Casual Doomsday

E

Ephraim

I dug out the remains of my old 5-proxy Vintage Doomsday deck the other day. It got me thinking about how much I'd like to try my hand with that abomination again. I do not, however, wish to make it a proxy deck this time, so I am looking for alternative Doomsday piles that do not require Black Lotus or Ancestral Recall. One of the notions I am considering is that with Ancestral Vision and Lotus Bloom, I can set up at least one of them and then cast Doomsday the turn before the suspended spell is played. Let's just assume that because of the slower nature of the deck, I'll have at least 4 mana available to me from lands or mana artifacts. The 5-proxy version only required 2, so I don't think this is unreasonable.

If the suspended card is Ancestral Vision:
<TOP>
Show and Tell
Gilded Lotus
Dream's Grip
Mind's Desire
Beacon of Destruction
<BOTTOM>

Ancestral Vision resolves, drawing Show and Tell, Gilded Lotus, and Dream's Grip. During Draw Step, I draw Mind's Desire. Cast Show and Tell to put Gilded Lotus into play. Tap Gilded Lotus for 3 blue mana, cast Dream's Grip to untap Gilded Lotus. Tap the Gilded Lotus and the last remaining land for 4 more mana, cast Mind's Desire and use it to play Beacon of Destruction 4 times.

If the suspended card is Lotus Bloom:
<TOP>
Compulsive Research
Dark Ritual
Zoetic Cavern
Mind's Desire
Beacon of Destruction
<BOTTOM>

Lotus Bloom casts during my upkeep; during draw, I draw Compulsive Research. 3/4 lands cast Compulsive Research to draw Dark Ritual, Zoetic Cavern, and Mind's Desire; I discard Zoetic Cavern. My last remaining land casts Dark Ritual and I sacrifice Lotus Bloom to cast Mind's Desire with a storm count of 3, to play Beacon of Destruction 4 times.

There remains a lot of work to be done, obviously, on the rest of the deck. Do these look like workable Doomsday stacks? Is it even worthwhile thinking about using the suspended power cards in place of the real thing? I should probably have a contingency plan in case I only have 3 mana sources in play instead of 4. Can anybody think of a stack that could win with just 3 additional mana? (Of course, I can take some pleasure in the knowledge that I will occasionally get the nut hand that lets me suspend both Ancestral Vision and Lotus Bloom such that they will fire on the same turn.)

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
We need our Vintage experts who alas, are busy playing Vintage and don't check the site anymore... :)

E

Ephraim

I opened the same thread in the casual forum at The Mana Drain, 'cause I figured this was close enough to a real deck that they might have some insight. They clued me into a couple of legacy-legal possibilities. I also recalled that I might use Mise (UNH) instead of Ancestral Recall. On top of a Doomsday stack, it's just as good. I DO like the Conjurer's Bauble, Helm of Awakening, Disciple of the Vault kill.
Here is a link to the discussion over at TMD.

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
Ephraim said:
I opened the same thread in the casual forum at The Mana Drain, 'cause I figured this was close enough to a real deck that they might have some insight. They clued me into a couple of legacy-legal possibilities. I also recalled that I might use Mise (UNH) instead of Ancestral Recall. On top of a Doomsday stack, it's just as good. I DO like the Conjurer's Bauble, Helm of Awakening, Disciple of the Vault kill.
Here is a link to the discussion over at TMD.
Mise is a card now?

E

Ephraim

Oversoul said:
Mise is a card now?
Mise is, in fact, a card now. It's an Unhinged card, though -- completely rude to use it in a combo deck, but I don't particular care. Playing combo decks in casual games is rude anyway and the combo that uses it is harder to fire and easier to disrupt than completely legit combos.

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
Ephraim said:
Mise is, in fact, a card now. It's an Unhinged card, though -- completely rude to use it in a combo deck, but I don't particular care. Playing combo decks in casual games is rude anyway and the combo that uses it is harder to fire and easier to disrupt than completely legit combos.
Playing combo decks is NOT rude. Unhinged can be another matter, depending on the circumstances...

T

train

You culd actually run quite a few more suspended cards with it...

I always cycled my cards with a soldevi digger (in case anything got in the way of me doing something...)