By Your Powers Combined, I am Captain Jhoira [EDH]

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
My friend who organizes our local EDH league screwed up and I only recently learned that for tomorrow's event, we're incentivized to run two-color decks. GCMLDA probably isn't appropriate for the league, so I threw this together. And all in what was, for me, record time.

1x Abrade
1x Arcane Denial
1x Arcbound Ravager
1x Arcbound Worker
1x Arid Mesa
1x Blightsteel Colossus
1x Bloodstained Mire
1x Brudiclad, Telchor Engineer
1x Candelabra of Tawnos
1x Cascade Bluffs
1x Cathodion
1x Chief of the Foundry
1x Counterflux
1x Counterspell
1x Dack Fayden
1x Etherium Sculptor
1x Flooded Strand
1x Force of Will
1x Foundry Inspector
1x Frogmite
1x Great Furnace
1x Grim Monolith
1x Inventors' Fair
6x Island
1x Izzet Guildmage
1x Izzet Signet
1x Jhoira's Familiar
1x Jhoira, Weatherlight Captain *CMDR*
1x Karn's Temporal Sundering
1x Lightning Greaves
1x Lodestone Golem
1x Lotus Petal
1x Mana Crypt
1x Mana Drain
1x Mana Vault
1x Master of Etherium
1x Maze of Ith
1x Memnite
1x Metalwork Colossus
1x Metalworker
1x Misty Rainforest
6x Mountain
1x Mox Amber
1x Mox Diamond
1x Mox Opal
1x Myr Enforcer
1x Myr Retriever
1x Niv-Mizzet, Parun
1x Ornithopter
1x Paradox Engine
1x Paradoxical Outcome
1x Pentad Prism
1x Phyrexian Metamorph
1x Phyrexian Walker
1x Polluted Delta
1x Reliquary Tower
1x Reset
1x Saheeli Rai
1x Saheeli, the Gifted
1x Sai, Master Thopterist
1x Scalding Tarn
1x Sculpting Steel
1x Seat of the Synod
1x Sensei's Divining Top
1x Shivan Reef
1x Skullclamp
1x Sol Ring
1x Sparring Construct
1x Spirebluff Canal
1x Staff of Domination
1x Steam Vents
1x Steel Overseer
1x Storm the Vault
1x Strip Mine
1x Su-Chi
1x Sulfur Falls
1x Tawnos, Urza's Apprentice
1x Tezzeret, Artifice Master
1x Thaumatic Compass
1x Thoughtcast
1x Transmute Artifact
1x Traxos, Scourge of Kroog
1x Vedalken Engineer
1x Volcanic Island
1x Voltaic Key
1x Voltaic Servant
1x Walking Ballista
1x Wasteland
1x Wooded Foothills
1x Workshop Assistant

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
Well, this got the job done. Definitely had some issues with consistency that I spotted in actual gameplay and that would be addressed if I continued to play this deck in something approximating its current form. But for yesterday's event, that was overshadowed by something else. In the first round, I kept an opening hand with Paradox Engine and some early artifact mana. Almost right away I topdecked Steel Overseer, so my gameplan was to hope I could keep the Steel Overseer alive and make a board full of big artifact creatures to kill people. But a few details came up...
  1. In this league, you get penalized for killing an opponent before that opponent's sixth turn.
  2. The player who went first is a nice lady who has always played the same deck, which her husband built for her. She doesn't have much experience, but has some powerful cards in that deck and generally knows how to use them. She dropped a second turn Rites of Flourishing.
  3. I was easily able to accelerate out a third-turn Jhoira and also had Foundry Inspector and Etherium Sculptor almost right away. By my fourth turn I had both of those out and Paradox Engine and my Steel Overseer. I was running out of d20 dice to use to mark +1/+1 counters on my artifact creatures by my fifth turn and had a big enough army to run the table, but that would mean being penalized.
  4. After my third turn, all of my turns were taking forever because each artifact I cast meant I was drawing a new card and untapping all of my non-land permanents, as well as ticking up my artifact creatures with Steel Overseer.
  5. Two of the players had pretty quick turns, but the player who boosted me with Rites of Flourishing was running an Azusa deck and also had long turns. She got an emblem from Nissa, Vital Force and was playing lots of lands, so she was digging for answers to stop me, but couldn't find any. Together, we ate up the clock.
  6. Our game ran on so long that other games finished up. Players saw at a glance that my playmat was full of cards with dice on them and came by to get a closer look. They'd inevitably wonder why I hadn't killed everyone else, at which point my opponents would point out that they'd only had four or five turns and that I'd be penalized for killing them.
  7. Because of those circumstances, pretty much everyone had the notion that my deck was some ultra-powerful combo that was the most dangerous thing around. In reality, it was a pile of junk I threw together at the last minute and not very streamlined. But you can't really convince people of that when they see a playmat stacked with creatures that have more than 20 +1/+1 counters.
So I was focused and killed quickly in the other two rounds. Rightfully so? I mean, kind of. The second game was uneventful with me just topdecking a bunch of lands and dying. In the third game, two players coordinated to deal exactly lethal damage against me before I could get another turn. I revealed that if they'd let me live one more turn, I'd have cast Transmute Artifact to grab Staff of Domination, then cast Reset during the next player's draw step and copied it with Izzet Guildmage, gaining infinite life and drawing enough cards to be sure that I'd win.
Haven't taken this deck apart yet, but it's not going to be my focus for now. Some day I'll put together a better version.