CA Think Tank: Stupid people love Bush

A

ageofdeception

New study shows correlation between decline of IQ and rise of GOP

"Stupid people love Bush" new study proves According to the prestigious Southern California think tank, The Gluton Group, stupid people prefer President George W. Bush over Senator John Kerry by a 4-to-1 margin.

Address:http://www.workingforchange.com/article.cfm?ItemID=17627

A

ageofdeception

I think the word "progressive" is a good, positive word.

A

avsrule

Progressive: AKA "Liberal".

Of course they would come out with a "study" like this.

A

ageofdeception

You seem to have a problem with the English language, much like the president you idiolize. The survey speaks volumes -- that's your problem!

A

ageofdeception

The word in question is "progressive," not "liberal" -- why not go to a dictionary instead of a thesaurus?

American Heritage Dictionary Definition for the word "Progressive": 1. Moving forward; advancing. 2. Proceeding in steps or by stages. 3. Promoting or favoring political reform; liberal.

The root word is "progress": 1. Movement toward a goal. 2. Steady improvement, as of a civilization.

I can find no negative connotation of the word "progressive."

A

avsrule

You are taking things literally. In the context of that sitethey are liberal or "progressive".

A

ageofdeception

Again, I don't consider that a bad thing. I think America needs to go forward as anything that stays stagnant usually dies.

A

avsrule

I think we should be "progressive" in the sense that we are moving forward and bettering ourselves. But I don't think the "progressive" viewpoint is going to make us more "progressive" (moving us forward)

A

ageofdeception

Well, I must disagree with you. You've used the word "progressive" three times to describe two view points, one of which must conflict with the meaning of the word, which is positive in every respect -- there's no need to spin it, it is what it is. Touche!

A

avsrule

Exactly. The word progressive does not have one single meaning. Context is the key.

A

ageofdeception

Touche, I agree context is paramount in communication; however, I disagree with the use of the word "progressive" for a negative meaning, just as I would not use the word "conservative" if I were looking to put a negative slant in my statement. Since your aim was to degrade the report, your statement would have had more meaning had you chosen a word other than "progressive," which is not a negative word, as the dictionary clearly states. Even though Republicans hate the words "progressive" and "liberal," the root of these words are positive, not negative.

E

EricBess

But let's not forget who coined the term "progressive" for this group. It was themselves. The same people who call themselves "pro-choice" because they don't want to have to live with consequences of the choices they already made...

It's not only about context, it's about image and perception, just like presenting a study to demonstrate that you can prove anything you want to with statistics.

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
It was also found that Ralph Nader supporters were the brightest of all political proponents tested, but Dr. Friend dismissed them as "too smart for their own good."
Heh... :p

C

Chaos Turtle

Arguing over the meaning of the word "progressive" over ten posts instead of just clarifying yourselves from the start...does this mean you are both GOP?

You want to know what's really funny? The first thing I noticed when the page loaded was that the author's name was familiar to me: Will Durst. Will Durst is a comedian.

Actually reading the article should have made that clear. Even just skimming all the way to the bottom should have done the trick, since there is a boldface line which begins, "To read more Will Durst satire..."

Jeez, guys...

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
I don't think anyone has ever actually given me that label before in my entire life... :eek:

Insane lots of times. But I can't remember ever being called "sane."

Anyway, it WAS funny. Especially the Nader bit...