Cabal Therapy!

I

Istanbul

Cabal Therapy (B)
Sorcery
Name a non-land card. Target player reveals his or her hand and discards from it all cards with that name.

Niiiice. First of all, you have to realize the impact this has on Netdecks. Is your opponent playing Frog? This card is fast enough to put a damper on your opponent's offensive. Playing against Tog? See what you can do about making Fact or Fiction more of a fiction scenario.

But here's my favorite combo with it...super-cheap, and it came to mind instantly when I saw this card:

Duress (B)
Sorcery
Look at target player's hand and choose a non-creature, non-land card. That player discards that card.

For those of you who aren't good at this sort of thing, let me spell that out for you.

Turn 1: Swamp, Duress. Memorize your opponent's hand.
Turn 2: Swamp, Cabal Therapy. Hey, look! I just played Coercion for one mana!
Turn 3: Swamp, Ravenous Rats, flash back Cabal Therapy. Did I just empty your hand? I did, didn't I?

I *strongly* expect to see Cabal Therapy see play. Get these in foil early if you can!

B

BigBlue

I put it into the not quite Lobotomy category, but for (B) what more could you ask for?

Bounce, bye-bye with his friends if they're there. And game 2, jeez, no duress, but I know what hurt me early last go round.

Yeah, it will see play almost as much as duress.

Recoil, hmm, didn't discard that one? oky doky, how about you discard it now, don't you feel better? Now that is what I call Therapy.

So, How does this compare to say Peek? Turn 1 reveal hand, now either your opponent might "get" to discard a card you don't like, or you may draw a card you do.

R

rkoelsch

wouldn't that be vicious

4-Peek
4-Duress
4-Cabal Therapy
4-Lobotomy
4-Recoil

gives me shivers just to think about it. :eek:

B

BigBlue

Cmon, you know you want to add lobotomy. :D

And yes I think that'd be a casual nightmare. I'm not sure whether it'd be strong enough for tourney play. I could see -

4 Aether Burst
4 Recoil
4 Shadowmage Infiltrator
4 Fact or Fiction
4 Psychatog
4 Duress
4 Cabal Therapy
4 Undermine
4 Counterspell

4 Underground River
12 Island
8 Swamp

Perhaps Lobotomy Main Deck and Bring in Therapy off the bench once you know your opponents deck. Is it target player, or target opponent?

If it's player, maybe you use yourself and Walla to get them out fast? or maybe Wurm later in the game if you are missing the mongrel. (mongrel + madness = insanity in my book)

N

Nightstalkers

Hey buddy, what set is that Cabal Theropy in??? Could you send us a few dosen of those, please.:D