Canadian Highlander

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
I've known about Canadian Highlander for a long time and used to play the little-known predecessor to it, Seattle "150" Highlander. I like the point list concept, but everyone around here is into Commander instead, which I find to be a less interesting variant. I think it'd be cool if Canadian Highlander caught on, so I guess it's good that the WotC site is sort of promoting it with this.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
I thought we tried some point variant of *something*, but can't remember... we've tried all sorts of stuff here :) We've had multiple things going on so we could start a Canadian Highlander game "now"... see if people are interested and get some decks together.

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
I was way overworked at the time I wrote my previous comment. For clarification, when I said "everyone around here" I meant in the Seattle area, as I live somewhere in it, not the CPA, for which that statement may not hold true.

Regardless, I'd be up for some Canadian Highlander. Don't have any decks for it at the moment, but I can throw something together...

T

Terentius

I made a deck in this format by failing to choose a suitable Commander for a 4 color Eldrazi deck. Though all of the cards are from the Gatewatch block, so it wouldn't be able to compete at the level described in the article.

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
I think a key aspect of this format is that while the power level is far too high for you to do whatever silly thing you might want and get away with it, the diversity and depth are such that you have lots of options on things you can do, and you can do them very, very powerfully. It's a cut-throat format that doesn't really nourish the typical casual brew, theme deck, or budget deck, but it lets an attentive, strategically-minded player develop and fine-tune a list into something really cool.

Tempted as I am to build a Storm deck for Canadian Highlander (I have the cards, or am close enough that I could easily get there), it's something that's already been done, done well, and done within the scope of the particulars of this format. A Storm deck I'd try to build wouldn't be as good as what the experts on this format would come up with, and if I netdecked their lists, I'd just have someone else's deck that I'd then have to learn to play. And if I did accomplish that, Storm wouldn't really lend itself to games that would be interesting when played over a message board. That's not to say the mechanic deserves its reputation for boring, uninteractive games (it doesn't), but given the structure of gameplay in our games run board, I'd be apprehensive. So I'm thinking of just building some sort of control deck or something instead...

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
Man, I still think it would be cool to play in this format, but I've been too busy to really study it. The funny part is that I have all of the cards I'd need to build a really good Storm deck, but I have no experience with the format to actually pilot such a deck to a level of competence that I'd deem acceptable, which is the opposite of the problem would-be combo players usually have (usually we know what we'd want to play, but simply can't afford the rare, expensive cards necessary to actually construct the deck). Maybe I too should just netdeck something and then we can get some games going...

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
Yep. I think I've decided on a deck to start with, and once I have some time to dig through my cards and purchase a couple of ones that I might be missing, I'll have a deck...

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
Yeah. I haven't had time to get a deck together. Even just going off a list, it might take me hours to dig out the appropriate cards. Of course, I guess I could just netdeck and fire up MTG Workstation, which would be much faster. I've grown used to actually using the physical cards, even for forum games. I know it went poorly in the last Commander game I joined here (moved residence and took forever to get the deck unpacked to move the game along again), but I for it anyway. Might as well do something with all of these cards...

On the other hand, I'm rarely home long enough to actually do much physical deck construction, so I should probably just be practical and use a computer program...