Casual Dream Card Set Project

N

Notepad

After reading Rosewater's latest article (Design 102, http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=mtgcom/daily/mr132 ) I was thinking of making an unofficial set. A dream card set can't be submitted to WotC for legal reasons, so why not just make an unofficial set? (like Tycho Blocks copy Legos).

I'm working on starting up a dream card set, but it uses four new colors: Yellow, Orange, Purple and Gray. These interlock and interact with the official five colors, but will be standalone for purposes of the set, as well. I'll use this thread to track the progress of the project as it goes along.

So far the basic concepts of the colors are thus:

ORANGE (O) Crag
Death/Destruction/Evil: Black/Red

YELLOW (Y) Jungle
Purity/Creation/Life/Nature: Green/Blue/White

PURPLE (P) Desert
Mind/Trickery/Control: Black/Blue/White

GRAY (R) Town
Religion/War/Civilization: White/Red

The color has its abbreviation with it for mana symbol uses. After that is the basic land it would use. Below each color entry is the characteristics of each color, and after that the aspects of colors it would take over.

In addition, since this is just a ripoff of Magic, I decided to ripoff Final Fantasy's element system to a degree. Spells that would have a type will have a type. Much like creatures.

So, lightning bolt's type line would read "Instant--Lightning" while Fireball's type would read "Sorcery--Fire."

Any ideas, comments, or whatnot so far to help me start this thing?

N

Notepad

A few cards, taken from my "Dream Card Set" articles and altered to fit the new theme. This is in no way a complete set, but rather the starting skeleton.

As you can see from a couple cards in the set, the alternate lose condition of poison counters (called poison tokens, which makes much more sense) will play a significant role in this game. Only three cards here deal with poison tokens. But there will be plenty more.

