By Your Powers Combined, I am Captain Jhoira [EDH]

Discussion in 'Casual Decks/Variants/Etc' started by Oversoul, Apr 7, 2019.

1. Oversoul The Tentacled One

My friend who organizes our local EDH league screwed up and I only recently learned that for tomorrow's event, we're incentivized to run two-color decks. GCMLDA probably isn't appropriate for the league, so I threw this together. And all in what was, for me, record time.

1x Abrade
    1x Arcane Denial
    1x Arcbound Ravager
    1x Arcbound Worker
    1x Arid Mesa
    1x Blightsteel Colossus
    1x Bloodstained Mire
    1x Brudiclad, Telchor Engineer
    1x Candelabra of Tawnos
    1x Cascade Bluffs
    1x Cathodion
    1x Chief of the Foundry
    1x Counterflux
    1x Counterspell
    1x Dack Fayden
    1x Etherium Sculptor
    1x Flooded Strand
    1x Force of Will
    1x Foundry Inspector
    1x Frogmite
    1x Great Furnace
    1x Grim Monolith
    1x Inventors' Fair
    6x Island
    1x Izzet Guildmage
    1x Izzet Signet
    1x Jhoira's Familiar
    1x Jhoira, Weatherlight Captain *CMDR*
    1x Karn's Temporal Sundering
    1x Lightning Greaves
    1x Lodestone Golem
    1x Lotus Petal
    1x Mana Crypt
    1x Mana Drain
    1x Mana Vault
    1x Master of Etherium
    1x Maze of Ith
    1x Memnite
    1x Metalwork Colossus
    1x Metalworker
    1x Misty Rainforest
    6x Mountain
    1x Mox Amber
    1x Mox Diamond
    1x Mox Opal
    1x Myr Enforcer
    1x Myr Retriever
    1x Niv-Mizzet, Parun
    1x Ornithopter
    1x Paradox Engine
    1x Paradoxical Outcome
    1x Pentad Prism
    1x Phyrexian Metamorph
    1x Phyrexian Walker
    1x Polluted Delta
    1x Reliquary Tower
    1x Reset
    1x Saheeli Rai
    1x Saheeli, the Gifted
    1x Sai, Master Thopterist
    1x Scalding Tarn
    1x Sculpting Steel
    1x Seat of the Synod
    1x Sensei's Divining Top
    1x Shivan Reef
    1x Skullclamp
    1x Sol Ring
    1x Sparring Construct
    1x Spirebluff Canal
    1x Staff of Domination
    1x Steam Vents
    1x Steel Overseer
    1x Storm the Vault
    1x Strip Mine
    1x Su-Chi
    1x Sulfur Falls
    1x Tawnos, Urza's Apprentice
    1x Tezzeret, Artifice Master
    1x Thaumatic Compass
    1x Thoughtcast
    1x Transmute Artifact
    1x Traxos, Scourge of Kroog
    1x Vedalken Engineer
    1x Volcanic Island
    1x Voltaic Key
    1x Voltaic Servant
    1x Walking Ballista
    1x Wasteland
    1x Wooded Foothills
    1x Workshop Assistant
  2. Oversoul The Tentacled One

Well, this got the job done. Definitely had some issues with consistency that I spotted in actual gameplay and that would be addressed if I continued to play this deck in something approximating its current form. But for yesterday's event, that was overshadowed by something else. In the first round, I kept an opening hand with Paradox Engine and some early artifact mana. Almost right away I topdecked Steel Overseer, so my gameplan was to hope I could keep the Steel Overseer alive and make a board full of big artifact creatures to kill people. But a few details came up...
    1. In this league, you get penalized for killing an opponent before that opponent's sixth turn.
    2. The player who went first is a nice lady who has always played the same deck, which her husband built for her. She doesn't have much experience, but has some powerful cards in that deck and generally knows how to use them. She dropped a second turn Rites of Flourishing.
    3. I was easily able to accelerate out a third-turn Jhoira and also had Foundry Inspector and Etherium Sculptor almost right away. By my fourth turn I had both of those out and Paradox Engine and my Steel Overseer. I was running out of d20 dice to use to mark +1/+1 counters on my artifact creatures by my fifth turn and had a big enough army to run the table, but that would mean being penalized.
    4. After my third turn, all of my turns were taking forever because each artifact I cast meant I was drawing a new card and untapping all of my non-land permanents, as well as ticking up my artifact creatures with Steel Overseer.
    5. Two of the players had pretty quick turns, but the player who boosted me with Rites of Flourishing was running an Azusa deck and also had long turns. She got an emblem from Nissa, Vital Force and was playing lots of lands, so she was digging for answers to stop me, but couldn't find any. Together, we ate up the clock.
    6. Our game ran on so long that other games finished up. Players saw at a glance that my playmat was full of cards with dice on them and came by to get a closer look. They'd inevitably wonder why I hadn't killed everyone else, at which point my opponents would point out that they'd only had four or five turns and that I'd be penalized for killing them.
    7. Because of those circumstances, pretty much everyone had the notion that my deck was some ultra-powerful combo that was the most dangerous thing around. In reality, it was a pile of junk I threw together at the last minute and not very streamlined. But you can't really convince people of that when they see a playmat stacked with creatures that have more than 20 +1/+1 counters.
    So I was focused and killed quickly in the other two rounds. Rightfully so? I mean, kind of. The second game was uneventful with me just topdecking a bunch of lands and dying. In the third game, two players coordinated to deal exactly lethal damage against me before I could get another turn. I revealed that if they'd let me live one more turn, I'd have cast Transmute Artifact to grab Staff of Domination, then cast Reset during the next player's draw step and copied it with Izzet Guildmage, gaining infinite life and drawing enough cards to be sure that I'd win.
    Haven't taken this deck apart yet, but it's not going to be my focus for now. Some day I'll put together a better version.