Can't believe this guy!

D

Dune Echo

Okay, you guys want to laugh at the tourney players some more? Go read this article. I'll wait. Click on the link and then hit your Back button when you're done.

http://www.starcityccg.com/mustread/000223jarrell.shtml

Okay. Are you laughing at what I'm laughing at? This guy thinks that Illusions of Grandeur needs to be errata'd so that you cannot Donate it to your opponent any more. JUMPING JESUS ON A POGO STICK! Just because someone made Donate work in a deck, this guy thinks it should be errata'd. WHAT THE HELL? You know, by that rational, why don't we just errata everything so that there is no such thing as combo and we can just sling Blazes at each other all day. Whoopee!

I can't understand why people like this guy continue to play an intellectual game where someone decides to take a disadvantaging card such as Donate and make good use of it and that's bad. What's the point of playing? Is is just that he's insulted because someone is using two crappy cards to kill him instantly, but it's okay if he uses Necropotence (a good card, right?) to beat his opponent over a series of turns? I HATE HYPOCRITES!

-Dune Echo

... but I never said I wasn't one myself!

M

Mr_Pestilence

Sorry, but I agree with the starcity article. Donate/Illusions is broken, which means that it has a grossly unfair advantage in its environment.

And don't start listing cards and decks that can beat it, because that's not the point. Just because I can build a deck with Pyroblasts, Force of Wills, Erases, etc. that can hang with Donate/Illusions, that same deck would get crushed by the rest of the field. Anybody can build a deck to defeat another specific deck, but having to do this to have a chance against that deck means the deck you are trying to beat is broken, and needs to be whacked by WotC/DCI.

C

Chaos Turtle

I dunno... maybe the guy is looking for burrow owls in trees, but really...

I don't care for the fix he suggested, though. It would be easy to return Illusions of Grandeur to its intent with errata that stipulates that the Owner of the card gains/loses the life.
I hate the idea that a banning would need to come out of a very interesting card like Donate, but the deck is too strong, and too fast. Necropotence is what makes it too fast, but has Necro's time come? Now that it's being used as part of a combo engine instead of a simple card-advantage device, is it too much?
I don't have an answer. I hate bannings just to break up a deck, and errata always seems to mess things up as well, but the deck is ruining what was otherwise a diverse and interesting Extended environment.

--the Chaos Turtle
"Everybody knows that a burrow owl lives in a hole in the ground! Why the hell d'you think they call it a 'burrow owl,' anyway?"--The Dead Milkmen

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
I always thought the way Illusions worked under the stack and die at zero life was weird simply because I don't think the card works that way under pre-6th rules.

However, I don't know enough about the tourney field to know if it's dominating it or not so I can't say what a solution might be.

D

Dune Echo

Aww hell! Maybe the DCI needs to listen to Pikula and ban Necropotence. It would stop a lot of abusive combos. Anyone agree with me on that one.

Forget it, I don't care. I don't play tournaments. But isn't it almost universally recognized that card drawing engines are bad for the game in general. Bargain got banned in Extended and restricted in Vintage, did it not? Why does everyone insist Necropotence is a balanced card? I just hate hypocracy. Waylay was more dangerous than Yawgmoth's Bargain, right?

T

theorgg

Pre-Sixth, the only way people thought you could give an illusions to your opponant was to use a forgn(italian) gauntlets of chaos. everyone thought it allowed it, for some reason or another...

and the stack didn't exist. If it resolved, you gained twenty life.
If it left, you lost it. For such a long time, if you got one, you felt like a piece of $#*! for getting one of the worst cards in Magic.

when I saw Donate, I tried to collect all of them from my friends.

I have four in "hava cigar"( http://www.brainburst.com/freesite/orggscave/decks/cigar.DEC ) and fourteen stashed somewhere in my room.
I don't know where, but there somewhere...

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
That's what I thought, because it was a triggered effect and pre-6th, you couldn't respond to triggered effects.

I don't know if they were that bad then though. I never played with one (and I don't know if I even have one). I guess protecting it would be the biggest problem.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Interesting....

For the record, I don't believe in bannings unless it's the VERY last resort. More innovative deck design, then bring back the Resticted List, and THEN ban should be the order of things to go.

C

Chaos Turtle

I agree except for the Restricted List.

Either a card should be allowed or not allowed, none of this one-copy business that only increases the randomness/luck factor.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Well, subscribing to the "should play all cards" theory :), if a card is too powerful to have four of them at least see if it's still broken if only one is in a deck. It might increase the luck factor but I look at it as being my choice for putting the card in there and doing it to myself rather than opening the slot to another card to make THAT one four of a kind.

And heck, aren't there decks that only put in one or two of a "key card" (drain life comes to mind in a Pros-Bloom deck) but use a lot of deck manipulation to get it? I don't think things change all that much.