Broken for replenish

L

Lythand

I was looking though some of the blue cards from Prophecy and these are some of the cards I noticed that just help replenish a bit more.

Foil 2UU
Discard an Island and another card and counter target spell.

Isnt that the purpose to put enchantment cards in the graveyard?? So the alternate casting cost of this is hardly a draw back. And since I use Thwart in my replenish deck, I think this is a much beter alternate casting cost.

Hieghtened awarness. 3UU
When Hieghtened Awareness comes into play, discard your hand. Draw a card at the begining of your draw phase.

MAJOR CARD ADVANTAGE! Now you draw additional cards, you just put MORE enchantments in the graveyard for Replenish,
Its now a premenant Frantic search (and cumulative), and when opalesance is in play, its a 5/5 beating stick.

Over Burden 1U

When a creature card is put into play that creatures owner returns a land to his hand.

Again, major help. Since replenish doesnt play creature cards. If not a main deck card, then defenitly a side card.

And last but not least,

Rhystic scrying 2UU

Draw three cards. if any player pays 2, discard 3 cards.

Like this is a draw back for replenish.

I dont know. Its like saying, "Well replenish just kisks every ones ass. Lets make it so it kicks thier ass so they cant get back up."

M

Mr_Pestilence

Great points.

Unfortunately, the DCI is as blind as a bat when it comes to Replenish, so we'll just have to put up with Replenish until it cycles out. The next opportunity for bannings is September, and by the time they take effect, Replenish will be gone from Type II, but still mucking things up in Extended.

Replenish should have never been created, and should have been banned last year. It's simply an unfair card.

L

Lythand

I dont know. You are right that it is too strong. They should of given it like a six instead of four casting cost.
And maybe restricted it in standard.

D

Duel

Right. Do shut up. The last thing I want to hear is another person facinated by replenish's brokenness.I know, I know, it's broken. woohoo (insert dripping sarcasm here). How about yall try and think up something new, like not replenish, not bargain related, eh?

I

Istanbul

Real nice, Duel. God forbid we should talk about Magic in a Magic-related forum. *sarcasm*

I think this is the perfect topic, especially considering how we're discussing how many new cards fit into Replenish. If you don't like the subject we're discussing, don't click on the thread.

G

Gumby Khan

Ain't that the truth, Istanbul! In another thread, I commented on how Dual Nature will affect Replenish.

Dual Nature
4GG, Enchantment, Rare
Whenever a creature card comes into play, its controller puts a creature token into play, treat this token as a duplicate of the creature.
Whenever a creature card leaves play, destroy all tokens with the same name as that creature.
If Dual Nature is removed from play, remove all token creatures created by Dual Nature from the game.

Basically, double all the Parallax enchantments that come in, which means they can basically fade out your entire rebel army and lands, before crushing you with two 6/6 Dual Nature creatures, two 4/4 Parallax Wave creatures, and two 4/4 Parallax tide creatures. That's only 28 points of damage, no biggie on turn four, huh? :(

Hey, just got the word that Dual Nature doesn't work with Opalescence, since it only looks for creature cards. Oops, my bad, but my rant stands. Prophecy was made to make Replenish decks dominate even more! ;)

Prophecy just increased a broken combo to the point of insanity. WTF were they thinking? You old timers remember how Necro cast a dark shadow on constructed Magic, back a few years? Well, welcome to the Summer of Replenish! Please take a seat and if you are playing Replenish, go ahead and smack your opponent, unless he too is playing Replenish. In this case, you both may pass GO and collect $200. Thank you for choosing "BrokenCombo.WOTC" airlines, enjoy your vacation! Buh-bie, b'bie, bugh-by...

Until Invasion comes, you can find me in the back alley. I'll be the one with Elvish Lyrist stapled to my clothes and mumbling, while pushing an old shopping cart full of Pokemon cards. "Hey, buddy, can ya' spare some mana?"

[Edited by Gumby Khan on June 6th, 2000 at 01:57 AM]

L

Lythand

Gumby khan,

I didnt think there was anyone as demented as i am. Thanks for not making me feel alone..heheheh :)

C

Chaos Turtle

Not to mention Sheltering Prayers, the perfect sideboard card versus the strategy of denying Replenish its lands.
Simply don't play the 4th land until you need it; Attune and Frantically Search at will.

D

Duel

I know, I know. Someone stole my replenish deck and now I'm peeved at all replenish decks. Prophecy makes replenish god, and I never thought I'd say this, but I can't wait until it cycles out.

