Casual format?

M

mythosx

alright.... i want to get a concensus here. what about unglued and portal? I personally think portal has a place in T1 albeit you dont want to use it cuz its so dang weak. But what about unglued? I dont like it cuz of several dextirety and next game cards. I dont like the idea of going across teh street to buy a drink for some one just cuz my opponent plays a card that says so. what you all think? Unglued? Portal?

HORSEMANSHIP RULES!

T

train

Dexterity rules are what keeps unglued from formats... - it's politically correct, Magic is - except for blue...

I think Unglued should be allowed in Free-Fall tourneys - yes a new format, that includes everything - but is sanctioned...

that's different from "open" where any deck of any (formal)format is allowed...

but if free-fall became a reality - it would then be allowed in open tourneys

Killer Joe

I'm Freeeeeeeeeeeeeee,
Freeee Fallin'

Would this format still have the "four of a kind" rule?

Hey Mythosx! Ever heard of the Pink Poodle?

T

train

As a sanctioned tourney it would be 4 of a kind as a rule...

But all portal, starter, and unglued cards would also be allowed - as well as any promo cards anyone dared play with - shuriken dragon(good luck), etc...

M

mythosx

pink poodle? as in relates to magic? or in general....

cuz there is a strip joint called the pink poodle in my city. The owner was charged with murder two years ago.

And then of course some one at my church used to own or had a friend who owned a pink poodle laundrymat. so Im not sure which of these you are refering to.

N

Nightstalkers

What is the casual format exactly? Isn't it just a game of magic involving other players whom you (hopefully) know and just play? Come on, you can use whatever rules you agree upon, and whatever cards the group agrees upon.

Nightstalker Habuki

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
Originally posted by Nightstalkers
What is the casual format exactly? Isn't it just a game of magic involving other players whom you (hopefully) know and just play? Come on, you can use whatever rules you agree upon, and whatever cards the group agrees upon.
Yeah, that sounds right to me. But usually if you're playing in a format with unusual rules (highlander, two-headed giant, emperor, etc.) then there's another name attached to it (like highlander, two headed giant, emperor, etc.) as well. I think of ordinary casual play as still in keeping with the ordinary rules of the game, but not with any special rules from tournaments.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Portal has some strange "non-Magic" terms, doesn't it? Since it was used to introduce new people into the game... cards from it shouldn't be allowed.

Unglued either, but only because I think the expectation when making it was that it wouldn't be allowed so Mark and co. went "crazy" and wacky with ideas. But there could be a new format with them allowed, that's fine with me :)

T

train

I was specifically talking about a new sanctioned format allowing portal, unglued and such... of course this means people playing it would have to be familiar with terms, interactions, and maybe even strategies involving those sets...

Anywho... speaking about this sanctioned format actually took me off-topic for this thread's title...

"But it would be a casual sanctioned format...":p

O

orgg

Spidy-- what you're thinking of is the term 'intercept' instead of 'block' in Portal One. It was the exact same thing, just a more 'descriptive' term used.

Other than that, and making the 'play after you are attacked' sorceries into Instants, Portal is just fine the way it is, and could be integrated into Magic. WOTC already has put in Oracle wordings of the cards up on magicthegathering.com.

As for the 'format' idea... I feel that you should use your gut and what card the deck needs... My first real article was on that subject...

Have the theme for your deck, and follow that theme with the cards that help it out. Yea, it might not be perfect, but usually it won't be broken.

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
Wouldn't perfect be broken? Anyway, what do you mean by theme? I think I get you, but so many people use the word to mean so many different things...

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
orgg: I guess it would depend on how many people would get confused by the transition from "intercept" to "block". I don't know numbers, but I'm guessing either a lot had trouble (with "intercept" or the whole transition period) or it just wasn't selling well, which is why Portal was discontinued.

Oversoul: From a winning gamepoint, "perfect" might equal "broken" in that you win on turn 1 and go first, but from a gaming perspective, "perfect" would be playing a good game with many turns (though of course still winning).

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Who said anything about lockdown? I don't know about you, but I've had many "perfect" games playing creature-based decks (and others...)

M

mythosx

Hey ain't nothing wrong with winning on turn one. It's not broken. **** happens. If you play mah jong same thing can occur. People do win on turn one. And everyone is using the same tiles! It your fault that you aren't holding a force of will! ahahaha. Take that train!

T

train

If they're going to win first turn god draw- a Force isn't in hand... with another to pitch...

I'm then free to pitch an elvish spirit guide, and rust the artifact ability... (they're not winning without an artifact...) or pitch 2 and bind... for non-artifact abilities(sneak attack)

so nyah!

:p

:cool:

"Blue is not all-powerful - but it's close..."

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
Originally posted by Spiderman
Who said anything about lockdown? I don't know about you, but I've had many "perfect" games playing creature-based decks (and others...)
I was the one who mentioned lockdown, of course. You said perfect games were long ones that you win. Lockdown's pretty good at that...

I

Istanbul

Perfect games are long ones that you win because of superior playing skill that involve lots of interaction. Just "long ones that you win" is like playing basketball for an hour against a 5-year-old child. Sure, you won, but what does it prove? An hour-long game against someone at a similar skill level to you that you win because you're just a little better at the game, that's fun.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
That's what I meant or was thinking of when I wrote "long games". I meant ones with interaction... lockdown (of which control is part of) can be that, as it can be "fun" to come back from <5 life to win the game after being beatdown, but so is a good 'ol creature war.