Boros Fury Shield

M

Mikeymike

This card makes me do like this...

:)

Boros Fury Shield - 2W
Instant - Common
Prevent all combat damage that would be dealt by target attacking or blocking creature this turn.
If R was spent to play Boros Fury-Shield, it deals damage to that creature’s controller equal to the creature’s power.

It only took 10 years, but they finally printed an alternate version of Reflect Damage, the original offensively defensive card. And personally, I believe this card is superior to the original...and it's common to boot (vs. Rare for the RD).

Shield advantages:
- 2 mana cheaper
- Can be played w/o red mana
- Common

RD advantages:
- Can be used on instants, sorceries (always fun to flick a Fault Line back at someone)
- Can be used on activated abilities of permanents

There are 3 key reasons why I feel new is better than old.

1 - My guess is that 20% or less of the time, you wish you could target something other than a combative creature. IMO, that 20% is washed away by the 40% lower casting cost of the Shield.
2 - It is far easier to hold 3 mana back for an instant than it is 5 mana.
3 - Psychologically it is easier to play. OK, let me try to explain this. Because you don't have to spend 5 mana on the spell, you will be much more willing to use it early and/or on a non-bomb. When you have to sit 5-mana back on an instant, you are much more likely to try to optimize its' casting with the perfect opportunity. If you use it on a 4/4, it almost feels like a waste. But that concern should not occur a 3-mana spell.

Anyone else as excited about the Shield as I am?

Man, do I like this set.

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
I agree. It's definitely better than Reflect Damage. I'm not sure how much use it will see though...

F

Force of Will Smith

i think this could be potentially game winning.. especially with the fatties in ravnica...

but i think it'll mainly have an impact in extended.. losing 11 life could be pretty bad.
I like this card how its basically a reprint of backlash with slightly more options (blocking)