============
~~~E-GREY~~~
============

Alley Phantom
1E
Creature--Human Spirit
Shadow, townwalk
1/1

Alabel Fortress
2EE
Creature--Wall
Protection from Orange
W: Alabel Fortress gains shadow until end of turn.
2/5

Alabel Servant
1W
Creature--Human Townsfolk
Townwalk
Towncycling--3
1/2

Foothill Trooper
E
Creature--Human Soldier
Protection from Orcs, Cragwalk
1/1

Imprisonment
E
Enchant Creature
Fading--2
Enchanted creature cannot block, attack, or use activated abilities.

Lightherald Charger
EE
Creature--Unicorn Knight
Flanking, first strike
2/2

Merchant Caravan
E
Creature--Human Merchant
When Merchant Caravan comes into play, all players may gain three life.
Cycling--1W
When you cycle Merchant Caravan, all players may gain two life.
Madness--0
1/1

Peace Speaker
3E
Creature--Incarnation
If Peace Speaker is in your graveyard and you control any unicorns, all players skip their attack phase unless he or she pays 4 during his or her upkeep that turn.
1/4

Silverhorn Mystic
3EE
Creature--Unicorn Paladin
Trample
Whenever Silverhorn Mystic deals combat damage, you gain that much life.
3/3

Spiritual Rays
1E
Instant--Holy
Target blocking creature gets +3/+0 and is indestructible until end of turn.

Township Construction
E
Sorcery
Buyback--EEE
Search your library for a town. Reveal that card, and put it into your hand. Shuffle your library afterwards.

Warmonger's Rally
EEE
Instant
Buyback--E
Creatures you control get +1/+1 until end of turn.

Zealous Madman
EE
Creature--Rebel Cleric
EE: Zealous Madman gains protection from creatures until end of turn.
When Zealous madman deals combat damage to an opponent, put a +1/+1 counter on Zealous Madman.
1/1

============
~~P-PURPLE~~
============

Dehkan Trader
P
Creature--Orc Merchant
If any opponent puts any cards from his or her library into his or her graveyard, draw that many cards.
1/1

Eternal Blazewinds
P
Instant--Air
Tap target creature or land.
Buyback--PP

Extraplanar Experiment
2P
Creature--Shade Ship
Flying
AA: Extraplanar Experiment loses flying and gains shadow until end of
turn.
1/2

Hover
P
Instant--Air
Target creature gains flying until end of turn.
Buyback--2

Hunger for Power
P
Sorcery--Psi
Draw a card.
Buyback--Gain a poison token.

Imbalanced Gains
1P
Sorcery--Psi
Draw three cards. Gain two poison tokens.

============
~~A-ORANGE~~
============

Abominable Flagship
3AA
Creature--Shade Ship Legend
Flying
AAA: Abominable Flagship loses flying and gains shadow until end of turn.
4/4

Ambush Squad
1AA
Creature--Orc Soldier
You may pay Ambush Squad any time you could play an instant if you pay 1A more to play it.
First Strike
3/1

Blaster Discovery
A
Sorcery--Fire
Each player may draw a card. For each player that drew a card this way, Blaster Discovery deals two damage to him or her.
Cycling--1A

Carnage Walker
4AA
Creature--Nightstalker
Put a -1/-1 counter on Carnage Walker: Carnage Walker gains junglewalk until end of turn.
At the end of each opponent's turn, if that opponent controls five or more tapped jungles, remove a -1/-1 counter from Carnage Walker.
5/5

Cemetra Shade
3AAA
Creature--Shade
Protection from Grey, Protection from Dark
AAA: Cemetra Shade gets +1/+1 until end of turn.
5/5

Cemetra Falls
2AA
Legendary Enchantment
If a creature deals combat damage to you, its controller must sacrifice it unless he or she loses 3 life.
A: Until end of turn, if any opponent would lose life, you gain that much life and draw one card.

Cloudbiter
3A
Creature--Wurm
Cloudbiter can block creatures with flying.
1/5

Cloudkiller
3A
Creature--Wurm
Cloudkiller can block creatures with flying.
4/2

Crazed Kobold
A
Creature--Kobold Warrior
Crazed Kobold attacks each turn. If it does not, Crazed Kobold deals 2 damage to you.
Haste, provoke.
1/1

Dekhan Curse
AA
Enchant Creature--Dark
Enchanted creature can't block.
Pay 3 life: Creatures opponents control cannot block this turn. Play this ability only during your upkeep and only if Dekhan Curse is in your graveyard.

Dekhan Rider
3A
Creature--Orc Knight
Flanking, First Strike
2/2

Firepit Miner
Creature--Kobold
Accident-Prone Miner is Orange.
When Accident-Prone Miner comes into play, sacrifice a Crag or it deals 1 damage to you.
1/1

Flamespitter Hatchling
2A
Creature--Wurm
TAP: Flamespitter Hatchling deals 1 damage to target creature.
