Brushhopper Control

• Thread starter Shiro, Time Devourer
  • Start date
S

Shiro, Time Devourer

Antilife Shell
3BB
Enchantment
Non-artifact creatures can't be played. If a non-artifact creature would come into play, it instead remains in its original zone (hint hint). If a creature would be put into a graveyard from play, remove it from the game instead.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
I'm comparing this to Aether Storm(?), where the cost is 3U... so perhaps this needs to be upped to 3B.

F

FoundationOfRancor

Well, the Storm had a clause to destroy it....hmmm...maybe this should be cc'ed at 4BB? It's very powerful.

S

Shiro, Time Devourer

3BB sounds good, and I'll have artifact creatures excluded from the enchantment.

T

train

Doesn't hunting gorunds and sneak attack still get around this...

I think you need to word it differently...

Put into play is not the same as playing... comes into play is a statement used to determine "when" a trigger event occurs, so putting them into play would happen before any comes into play effects could trigger or check...

maybe something like...

Non-Artifact Creatures can't be played. Abilities that would put a non-artifact creature into play cannot be played. Non-Artifact creature abilities cannot be played.

That should cover all the bases...

J

Jigglypuff

I'm rather confused by your statement. This is not a triggered ability. It is a replacement ability that replaces the act of "a non-artifact creature coming into play" with "instead it doesn't". Hunting Grounds and Sneak Attack do not get around this card by any means. If you tried to put a non-artifact creature into play by one of these cards, it would remain in your hand instead.

By current templating, the card would read like this:

Antilife Shell
3BB
Enchantment
Players may not play non-artifact creature spells.
If a non-artifact creature would come into play, instead it doesn't.
If a non-artifact creature would be put into a graveyard from play, remove it from the game instead. (Though I don't understand why this is necessary)

(- Steve -)

S

Shiro, Time Devourer

The Planar Void thing is meant to hose incarnations and cycling creatures. Perhaps I should Planar Void opponents' creatures only?

J

Jigglypuff

Makes sense.

Antilife Shell
3BB
Enchantment
If a non-artifact creature would come into play, instead it doesn't.
If a non-artifact creature card would be put into a graveyard, remove it from the game instead.

The change makes sure that a creature card will be removed from the game, no matter how it reaches the graveyard.

(- Steve -)

F

FoundationOfRancor

"If a non-artifact creature comes into, it doesent"?

Then what happens to it?

J

Jigglypuff

It remains where it was. Pretty much the same thing as the original post, just tightened up a bit to fit within current templating.

(- Steve -)

Z

Zero T Katama

How about:

Antilife Shell
3BB
Enchantment
Spells or abilites that would put a creature into play cannot be played.
If a non-artifact creature card would be put into a graveyard, remove it from the game instead.

J

Jigglypuff

Our two versions are similar, but they aren't quite the same thing, though the difference is extremely subtle. Take this sequence of events:

1) Play a Saber Ants
2) Play Antilife Shell
3) Bolt my Saber Ants

The difference between our versions is at step 3. With your version, I would get the tokens because I didn't play the ability that put them into play. Rather, a triggered ability put the tokens into play.

404.2. Triggered abilities aren't played. Instead, a triggered ability automatically "triggers" each time its trigger event occurs. Once an ability has triggered, it goes on the stack the next time a player would receive priority.

It's a minor nitpicky thing, but it changes how the card works and how it interacts with other cards.

(- Steve -)

T

Thallid Ice Cream Man

Originally posted by Jigglypuff
It remains where it was.
Namely the stack?
That won't work.
Phase it out or something.

J

Jigglypuff

That's covered by the first sentence. Nobody can play non-artifact creature spells, so none of them can get stuck on the stack. The "If a non-artifact creature would come into play, instead it doesn't." clause is to make sure creatures can't be put into play by Sneak Attack or Living Death or one of a hundred other cards.

(- Steve -)