boredom induced mono color decks!

D

Doombringer

today and yesterday I was quite bored, and created some quick decks by just going through my cards, picking ones I liked and making decks based on them. I came up with 3 contestants: a mono red goblin and burn deck, a mono blue deck that has some countering but no real focus, and I revised my mono green big creature deck which before, quite frankly sucked(and probably still does). these decks sometimes have only two or three copys of cards which probably should have 4 copys and the story behind that is, well I'm not rich, nor is my collection all powerful, and I'm too lazy to work for money. I'll put little stars in the places where I think it really would have helped to have 4.

Heres the lowdown on contestant number one!
land
18 mountain
18 land(go figure)

creatures
4 goblin grappler
3 spark elemental*
2 vulshok berserker
1 goblin lookout
2 shaleskin plower
2 macetail hystrodon(a bigger guy if the game drags on)
3 chartooth cougar*(in here for the same reason as the macetails, and for the mountaincycling)
2 goblin striker*
2 ridgetop raptor
1 crested craghorn
1 rock jockey*
1 spikeshot goblin(works well with fists of the anvil)
1 goblin sky raider
25 creatures

other
3 electrostatic bolt
4 fists of the anvil
3 barbed lightning*
1 magma jet*
2 carbonize*
2 wave of indifference
1 threaten
1 sizzle
17 other

60 cards

If I could, I'd add more goblins(like rock jockeys, strikers) and take out some beasts to make room(the useless spikeshot goblin will go too).
maybe:
- 1 spikeshot
- 2 vulshok berserker
- 1 crested craghorn
- 2 ridgetop rapter
+ 3 rock jockey
+ 2 goblin striker
+ 1 spark elemental

also I would take out the electrostatic bolts, threaten and wave of indifferences to add more magma jet, carbonize and barbed lightning.

Now onto contestant number two!

land
20 island
20 land

creatures
1 wall of air
2 wind drake
4 shoreline ranger
2 willbender*(great counter card)
4 wanderguard sentry
1 fighting drake
1 peregrine drake
1 wormfang drake
1 air elemental
1 vizzerdrix
2 wall of deceit
1 prodigal sorcerer
1 fatespinner
1 daring apprentice
1 callous oppressor
24 creatures

other
2 eyes of the watcher
1 unsummon*
1 spy network
1 future sight
1 flight
3 counterspell*
1 complicate*
1 serum visions*
1 crown of ascension
2 boomerang*
1 ancestral memories
1 confiscate
16 other

60 cards

Not much to say, I'd take out spy network, the crown, and flight to add to the counterers, maybe remove a few creatures.

And now welcome contestant number three to the stage!

land
3 temple of the false god*
18 forest
21 land

creatures
2 spitting gourna
2 needleshot gourna
2 fangren firstborn
4 fierce empath
4 krosan drover
3 elvish abberation*
2 trolls of tel - jilad
1 enourmous baloth
1 (even more enourmous) krosan cloudscraper
1 ancient ooze
1 darksteel gargoyle
1 root elemental*
25 creatures

other
1 oxidize
2 naturalize
2 dawns reflection
3 accelerated mutation*
1 fireshreiker*
2 paradise mantle
4 whispersilk cloak
15 other

60 cards

I added a little artifact hate and some okay mana accel, and stayed steady with the cloaks. the area of this deck that really got a makeover was the creatures. I added some flyer stoppers, kept the empath/scraper/root combo(fetch root elemental and cloudscraper with empaths, and use roots morph ability to get the scraper into play without all the mana problems), took out most of the random fatties, and added a few better ones.

I would like suggestions for these decks, but not card suggestions("add birds o' paradise man!") as I don't plan to spent any money fixing them up. Rather, I want suggestions on what to do to the whole decks("less goblins, more burn" or "more little geen creatures!").

Also, I have an old black/white cleric deck just sitting around collecting dust. Should I dismantle it for parts, or keep it around for old times sake?

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
If you're not currently playing with it, I'd write down its contents so you can construct it later if you had to and then take it apart to use its parts.

T

train

keeping the decklist is always a good thing - especially for good oldies...

the decks look okay - except for the blue one...;)

D

Doombringer

I want to make mono black and white decks, but I gave my better stuff to a friend. And I don't know what direction to go in for a mono artifact deck. I'd "splash" blue for engineers, and a few others, but I don't know what to focus on. Any suggestions?

T

train

Artifacts - don't splash for engineers - just run the Myrs... Urza lands... etc...

black - knights, or discard...

white - knights, or soldiers...

T

train

spidey's right - if you want a creature themed B deck, rats, vampires, and even zombies would do well...

Are you wanting creature decks per say...

D

Doombringer

I want to put blistering firecats in the red deck (where else?), are they good enough to buy for it?

T

train

I think they're worth it... depends on the price you pay - ebay maybe?...

D

Doombringer

Definately not getting them over the internet. I was thinking local card shop.

D

Doombringer

shipping costs, parents, lack of trust, never done it beore, no way to ensure quality or even getting the cards. I feel its much more safe to have a hand to hand transaction than a country to country one.

T

train

The CPA is a good place to try it for the first time - we have a trading thread for a reason, and all trades have gone really well for me...

:cool:

D

Doombringer

Well, my favorite local card shop was closed because the owners in seattle restocking, so I went to another place, and they had the firecats for $12.00 (canadian)

Do you guys have any firecats? I have a solemn simulacrum, and some other ok rares. I don't know if my parents would approve still.

T

train

I'll check on the firecats - but it's probably best to get your parent's approval...:cool:

Look at it this way - it could cost you postage, instead of 12.00 at the shop - and if you're trading cards you don't really play with - It seems beneficial to you to save the money and get the cards you want.;)

D

Doombringer

I don't value a peice of cardboard to be $12.00, no matter what it has written on it. And anyways, I'm saving up for other things right now.

Option one: I pay $48.00 for the four cards.
or,
Option two: I pay shipping and handling and a few cards I'll never actually use for the four cards, with the risk of never getting them
or,
Option three: I don't get the cards at all and have that money for things like Halo 2 and a better card binder(my current is a converted photo album with flowers on it, bleh).

I dont want the cards enough to put halo 2 in second place, I want option three.(unless I can get a really good deal on blistering cats at my regular shop or from someone here)

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
I've never worried about having a good binder. Someone else might have a fancy binder, but I have a Relentless Pony deck! :D

D

Doombringer

It sorta gets to you when the store owner remembers you by "Hey, the flower binder kid!"