A

Apollo

Just a minute, Gumby. Replenish hasn't been dominant that long. When they were creating Prophecy, they probably had no idea that Replenish would be creaming everybody. So don't blame them for Prophecy. What you should be doing is blaming them for the Urza's sets! :)

Apollo

M

Multani

Tag Guard

Don't blame the Urza sets!
I thought Urza, was one of the best sets. (Next to Tempest, of course.)
I don't know why everyone is pissed off at the Urza Block.
Replensh decks rely on Replenish. In tournement, they may dominate, but in casual, especially Multiplayer, I'll bet replenish doesn't stand a chance.
I'm betting a fast counter deck could easily destroy replenish. :D

L

Lythand

Well with a few minor adjustments...Replenish can dominate Multiplayer games too...Beleive me ..I know..

I

Istanbul

What's wrong with Urza's Block?
Well, let's make a list.

Free spells.
The two most broken creatures ever made (Morphling & Masticore).
Replenish/Opalescence in the SAME SET.
Tolarian Academy.
Gaea's Cradle.
Yawgmoth's Bargain, Academy Rector, and Soul Feast in the SAME SET.
Treachery.
Grim Monolith.

I could keep going, but all of the above cards are *HORRIBLY, UNBELIEVABLY BROKEN* and should never have been printed.

Urza's Block is a disaster. I'll be glad to see it gone.

A

Apollo

Nothing can "easily destroy Replenish." And if you play that fast counter deck in multiplayer, you might beat the Replenish deck. But you'll be destroyed by everyone else. And as for it not being that good in casual, casual decks usually aren't as fine-tuned, as quick, or efficient as tournament decks. So Replenish will be even more dominating in a casual environment. Urza's block is messed up. There are more broken cards in that block than there should be in every set put together. If you don't know why everyone is pissed at Urza's block, you don't pay a whole lot of attention. Istanbul's post sums it up pretty well.

Apollo

G

Gumby Khan

I blame Prophecy, because WOTC should've known better. Replenish isn't so dominating? Hmmm...let's see. Four of the top eight decks at Japan Nationals were replenish (almost identical, too). Replenish is in every Type II tournament all over the world and most win hands down. WOTC knows this BEFORE Prophecy comes out and what do they do? Hey, let's make it easier for Replenish decks to fill their graveyard! Poof...Foil! How about another control enchantment? Poof...Rystic Deluge! How about some defense against fast creature decks? Poof...Overburden! Land destruction? Poof...Sheltering Prayers! Come on, now. I thought the object of Magic was to NOT have a dominant deck. Rock should beat scissors and lose to paper. Now, WOTC made Rock so hot, it burns paper and melts scissors! Granted, Urza is rotating out, but until then...you know where to find me. ;)

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Let's all remember that sets are playtested 2 years in advance, which means Replenish decks probably weren't around then.

L

Lythand

One thing we all fail to realize. Whether its replenish, Bargain, Living Death, We are always going to see a broken card..or and abused card. Ok lets just asume replenish wasnt made. Then there would of been some other card that would of been broken in some way. The contest on the front page of CPA is an exaple. People taking cards and making combos of them. Thats what we do with new sets. And the most popular and efficiant ones get made and titled "broken". Lets just say that Replenish, shock, and Carnival of souls where all of a 3 card set. Well of course we would say Replenish is the broken card of the set. So lets say that the set was just Shock and carnival of souls. Well we would think probably shock is the broken card of the set. Even though its a 2 card set..its the best one..right? Well its all how we see a card and use it. Anybodu with a little creativity can break a card. So we really cant blame Replenish.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
There's a difference between a "good/best" card of the set and "broken" card of the set. A card is "broken" when it singlehandedly dominates the tourney scene; it's just so good and beats everything else no matter what else is out there. Thus, most everyone plays it.

A good/best card is one that is good in most decks but doesn't dominate; it's not a "I win" when you draw it. It'll probably help towards that goal of course, but it doesn't win the game by itself. It's not really a deck archetype by itself.

M

Multani

Tag Guard

I'm really trying to hold my temper. :mad:
Granted Urza Saga has it's fair share of powerful cards.
But I think that doesn't make it a bad set. I think every now and then, WOTC should make a powerful set, just to spice up the game.
Apollo- In a multigame, people will probably destroy Replenish first, as overall, it's avery powerful deck.

Istanbul- Morphling is powerful, granted, but a Terror or a Swords to Plowshare would do the trick.
Overall, Urza Block has given me a good impression.
The point is: I LIKE THE URZA BLOCK AND THERE'S NOTHING YOU CAN DO TO CHANGE THAT! :mad:

I think I've made my point...