2/1

Great Corruptor
1AA
Creature--Hound Spirit
If any opponent controls a grey permanent, Great Corruptor gains first strike and attacking does not cause Great Corruptor to tap.
If any opponent controls a yellow permanent, Great Corruptor gains trample and provoke.
2/2

Kobold Demolisher
Creature--Kobold
Cycling--1A
Kobold Explorer is Orange.
When you cycle Kobold Demolisher, you may have Kobold Demolisher deal 2 damage to target creature and 1 damage to you.
0/1

Kobold War Master
AA
Creature--Kobold Lord
Cycling--1A
Kobolds you control get +1/+0.
When you cycle Kobold War Master, you may have all Kobolds in play get +1/+0 until end of turn.
1/1

Ravenous Werewolf
4A
Creature--Wolf Minion
Whenever Ravenous Werewolf would deal combat damage to a creature, gain control of that creature and it becomes a copy of Ravenous Werewolf.
2/4

Shadow-Weaver Adept
A
Creature--Nightstalker
AAA: Shadow-Weaver Adept gains shadow until end of turn.
1/1

Shadow-Weaver Fiend
2A
Creature--Nightstalker
AAA: Shadow-Weaver Fiend gains shadow until end of turn.
2/2

Stalk Down
2AA
Sorcery--Dark
Remove target non-orange creature from the game. Put a +1/+1 counter on
target Nightstalker, or you lose 2 life.

Union of the Crags
A
Enchantment
All kobolds and orcs in play, hands, graveyards and lirbaries are considered to be both kobolds and orcs.

Von Ti Mine
1RR
Enchant Land--Dark
Von Ti Mine can only enchant a land controlled by an opponent.
When enchanted land is tapped for mana, that land's controller chooses one--You put a 1/1 orange Kobold creature token into play; or sacrifice enchanted land.
If Von Ti Mine is put into a graveyard from play, return it to your hand.

============
~~Y-YELLOW~~
============

Call of Ursus
YY
Sorcery--Gaia
Kicker--YY
Buyback--YYY
Choose one--Put a 2/2 yellow Bear creature token into play, or search your library for any Bear card, reveal it, then put it in your hand and shuffle your library.
If you paid the kicker cost, put an additional 2/2 yellow Bear creature token into play.
Threshold 7--Put an additional 2/2 yellow Bear creature token into play.
Entwine--YY

Glimmerback
YY
Creature--Snake
Glimmerback cannot be the target of spells or abilities.
2/2

Hunting Ursan
1Y
Creature--Bear Druid
Threshold 1--Hunting Ursan gets -1/-1.
3/3

Jungle Mist
2YY
Creature--Spirit
Fading--2
Jungle Mist is indestructible.
6/2

Mountain Cub
1Y
Creature--Bear
If any opponent controls any crags, Mountain Cub gets +2/+2 and gains cragwalk.
YY, sacrifice Mountain Cub: Counter target orange creature.
1/1

Natural Cleansing
YY
Instant--Geo
Choose one--Destroy target enchantment; or destroy target artifact.
Entwine--Y

Predator to Prey
Shrink
Y
Instant
Kicker--A
Target creature gets -5/-0 until end of turn. If you paid the kicker cost, it instead gets -3/-3 until end of turn.

Renewing Sunrise
2Y
Sorcery--Gaia
As an additional cost to play Renewing Sunrise, sacrifice all lands you control.
Search your library for a number of basic lands equal to the number that you sacrificed, and put those lands into play, tapped. Then shuffle your library.

Shadowbane Mystic
1YY
Creature--Bear Druid
Protection from orange and dark.
Whenever an opponent plays an activated ability of an orange permanent, Shadowbane Mystic gets +2/+2 until end of turn.
2/2

Sporeflower Trellis
YY
Creature--Fungus Wall
Whenever a creature comes into play under your control, put a spore counter on Sporeflower Trellis.
Remove three spore counters from Sporeflower Trellis: Prevent all combat damage that would be dealt this turn.
0/3

Sporewalker Behemoth
YYYYYY
Creature--Fungus Giant Mutant
Trample
Whenever Sporewalker Behemoth deals combat damage to a player, put that many spore counters on it.
Remove three spore counters from Sporewalker Behemoth: Draw a card.
6/6

Terror of the Overgrowth
4YY
Creature--Bear Giant Mutant
Provoke
When Terror of the Overgrowth is blocked, it gets +4/+0 and gains trample until end of turn.
4/4

============
~~ARTIFACT~~
============

Bounty Collector
Artifact
Whenever any opponent taps an nonbasic land for mana, put a charge counter on
Bounty Collector.
TAP, remove any number of charge counters from Bounty Collector: Add X
colorless mana to your mana pool, where X is the number of charge
counters removed.

============
~~~D-GOLD~~~
============

