Buying a Mox

M

Mundungu

The Scenario :
place : At the local shop
People : plenty
scene : a young guy plays with moxes - without sleeves BTW - and every body wonders.

Me : I remember the kid saying the week before that his sister boyfriend gave him a bunch of cards (I might be wrong).

I offered to buy him a Mox for hard cash 50 USD for a VG condition unlimited ruby. He settled for 55, but I ended up giving him 60 (I didnt want to rip him off) (I just came from the ATM and exceptionally had that cash on me).

My questions up to the poll:
Did I rip the kid off ?

Would you have bought a VG Mox Ruby for 60 USD?

Would you spend that amount of money on any card ?

Even if you just had the change in your pocket and it was a one time opportunity?

N

nodnarb24

1.)I don't think you did, $60 bucks for a piece of cardboard is pretty good.

2.)If I had the money on me I probably would have done it.

3.)Situational, but I would if it was a great deal.

4.)yes

R

rkoelsch

I might trade several cards for a Mox but I wouldn't pay $60 for it.

Back when I was first starting I was offered a Lotus for $50 in 95. Didn't take the deal and don't really regret it.

L

Landkiller

If you didn't let the kid know the real value then you're guilty by omission.

Did he know the price?

If the kid still has Moxes or Lotuses or anything, do him the favor of letting him know thier value.

Don't do it again.

1. Yes and No. You ripped him off but he's happy you did. It's a strange thing. Maybe he'll change his mind. Minors can revoke any contract they enter for any reason, in the USA. This includes every purchase a minor makes. Necessary items are the only exception, such as food.

2. Yes. if I could afford it.
3. NO. If I was a great deal less poor, then Yes.
4. Hell NO. If I had the cash, I can think of eleven better ways to spend it.

A

Apollo

1. First off, you did rip him off. If he didn't know the card's value, and you offered him less than half of it, then of course you rippe him off.

2. I wouldn't have done it, mainly because I'm slightly short on cash at the moment and Christmas is coming up.

3. Nah, unles I was in a more wealthy position. If I had a job at the moment (waiting until summer), then I'd be very tempted. As is, I'm not spending more than $5 on any card.

4. See above.

R

Riva Iron-Grip

i think taht paying that much for any card is wacked. what are you going to do with it? surely not play with it. i had a mox diamond and didn't play with it. noone plays with those, unless they are sponsored by wotc, and are given them.

M

Mundungu

1) I need to clarify that the "kid" was probably 14 or 15 not a 8 year old.
2) he would have settled for 55 but I gave him 60
which was HIS opening proposal
3) he knew perfectly well what a mox is.

4) I waz probably stupid to ask this question here ...

5) YES I PLAY WITH THE DAMM THING, of course in sleeves though, Like I play with the other moxes I have (pearl and jet)

A

Apollo

You did ask for our opinion...

Even if he is a 14 or 15 year old, if he accepted $60 he probably didn't know what a Mox is worth. There is a difference between knowing "this card is good and very popular" and realizing just how much it is worth.

If you are absolutely sure he knew what his card was worth, you are fine and have nothing to worry about.

I play with my Mox (Jet) too, Riva. If you use good sleeves, there's nothing wrong with it. What's the point of getting it if you aren't going to play?

G

Gizmo

Yes, whenever I have done something like this I`ve always at least said "the card is probably worth a bit more than this". If you didn`t let the kid know that you thought you were ripping him off then probably you have to accept that he might feel a bit pissed off in future.

N

Neil Rigby

If all parties in a transaction are happy with the outcome they cannot complain of being ripped off even if later information alters how they would have acted in said transaction. I can recall a situation where I sold some cards to a friend who, whilst still with me, instantly walked to a local trader and sold them for almost twice as much as he had given me for them. Was I a bit miffed (yes) can I complain that I got ripped off (no, I was happy at the time). I also know of several people who support their income by finding out who will give them the best price for a card and then getting it off someone for less. You are not forced to inform someone of the POSSIBLE value (you may not even be aware yourself) of an item which you wish to purchase, Would this thread have even started if the person selling the card was a trader/adult?, why does the age of the person in the transaction make such a difference? just because someone is older doesn't neccessarily mean that they are aware of a cards value, I have seen little kids hustle older players before today.
In the end this is just an argument about how you feel morally and has only arisen because the person you 'ripped off' was quite young. Don't worry about it, he'll live.

M

Mr_Pestilence

I think this was a reasonable price to pay. The card was in less than mint condition, so the premium price is not warranted. Also, the value of these cards has dipped recently. I see "mint" power 9 cards sold on ebay all the time from $100-125 dollars.

N

NeuroDeus

1. You sort of did rip him. The kid was content because he got $60 all to himself from a piece of cardboard but he didn't know the price.

2. Yes and No. I am pretty money-less lately but a Mox is a Mox.

3. I prefer sticking to the $10-most-per-card-policy but as I already said a Mox is a Mox. Prefer trading.

4. If I did have the change they where for something else. I would have been very tempted to get the Mox.

H

Hetemti

Remember the rule of evaluating anything that is not legal tender:

Nothing is worth more than someone will pay for it.

If noöne wanted to buy the Mox, it's value is $0.00. You offered $60. The Mox's value is now $60. It is only fair that you let him know that others would pay more, but if the owner would rather get $60 cash now rather than try to work out a deal with someone else, so be it.

True, it was a rather unfair not to inform the owner that he could sell it for a much greater price, but it is not your responsibility to do so.

Don't feel too bad about it, just let the kid now he should demand more should he choose to sell any cards bearing "Mox," "Lotus," or "Juzam" in it's title.

I, personaly, think $60 is more than fair. It is only cardboard. To demand more than $50 for paper is outrageous to say the least...O! What a sadistic game, this Magic is...

D

Duel

Yeah, you screwed him. oh well. I would have done it too. That's too good an offer.

Yeah, I would have done it. It wasn't too bad, anyways.

not Any card, but some.

Yes.