Build-A-Deck v2: Rokapoke vs. Mooseman

Discussion in 'Games Run By CPA Members' started by rokapoke, Jan 28, 2008.

1. Mooseman Isengar Tussle

Then I'll kill the Inkshrouder
    Response?

rokapoke: 16
    Hand: 3
    Library: 43
    In Play:

(UU) Island x2
    (U) Forest
    (T) Simic Growth Chamber (~ comes into play tapped. When ~ comes into play, return a land you control to its owner's hand. T: Add GU to your mana pool.)
    (T) Llanowar Reborn (~ comes into play tapped. T: Add G to your mana pool. Graft 1.)
    (U) Tropical Island
    (T) Breeding Pool (When ~ comes into play, you may pay 2 life. If you don't, ~ comes into play tapped.)

(U) Plaxcaster Frogling (2/2; Graft 3. 2: Target creature with a +1/+1 counter on it gains shroud until EOT.) * 2 +1/+1 ctrs *
    (S) Cephalid Inkshrouder (3/2; Discard a card: ~ gains shroud until EOT and is unblockable this turn.) * 1 +1/+1 ctr *

Graveyard: Frantic Search, Island, Wasteland, Terremorphic Expanse, Horseshoe Crab, Utopia Tree, Lunar Avenger
    RFG:
    ----------------------------------------------------------

MM: 20
    Hand: 4
    Library: 46
    In Play:

(UUU) Plains x3
    (UU) Mountain x2
    (U) Ghitu Encampment (L, Ghitu Encampment comes into play tapped. {T}: Add {R} to your mana pool. {1}{R}: Ghitu Encampment becomes a 2/1 red Warrior creature with first strike until end of turn. This creature still counts as a land. (It deals combat damage before creatures without first strike.))

Leyline of Lightning ( Whenever you play a spell, you may pay 1, if you do, ~ deals 1 damage to target player)
    Goblin War Drums (Each creature you control can't be blocked except by two or more creatures.)

(U) Goblin Legionnaire (2/2, R, Sacrifice Goblin Legionnaire: Goblin Legionnaire deals 2 damage to target creature or player. W, Sacrifice Goblin Legionnaire: Prevent the next 2 damage that would be dealt to target creature or player this turn.)
    (T) Soltari Guerrillas (3/2, Shadow {0}: The next time Soltari Guerrillas would deal combat damage to defending player this turn, it deals that damage to target creature instead.)

Graveyard: Goblin Legionnaire, Wrath of God
    RFG:
  2. rokapoke Man Among Gods

Is there any way that shrouding the Inkshrouder will prevent him from dying? Cause that's what I was banking on.

If so, I'm paying 2 to do so. Tapping Island and Forest.
  3. Spiderman CPA Man in Tights, Dopey Administrative Assistant

It should, since Shroud means cannot be targeted by spells or abilities.
  4. Mooseman Isengar Tussle

I'll try to kill the Frogling next..... it cost me 0...
    This is all after damage is on the stack, so the stack looks like this

4) Replacement of damage from Soltari to Froggy
    3) Shroud on Inky
    2) Replacement of damage from Soltari to Inky
    1) damage from Soltari to Rokapoke
  5. rokapoke Man Among Gods

Is this an exercise in futility (on my part), or can I pay 2 to shroud the Frog and then my critters are safe?

I just don't know if you can then re-stack against one of them, to "beat me to the punch," as it were.

If I can pay to save Kermit, I will.
  6. Mooseman Isengar Tussle

Now that you mention it, I can kill either, since my ability cost 0...
    I'll kill the inky as I originally planned.
    And you are tapped out (what I was looking to do anyway)

Combat is over.....
    Plains
    Adarkar Valkyrie
    Done

In Play:

(TT) Island x2
    (T) Forest
    (T) Simic Growth Chamber (~ comes into play tapped. When ~ comes into play, return a land you control to its owner's hand. T: Add GU to your mana pool.)
    (T) Llanowar Reborn (~ comes into play tapped. T: Add G to your mana pool. Graft 1.)
    (T) Tropical Island
    (T) Breeding Pool (When ~ comes into play, you may pay 2 life. If you don't, ~ comes into play tapped.)

(U) Plaxcaster Frogling (2/2; Graft 3. 2: Target creature with a +1/+1 counter on it gains shroud until EOT.) * 2 +1/+1 ctrs *

Graveyard: Frantic Search, Island, Wasteland, Terremorphic Expanse, Horseshoe Crab, Utopia Tree, Lunar Avenger, Cephalid Inkshrouder
    RFG:

Hand: 2
    In Play:

(TTTT) Plains x4
    (UT) Mountain x2
    (T) Ghitu Encampment (L, Ghitu Encampment comes into play tapped. {T}: Add {R} to your mana pool. {1}{R}: Ghitu Encampment becomes a 2/1 red Warrior creature with first strike until end of turn. This creature still counts as a land. (It deals combat damage before creatures without first strike.))