Haunted Vessel
2AE
Creature--Spirit Ship
Flying
AE: Regenerate Haunted Vessel.
3/3

Precision Bomber
PEEA
Creature--Ship
Flying
TAP: Put a -1/-1 counter on target attacking creature.
3/3

Wretched Curse
1AP
Enchantment--Dark
Unicorns cost 3 more mana to play.
Whenever a unicorn is tapped, its controller loses two life.
Cycling--AP

============
~~~L-LAND~~~
============

Jungle
Basic Land--Jungle
Tap: Add Y to your mana pool.

Town
Basic Land--Town
Tap: Add E to your mana pool.

Crag
Basic Land--Crag
Tap: Add A to your mana pool.

Barren
Basic Land--Barren
Tap: Add P to your mana pool.

Border Meadow
Land--Jungle
Tap: Add YY to your mana pool.
At the beginning of each player's upkeep, if that player controls more creatures than any other player, he or she may untap Border Meadow and gain control of it.

Outland Oasis
Land--Barren
TAP: Add PP to your mana pool, and target opponent may draw a card.

Darksky Temple
Land--Crag
Darksky Temple comes into play tapped.
TAP, discard your hand: Add AA to your mana pool.

Sunflat Praerie
Land--Town
Tap: Add E to your mana pool and target opponent gains one life.
Tap: Target grey creature gets +1/+1 until end of turn.

Throne of Nightmares
Land--Castle
Tap, gain a poison token: Add one mana of any color to your mana pool.

N

Nightstalkers

I think you should print the cards out onto little slabs of metal... Prolly something like brass or stainless steel. Meh, go with stainless steel 'cause brass tarnishes and all that nasty green crap. You can even have the cards burned into the plates with some of the professional lasering things out there today... I seem to remember a spray can type of stuff you coat a piece of metal with, then use a normal laser (not a nitrogen or whatever cutting laser) to burn on whatever the heck you want. If I can find the card from the guys who do it, I'll give it to ya.

Anywho... On with the other stuff:

You might try adding a few things to actually make the game want to be played, kinda like a few twists on the rule structure, how the games are played, all that.

I believe Ophidian uses a thing where you basically play until your turn points are over, then you switch turns (so basically witht the right deck and everything you could create a deck that would last for a very long while...) well, the next idea would be to add a little flare instead of the normal groan stuff... Like, try splicing in other card games into this "deviation". lol, you probably just lost a few brain cells reading this post.

N

Notepad

Yeah, I've read Arena. And the trilogy of books about Greensleeves after that. Garth One-Eye ruled!

Thanks for the input, Nightstalkers. I want this separate set to be able to interact with a Magic deck. You've got a good idea on adding new things, though, and that's what I've done.

Here is a list of alterations:

-"Rampage #" is a keyword ability that replaces "Whenever this is blocked, it gets +#/+# until end of turn" and does not follow the Rampage rules in Magic.
-Indestructible is a keyword
-Loyalty is a new keyword, taken from the Vs. system. Basically, it means "When this comes into play, remove it from the game unless you control another permanent of the same type of the same color." So, if you cast a white creature with Loyalty, you'd need to have another white creature out beforehand.
-Stalwart has been added as a keyword. It means "Does not tap to attack."
-Unblockable is a keyword.
-Gating is a keyword. It means "When this comes into play, return a permanent of the same type of the same color to your hand."
-Poison Tokens replace Poison Counters. They play a more active role in the game, and it is part of the rules that you lose when you have 10, rather than rules text on cards that deal with poison tokens.
-Threshold # replaces Threshold, where the number is the number of cards needed in the graveyard, rather than the default 7.
-Flanking # replaces Flanking, where the number is how much -X/-X the blocker gets.

Once I get the first draft of a set going, it'll be neat to see how these things work out. Playtesting looks to be fun. I can't wait to get this project to the point where it can be played against a Magic deck. :D Or even intermixed with Magic cards. :D :D :D

N

Notepad

No giant praerie dogs, but I have come up with some neat ideas. One fun thing about rearranging the color wheel is that Yellow takes on not only almost all of Green, but takes in white's life and blue's flying and water stuff. Fun! :D

One example of a spell I'd like to see in action, and have not posted as they exist in a notebook:

UNNAMED
{P}
Instant--Psi
Add {P}{P} to your mana pool.
Storm.

Imagine the craziness of such a card in a chaos game. :D

N

Notepad

Yes, in revising some of the cards I added "can't be played during your turn"

Oh, and "interrupt" is back. They are instants, but ones you cannot play on your turn, thus they interrupt other peoples' turns. :D