Bringers and Lairs

C

Crackdown

I've tried searching this topic, but haven't found it.

What's the thought on using the Planeshift lairs to get a Bringer out early in a two-color deck or in conjunction with a City of Brass?

Or, what about the early dark ritual use in exchange for a land returned to hand on turn two?

J

jorael

Could work, but the Lairs are slow. I've seen Limited use Lair lands in combination with Burgeoning. That is awesome.

Your suggesting dark ritual, why not go 3 colors and add Pentad Prism? It also gives you the needed mana and could make a turn 3 bringer possible :)

T

TheCasualOblivion

I've seen lairs work well with Rampant Growth and Harrow. I'd assume the same with Llanowar elves and other green acceleration. Still it ofsets the mana acceleration, but it is somewhat useful for a solid mana base for a 4 or 5 color deck.

M

Mikeymike

Lairs are solid cards for playing 3-color decks, but I'm not sure how great they are for 5-color Bringers....yet. Theoretically multi-colored lands will be helpful with this kind of spell, but I wonder if the land-bounce counteracts the speed of the Bringers ACC.

Joreal is right, Pentad Prism is much better than the Ritual if you are going for quick colored mana. It isn't nearly as fast, but you'll actually be able to use the mana for the ACC.

Dual lands of course would make this all far easier, as they always do. And if you do have duals, may I suggest Nature's Lore, Skyshroud Claim, Tithe, and/or Krosan Verge.

K

Killerbob

Theoretically multi-colored lands will be helpful with this kind of spell, but I wonder if the land-bounce counteracts the speed of the Bringers ACC.
Seems right. Lairs are slow and using cards like rampant growth to regain the tempo doesnt convince me. Wouldnt it be better then to play other lands than lairs + fertile ground? Fertile ground wins tempo. I dont believe in lairs + bringers. 5 colors isnt that dificult anymore, but you have to have duals...

Possible uses for lairs are an interresting discussion anyway. I played them in a sliver deck with horn of greed, exploration and rivalry. Not too impressive, but some of the ideas might work.

Lairs + city of traders is great, but do you really want a land which can produce 2 colorless mana in the same deck as lands which can produce 3 different colors?

Lairs+ MM depletion lands might be possible too.

Is there any way to put them into play with instant speed? If so you can use them to protect other lands.

F

Force of Will Smith

Lairs only slow you down a little. Besides you only need one of the color.

I have a legend dragon deck that exploits the familiars and the 5 legendary dragons.

Lair lands are really good, just not on turn 1.
Besides, you TAP the land you're going to return before you return it.

Turn 1, Forest
Turn 2, Tap forest, play lair, return land, your choice of

1G, 1B, 1R, 1U. Would be very good for one of a color that you need. Not sure about netting BURGW all at once. It'd be ridiculous, you'd have like 3 lair lands in play so youd have to at least have 7 lands played, or a rampant growth/harrow and 4-5 lands dropped if you were to do it like that.

I think it is a really good idea for zuberas though.

K

Killerbob

yes, of course you tap it before it bounces. 1 lair doesnt slow you that much down, but more than 1 lair in opening hand just isnt funny...