Casual Card Nominees 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

DarthFerret

I chose the Mana Barbs for one simple fact. It is one of the best cards I have seen that has probably never debuted in a top ten tournament deck. Ever. I could be wrong, because some really funky things have happened in older tournaments...however, I beleive that this card above all others is a more Casual card. The tournament playability is little or none, but the opportunities for the card are very nice, and force the entire deck to revolve around it in one way shape or form.

A side note, funny how the three nominations from A/B/U are all red? Raging River, Two Headed Giant, and Mana Barbs. My theory is that unlike the other colors that seemed to define the power limits within the mana costs of the game, (speed wise, there is nothing overall better than a UU counterspell, or a G to give target critter +3/+3 without some disadvantage as well...and for Beserk? well...) red did not do too much other than R for 3 direct damage (Lightning Bolt). So it is much easier to find non-tournament quality "casual" cards from red, than any other color.

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
Chaos Orb was certainly used in tournaments "back in the day." But I believe that tournament play at the time was more casual than it is now, if only in the sense that decks didn't need to be as finely tuned for tournament play.

I don't own a Chaos Orb, nor did anyone I played against regularly. But if I were restricting my nomination to cards I've played with, the cards that weren't reprinted after Unlimited would have little chance of making the list (there are several exceptions). It isn't personal experience behind my decision. I nominate Chaos Orb because I believe that if it were reprinted (rather unlikely), it would be a highly popular casual card. I wouldn't use it in tournaments, as it's too unreliable to use round after round. But in casual games, it would be a hit.

And Chaos Orb is TOO casual for tournaments, so they banned it (we can't have players throwing things at our tournaments!) from tournament play. How awesome is that?

Z

Zigathon

Underworld Dreams, baby!

That card is so casual... everyday is Friday.

W

WickedBoy6

I vote for Dingus Egg.

It wasn't exactly a serious card in my circle, and beyond Armageddon, Balance, and Stone Rain (also Ice Storm and Sinkhole, but no one really had those), nothing really destroyed lands. I loved it, though. Once I had enough lands for my own use, I'd drop it and Ankh of Mishra, so that way, no matter what happened to his lands, my opponent was harmed.

Status
Not open for further replies.