Casual Archetypes

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
That's the title I think I want to go with, but it's not final. For those who didn't see me talking about it in the other thread and all...

The idea is to make a series of articles highlighting popular or particularly cool casual decks. Each deck would get a decklist (no sideboards though, just to make things easier, and this is casual play anyway) and a general description. I plan on covering various casual decks I've played with/against, some of which are based off tournament decks from various formats (which will be noted when possible) hybridized from such decks, etc. But I do want to give some priority to original casual decks (a recent example would be the Kobold deck that Exaulted_Leader posted in the decks forum). Unfortunately I'm not the sort of player that creates large numbers of such decks, so if I don't get them from YOU (yeah, you!) I will have to do something boring like Counter-Post (just kidding; I'll probably do Counter-Post anyway).

-The more the merrier. If you have a cool deck you want featured in Casual Archetypes, pm me with a decklist and anything else you have to say about it. Also, if I see a deck I like in the forums, I might ask if I can use it (you can say something like "NO, MY DECK IS SECRET OR SOMETHING" if you want of course, I will try not to pry...) in Casual Archetypes. If I get a flood of decks, it might be a while before I can cover all of them, but that's fine with me. Oh, and if you want to write articles in the series that's cool too. I would like to collaborate though, so that we don't cover the same decks...

-I'm thinking I'll go with 3-5 decks in an article, for the most part. I might go for more, but I just want to make sure we don't have a situation where there are 10 decks in one article and only 2 in the next one. I already have plans for the first installment being 5 decks (one of each color, of course: White Weenie, Draw-Go, Discard, Burn, and Stompy are what I'm thinking right now, but if that just won't do, give me something better to work with and I'd be obliged to try it out instead). After that I have a huge list of other decks I can feature, but, once again, would like to give priority to decks built by CPA members. They don't have to be competitive in the current Type I metagame or anything (this is casual, after all...) but they should hopefully not be outright bad either. When in doubt, consider that I am watching for Train to post the Sorrow's Path deck he said he would build...

-These decks can be legal in any format--or not. It really doesn't matter. But I would like them to be budget decks primarily. By budget I do not mean that I want anyone to his/her decklist to remove dual lands or something like that. I might even go for a crazy TurboLich deck for fun (if I can find the list, it was an odd deck on so many levels). Maybe budget isn't even the word I should use here. It's not the primary goal, but I don't want this turning into something where everyone is giving me fully powered Type I decks or decks with 20 Moxes, not that I am anticipating such, but still... (Actually, if you send me a good Type I deck, I probably wouldn't mind at all, since I am testing decks for that format as I plan on competing in when I get more of the necessary cards)

I want to try to make this a montly thing. If I can do it even more often later on, I will. But I think I can do monthly at least right now. Okay, that's about all I can think of for the moment. What does everyone think about this? Like it? Hate it? Have another idea or some criticism? Let me know. I want this to be good and I haven't written the first installment yet, so it's not to late to change anything or everything about this...

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Great idea. I think a category should be Tribal or "One Creature type" decks (to differentiate them between the actual Tribal format) since those decks can be seen more in casual play than tourney play.

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
You know, I had the strangest feeling before I made this thread...

...that it would be moved to a different forum. But for some reason I didn't mention it anywhere in the original post...

After giving your idea some consideration, I think that since I've already written a whole article on Burn (even though it's no masterpiece) I'll cover a different red deck in the first installment: Goblins. Well, it'll probably end up being "old school goblins" since I really don't know anything about the new goblins from Onslaught block that might fit into a goblin deck. I've never been a goblin player, but I have built helped some newer players build their decks. I guess it would be a cheaper deck, with Goblin Kings, Grenades, Fanatics, Bolts, Flunkies, Lackeys probably, etc. That is, unless someone else can help me out with this one by sending me a more modern goblin decklist...

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Not sure if the lack of responses mean people are on board or not, but if no one replies before you write and you really want a modern Goblin decklist, check the Deck forum and do a search. Otherwise, just wait for the replies to roll in :)

C

Captain Caveman

I think you should write as many articles as you are willing to do.
I would love to read a few articles on fun casual decks. Maybe
some type of Primer series.

Casual theme decks I've seen elsewhere:

Lion King
-------------------
1 Pride of Lions
3 Gibbering Hyenas
4 Giant Warthog
4 Mtenda Lion
2 Stampede
3 Broodhatch Nantuko
4 Savannah Lions
4 Rancor
2 Stampeding Wildebeast
2 Call of the Wild
4 Birds of paradise
1 Uktabi Orangutan

Savannah
Brushland
Wasteland
ect....

Penance
-----------
4 StP
4 White Knight
1 Ivory Cup
3 Pearcher
2 Wrath of GoD
3 Crusade
2 Clergy of the Holy Nimbus
1 Archangel
3 Holy Day
2 Eye of an Eye
4 Serra Angel
1 Armageddon
3 Pacifism
2 Angelic Chorus
2 Witch Hunter

temple/false god
deserted temple
cathedral of serra
serra's Sanctum
ect..........

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
Well, I'm still going to wait a bit more anyway...

And I can do the red deck last if necessary, but I don't think it'll be a problem...

Captain Caveman: Yes, that is the sort of stuff I'm talking about. Whose decklists are those? I want to give credit where credit is due and all--would feel bad about using them without citing the creator(s) of the decks...

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
I think maybe you should differentiate between multiplayer decks and single-player decks when possible or appropriate.

Killer Joe

Where's the Karoo Meekrats? They're from Mirage. A 2/1 creature for 1G with protection from Blue (I think).

Of course, a multi-player deck is certainly different from a duel deck. Posting the format would be a good idea.

C

Captain Caveman

If you go to the MtgNews web-site forumns you can find several
"group" make a deck threads. Thats where I found those two
decklist.

I agree with the differentiate thingy. Maybe we could "tag" them
someplace, on our site.(Casual Primers....or....whatever)[Sticky
them or whatever]

:D :) ;) :p :cool: