Born again MTG Virgin..

C

Child of Gaea

Hi guys! After this long time away, I now have a couple months of reacquainting myself with some of the older things and some of the newer things as well. After going through what I have left and trying to decide what makes sense, I have my first deck idea jumping out at me. What ideas do you all have for cards to go along with this general idea...

4 Fulminator Mage
4 Crucible of Worlds
3 Lion's Eye Diamond
4 Wasteland
4 Inquisition of Kozilek
4 Duress
4 Mox Diamond
4 Bloodghast
4 Hymn to Tourach
4 Sinkhole
4 Badlands
4 Blood Crypt
4 Thoughtseize

I like Nether Shadows and possibly Demigod of Revenge. Maybe things like Avalanche Riders, or Stone Rains. There are cards I dont know I'm sure and I'm sure some of these cards could be substituted with others. Damnation is another idea. Give me some more! Maybe splash blue for that card that you put half your library into graveyard.... The Abyss for lockdown?

C

Child of Gaea

Gemstone Mines with the Crucibles sounds neat...

C

Child of Gaea

Rakdos's Return seems like a fit. maybe the deck idea sucks?

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
The deck idea doesn't suck, but it's difficult for me to evaluate. Here's why...

You're using very powerful old cards that often show up in Legacy decks. There are two kinds of people who own playsets of Lion's Eye Diamond, Sinkhole, Wasteland, Badlands, and such. The first kind are serious Legacy tournament players. The second kind are people who have been playing since before those cards became prohibitively expensive, and simply never got rid of their old cards, despite not really being avid tournament players. I'm in the second category (I haven't actually played in a tournament in years). But because I don't tend to see casual decks using these cards, when I see cards like these, I think in terms of Legacy, because that's where they're most visible. In terms of Legacy, your list is most similar to Pox-type monoblack control decks (which do use Smallpox, but don't typically maindeck copies of Pox anymore, although it does still show up sometimes). Your deck differs from those decks in some important ways, and would not be able to fill the same niche in tournaments. But there's absolutely nothing wrong with that: you didn't say you thought you had a competitive Legacy concept here. This doesn't need to be compared to tournament black control decks, since it isn't intended to be one. But I just don't know what else to compare it to. You'd need to find like-minded opponents. Maybe where you are that's an easy thing to do. If so, congratulations. Otherwise, I see this either being trounced by finely-tuned Delver decks or making the new school casual kiddies cry when you Sinkhole their lands.

Anyway, as for the details, I wouldn't splash red. I'd either cut it entirely or bring enough in for the deck to be a true B/R deck, perhaps with Stone Rain, Lightning Bolt, and such.

C

Child of Gaea

You nailed a couple of things. Firstly, I only have those cards because they were near worthless when I sold most my collection and quit the game. I am in no way some elite legacy player hehe. Secondly, I have no other point in making this deck other than these are the cards I have. I have no one to play with and am basically a collector now... I traded 4 Ancient Tomb for the 4 Sinkholes. I pulled a Blood Crypt and a Foil One which I traded for 3 regular ones to get the set. I traded 2 Maze of Ith, 4 Energy Fields and some random for the Crucibles. I traded a Snapcaster I pulled from a 6$ Innistrad pack for a Fulminator Mage which I would like 3 more of. Thoughtseizes I got for playsets of brainstorms, dazes, lightning bolts, etc which I had vast multitudes of. Hopefully going by Tcg prices and staying away from new stuff I'm not devaluing my collection!

I am stuck in this limbo of wanting to be involved in the game, but really have no community around me. I have disposable income, and just feel I should have at least one deck that showcases a few of the valuable cards I have left. I have been trading quite a bit on MOTL mostly to complete sets but also towards this deck. I love B/R and I think Rakdos Return and things would be fun to play with. Bringing in Lightning Bolts was a duh on my part , should have been in original list. Stone rains and Pillages also are in my mind.

I have made a few dozen casual decks to play with my sons out of the 10k or so cards I have and that is where the core of my fun is at ATM. We could play a homelands only night and be happy with that enough! A part of me however wouldn't mind rolling into a gameshop for the first time in a decade and making some kids cry as I sinkhole their lands as you said hahahaha! Thanks for the reply!