Leyline of Lightning ( Whenever you play a spell, you may pay 1, if you do, ~ deals 1 damage to target player)
    Goblin War Drums (Each creature you control can't be blocked except by two or more creatures.)

(U) Goblin Legionnaire (2/2, R, Sacrifice Goblin Legionnaire: Goblin Legionnaire deals 2 damage to target creature or player. W, Sacrifice Goblin Legionnaire: Prevent the next 2 damage that would be dealt to target creature or player this turn.)
    (T) Soltari Guerrillas (3/2, Shadow {0}: The next time Soltari Guerrillas would deal combat damage to defending player this turn, it deals that damage to target creature instead.)
    (S) Adarkar Valkyrie (4/5, Flying. Vigilance. T:When target creature other than Adarkar Valkyrie is put into a graveyard this turn, return that card to play under your control.)

RFG:
  7. rokapoke Man Among Gods

This officially blows. Big time.

Untap, upkeep, draw.
    Somehow my hand, according to my spreadsheet, should have 2 cards in it. I just drew the third. Doesn't appear to matter much though.
    Morphling. Grafting from the Frog.
    Done.

In Play:

(TU) Island x2
    (T) Forest
    (U) Tropical Island
    (U) Breeding Pool (When ~ comes into play, you may pay 2 life. If you don't, ~ comes into play tapped.)

(U) Plaxcaster Frogling (1/1; Graft 3. 2: Target creature with a +1/+1 counter on it gains shroud until EOT.) * 1 +1/+1 ctrs *
    (S) Morphling (4/4; U: Untap ~. U: ~ gains flying until EOT. U: ~ gains shroud until EOT. 1: ~ gets +1/-1 until EOT. 1: ~ gets -1/+1 until EOT.)

Graveyard: Frantic Search, Island, Wasteland, Terremorphic Expanse, Horseshoe Crab, Utopia Tree, Lunar Avenger, Cephalid Inkshrouder
    RFG:

In Play:

(TTTT) Plains x4
    (UT) Mountain x2
    (T) Ghitu Encampment (L, Ghitu Encampment comes into play tapped. {T}: Add {R} to your mana pool. {1}{R}: Ghitu Encampment becomes a 2/1 red Warrior creature with first strike until end of turn. This creature still counts as a land. (It deals combat damage before creatures without first strike.))

(S) Adarkar Valkyrie (4/5, Flying. Vigilance. T:When target creature other than Adarkar Valkyrie is put into a graveyard this turn, return that card to play under your control.)

RFG:
  8. Mooseman Isengar Tussle

You can give the frog shroud in my upkeep or 1st main phase and that will keep it safe during my attack

Untap, upkeep, Draw
    Attack with Soltari
    Response?

In Play:

(TU) Island x2
    (T) Forest
    (U) Tropical Island
    (U) Breeding Pool (When ~ comes into play, you may pay 2 life. If you don't, ~ comes into play tapped.)

(U) Plaxcaster Frogling (1/1; Graft 3. 2: Target creature with a +1/+1 counter on it gains shroud until EOT.) * 1 +1/+1 ctrs *
    (S) Morphling (4/4; U: Untap ~. U: ~ gains flying until EOT. U: ~ gains shroud until EOT. 1: ~ gets +1/-1 until EOT. 1: ~ gets -1/+1 until EOT.)

RFG:

Library: 45
    In Play:

(UUUU) Plains x4
    (UU) Mountain x2
    (U) Ghitu Encampment (L, Ghitu Encampment comes into play tapped. {T}: Add {R} to your mana pool. {1}{R}: Ghitu Encampment becomes a 2/1 red Warrior creature with first strike until end of turn. This creature still counts as a land. (It deals combat damage before creatures without first strike.))

(U) Adarkar Valkyrie (4/5, Flying. Vigilance. T:When target creature other than Adarkar Valkyrie is put into a graveyard this turn, return that card to play under your control.)

RFG:
  9. rokapoke Man Among Gods

Sadly, it won't... the ability is not a "must be used during combat" ability, so I'm flat-out SOL. You could just re-stack as necessary. Thanks for the thought, though.

So no, I have no response.
  10. Mooseman Isengar Tussle

You take 3
    Goblin Legionnaire (Leyline pain)
    Done

rokapoke: 12
    In Play:

(TU) Island x2
    (T) Forest
    (U) Tropical Island

RFG:

In Play:

(UUTT) Plains x4
    (UT) Mountain x2

(S) Goblin Legionnaire (2/2, R, Sacrifice Goblin Legionnaire: Goblin Legionnaire deals 2 damage to target creature or player. W, Sacrifice Goblin Legionnaire: Prevent the next 2 damage that would be dealt to target creature or player this turn.)
    (U) Adarkar Valkyrie (4/5, Flying. Vigilance. T:When target creature other than Adarkar Valkyrie is put into a graveyard this turn, return that card to play under your control.)

