Cartoons spark riots

Mooseman

Isengar Tussle
I'm sorry, but I have absolutely no sympathy for those who think violence or chaos is the answer to some stupid cartoons or political slight.
Are these people for real? They are just being used by some power hungry religious and/or political leaders. What a bunch of tools..........

Mooseman

Isengar Tussle
Yeah, but he's a music teacher, if a word has more than A,B,C,D or E in it he gets confused..... :D

L

Limited

Back on topic:

I have little respect for people who think violence is the answer for anything (the whole 'violence begets violence'.. Mandela is my hero)

But my main worry here is that, after having seen the cartoons, i suspect they were only published to provoke/slander the Islam. Most of them aren't even funny attempts at being witty: they just depict Mohammed in association with violence. Moreover, the cartoons almost all depict a generic Muslim; only the set implies that you are looking at Mohammed, which you are not allowed to depict. So, aside from being a sneer at the Islam, they also clearly taunt them by unnecessarily depicting Mohammed. It would have hoped the Danish Newspaper would have used some discretion..

On the other hand the reaction to the cartoons is even more absurd. I am not very surprised that countries already 'headbutting' with the UN are having actual riots, because I think there is a lot of anger there and the protests are not just about the cartoons. I have no problem with people protesting to show what they stand for, but I just can't understand people hitting themselves in the head until they bleed (does anyone know why they do that?)

I got really worried when the said on the news that some Muslim kids burned the Danish flag.. in the Netherlands! It's scarrier when the hate shows close to home I guess, but I really lived under the assumption that I lived in a fairly tolerant country..

Recent events, however, have kind of shattered that illusion.

*Someday, somewhere, somebody is going to drop a spoon, and we'll have WWIII. Not because of the spoon, but because deep down a lot of people want it to happen*

Mooseman

Isengar Tussle
You have to wonder at their motives. Why burn the Danish flag? Did the government publish the cartoons? Do those people understand that not all governments control the media?
Burn the newpaper that published it. Show your anger at the entity that caused that anger.
What makes me think that it has little to do with the actual cartoons, is that there are protests against anything "western" or "European" even if it has nothing to do with the cartoons. A KFC was burned. WTF does KFC have to do with the newspapers that published the cartoons.
Sorry, for the rant, but I find that the poor sheep of Islam are being led by the nose to riot. And it's not for their sake, but the sake of those who have or covet power.

One last rant, If you don't like the country you emigrated to and can't protest peacefully within the contraints of that countries laws, move to a country that shares your beliefs.

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
Mooseman said:
One last rant, If you don't like the country you emigrated to and can't protest peacefully within the contraints of that countries laws, move to a country that shares your beliefs.
He didn't say the kids were necessarily immigrants.

L

Limited

I have no idea if the kids were immigrants or muslim or both.. But they were probably raised in the Netherlands so they should probably have an idea of the problems arise from multiple cultures living together under one government and how to handle these problems.

They explained the attacks on the Danish Embassy by compairing freedom of press; those countries have a small freedom of press and so expect anything printed in a newspaper was approved by the government.

I would expect children raised in the Netherlands to focus their anger at the newspaper and not at Denmark.

Still confused..

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Mooseman said:
What makes me think that it has little to do with the actual cartoons, is that there are protests against anything "western" or "European" even if it has nothing to do with the cartoons.
That's pretty much the conclusion that most of the analysts in the newspapers I read came to. The cartoons were just the catalyst, but the protests are about something bigger.

H

HOUTS

If you have to discuss freedom of press, then you've diluted your unpriced G.E.D. education.
It's quite simple.
HOUTS

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
HOUTS said:
If you have to discuss freedom of press, then you've diluted your unpriced G.E.D. education.
What an elitist thing to say. You sound like an ignorant liberal. :rolleyes:

H

HOUTS

What an elitist thing to say. You sound like an ignorant liberal.
Look up the word: Elitist

Then, talk.

Liberal? Really? Actually this isn't part of the liberal agenda. Ignorance deals with what isn't known. My reply points the actual fact of the matter. You can stupid, but not ignorant.

Ignorance: your reply.
You have no idea what you are talking about...again.

HOUTS
3 Time Supporter of G.E.D. Education

H

HOUTS

OHHHHH!

Gotcha

Sorry, sarcasm is HARD to detect on here.

In that case: PROPS.

My bad.

lol!

HOUTS