sleep or something, because he wasn't making sense. I should have reserved that comment for his post on this thread...

Anyway, I don't think you're jealous of my broken cards at any rate. I don't have any Dual Lands or a Library of Alexandria. I've got some Tolarian Academies and Thawing Glaciers though, and ooh, I've got a Ring of Ma'Ruf.

On the issue of what format I'm playing, I didn't think it needed stating. I still don't...

Anyway, kind of funny about the buyback thing there. I almost never see any non Forbid/Capsize buyback cards being used in any decks, despite the fact that I've always thought they were cool. The only one who targets opponents using Morph that I can think of is me, because I hate Morph a lot. Not sure about Storm, except that it's a really stupid idea and that Mind's Desire is broken, or relatively so...