Card List for Antiquities...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
We weren't going to start this until Monday, but since BB was kind enough to post the card list, might as well... :)

Nominations are due by Monday, 4/10 by 7:00 AM EST.

B

BigBlue

well, I was just posting the list since I could and I'll be out the next 2 days... I didn't mean to start early...

But, seeing as you are starting early.... I nominate the very first casual card everyone played with when they had them.... The Atog... Has there ever been another card which was misread/misplayed? We ALL thought it kept the counters longer than EOT....

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
And here is where I think it becomes unfair to cards that didn't get reprinted. That was true to a lesser extent before, but here I think it's more important. The cards we've all played with and against are the ones that were reprinted (even if you were playing back in Antiquities, you're probably more familiar with the cards that got reprinted).

Despite that, I'm going to nominate...

Ivory Tower

Casual players love gaining life, but up until now lifegain cards tended to suck. Ivory Tower allowed a lifegain over time that created new viable strategies. Cards that filled your hand and cards that used life as a currency to obtain other things became that much better.

T

train

What if I have two nominations... tetravus and Shapeshifter...

Guess I'll just do shapeshifter...

:cool:

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Nomination List so far (edited 3/30 12:15 PM EST):
  • BB - Atog
  • Oversoul - Ivory Tower
  • train - Shapeshifter
  • Mooseman - Goblin Artisan
  • DarthFerret - Cursed Rack

Mooseman

Isengar Tussle
Goblin Artisans

What? Filp coin? Counter target artifact spell you control?
Draw a card?
Is blue embarrassed and blushing red?

Not only is this card overly synergetic (wow, I think I just made up that word), it's random.
A pure casual combination.......

Ransac

CPA Trash Man
I was very tempted to nominate Ornithopter, the Urza Lands, or Bronze Tablet, But, I'm going to having emphatically second Big Blue's nomination of Atog. I'll post a support thread later.

Ransac, cpa trash man

D

DarthFerret

Cursed Rack. This is a nice card for casual play, because it can annoy everyone! One of the biggest things for me in Casual Format is the annoyance factor (One reason why I play so much blue!) :D

T

train

That's how I view the shapeshifter... when creature decks were the big thing (and most still are in casual) - shapeshifter was always nice to have...

B

BigBlue

In terms of my defense of my nomination...

I submit the following, in addition to the fact it was consistently misread and played havoc.... Name another card which later had an entire cycle made up to celebrate it's popularity? Even going so far as to make a 5 color version. They tried to stop him, by not reprinting him for a while, but he returned once again to the scene... Devouring all those other artifacts on his way to becoming a behemoth... I'll grant you the utility of the tower... the bizarre of the cursed rack... the coolness of the shapeshifter.... but the atog will just eat them all to get bigger... Artifice Schmartifice...

Ransac

CPA Trash Man
This arguement is not very thorough, but with BigBlue nominating it first, I'll let him be more so if he chooses to.

Atog has been a favorite staple of the casual gamer for reasons other than it's playability. The artwork is hilarious and is easily imitatable. Theorgg pulls them out of his breech-cloth during off-topic battles. But, for me, Atog was made famous to the casual player thanks to the efforts of InQuest magazine. His antics with Juzam Djinn were very humorous and I've never looked at an Atog the same since they've been printing them.

*chomp chomp* *chomp chomp*

Ransac, cpa trash man

D

DarthFerret

Cursed Rack may not win you any tournaments. But I suggest that it gets more groans when it comes into play (especially in multiplayer) than any other card mentioned so far.

Status
Not open for further replies.