RFG:
  11. rokapoke Man Among Gods

Untap, upkeep, draw.
    Forest.
    Done.

rokapoke: 12
    Library: 42
    In Play:

(UU) Island x2
    (UU) Forest x2
    (U) Simic Growth Chamber (~ comes into play tapped. When ~ comes into play, return a land you control to its owner's hand. T: Add GU to your mana pool.)
    (U) Llanowar Reborn (~ comes into play tapped. T: Add G to your mana pool. Graft 1.)
    (U) Tropical Island

(U) Morphling (4/4; U: Untap ~. U: ~ gains flying until EOT. U: ~ gains shroud until EOT. 1: ~ gets +1/-1 until EOT. 1: ~ gets -1/+1 until EOT.)

RFG:

In Play:

(UUTT) Plains x4
    (UT) Mountain x2

(S) Goblin Legionnaire (2/2, R, Sacrifice Goblin Legionnaire: Goblin Legionnaire deals 2 damage to target creature or player. W, Sacrifice Goblin Legionnaire: Prevent the next 2 damage that would be dealt to target creature or player this turn.)

RFG:
  12. Mooseman Isengar Tussle

Except that by the time damage would be dealt, your creature would have shroud, I think that would make it an illegal target.
  13. rokapoke Man Among Gods

Whichever way you would like to play it is fine by me. I honestly haven't a clue as to whether or not that ability would check if the critter is "targetable" at resolution of damage or not. So perhaps we should as for a judge.

JUDGE!
  14. Mooseman Isengar Tussle

EOT - Tap Valkyrie to target one GL, pay R and sac the targeted GL to deal 2 to you and have it return to play.
    Untap, upkeep
    Attack with Soltari for 3 to you
    Energy Bolt you for 3
    any response?
    if not, at EOT (mine), Tap Valkyrie to target one GL, tap RR and sac both GL's for game?

rokapoke: 4
    In Play:

(UU) Island x2
    (UU) Forest x2
    (U) Simic Growth Chamber (~ comes into play tapped. When ~ comes into play, return a land you control to its owner's hand. T: Add GU to your mana pool.)
    (U) Llanowar Reborn (~ comes into play tapped. T: Add G to your mana pool. Graft 1.)
    (U) Tropical Island

(U) Morphling (4/4; U: Untap ~. U: ~ gains flying until EOT. U: ~ gains shroud until EOT. 1: ~ gets +1/-1 until EOT. 1: ~ gets -1/+1 until EOT.)

RFG:

Library: 44
    In Play:

(TTTT) Plains x4
    (UU) Mountain x2

RFG:
  15. rokapoke Man Among Gods

I can, at least, Mystic Snake the Energy Bolt, giving me one last turn...
  16. Spiderman CPA Man in Tights, Dopey Administrative Assistant

It does check again on resolution of the ability or damage.
  17. Mooseman Isengar Tussle

That's what I said, in so many words, but then the original damage would hit him, since it can't be replaced by the ability.
  18. Spiderman CPA Man in Tights, Dopey Administrative Assistant

Yeah, I was just answering the question of whether it checks or not :)
  19. Mooseman Isengar Tussle

done, I think I got this right.

rokapoke: 3
    Hand: 1
    In Play:

(UU) Island x2
    (UU) Forest x2
    (U) Tropical Island

Graveyard: Frantic Search, Island, Wasteland, Terremorphic Expanse, Horseshoe Crab, Utopia Tree, Lunar Avenger, Cephalid Inkshrouder, Mystic Snake
    RFG:

In Play:

(TTTT) Plains x4
    (TT) Mountain x2

(T) Adarkar Valkyrie (4/5, Flying. Vigilance. T:When target creature other than Adarkar Valkyrie is put into a graveyard this turn, return that card to play under your control.)

Graveyard: Goblin Legionnaire, Wrath of God, Energy Bolt, Goblin Legionnaire
    RFG:
  20. rokapoke Man Among Gods

My Snake should still be in play, by the way.

Untap, upkeep, draw.
    Fly the Morphling.
    Pay 3 to give it +3/-3.
    Send all 3 critters.
    Responses/blocks?

rokapoke: 3
    In Play:

(TT) Island x2
    (UU) Forest x2
    (U) Tropical Island

(T) Plaxcaster Frogling (1/1; Graft 3. 2: Target creature with a +1/+1 counter on it gains shroud until EOT.) * 1 +1/+1 ctrs *
    (T) Morphling (7/1; U: Untap ~. U: ~ gains flying until EOT. U: ~ gains shroud until EOT. 1: ~ gets +1/-1 until EOT. 1: ~ gets -1/+1 until EOT.)
    (T) Mystic Snake (2/2; Flash. When ~ comes into play, counter target spell.)

RFG:

In Play:

(TTTT) Plains x4
    (TT) Mountain x2

(T) Adarkar Valkyrie (4/5, Flying. Vigilance. T:When target creature other than Adarkar Valkyrie is put into a graveyard this turn, return that card to play under your control.)

Graveyard: Goblin Legionnaire, Wrath of God, Energy Bolt, Goblin Legionnaire
    RFG: